0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: what is a good startersrack?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 21-Dec-99  @  07:29 AM   -   what is a good startersrack?

eddy_koek

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi, i wanna buy a fx-rack and was wondering which one to get. I was thinking of the Digitech s100 or maybe the Zoom 1204. Any suggestions?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 27-Dec-99  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: what is a good startersrack?

nobody

Link?:  Link

save a bit and go for a TC m1

Message 3/7                 Date: 29-Dec-99  @  04:20 AM   -   RE: what is a good startersrack?

digiphallus

Hi, I've never used the S100, but I have used a Zoom1204 extensively. I'd say go with the 1204, as it has knobs for every function. Not sure about the S100, but the Zoom has midi input...this is pretty cool, as most of the functions on the 1204 can be controlled via midi. You could say program the delay time to drop on a drum track so it starts stuttering. There's various effects and combination effects. Keep in mind you can only have one effect at a time, though. But the effects are pretty editable, and there's room to save your own. The distortion is good for vocals, because it doesn't feed back at really high levels. The delays are pretty good, but there's not a whole lot of sample time available. The pitchshift is ok, but only if you're pitching down...use it on some drumloops, and it turns the loop into stormtroopers marching. The flanger and chorus are kinda weak, but useable. It's a useful unit, especially for the used prices I've seen them for!

Message 4/7                 Date: 29-Dec-99  @  04:22 AM   -   RE: what is a good startersrack?

digiphallus

Forgot, it does have a vocoder effect as well, but it's pretty limited.

Message 5/7                 Date: 29-Dec-99  @  08:30 AM   -   RE: what is a good startersrack?

Purple Haze

Hey digiphallus... What about the noise ? The 1201 is noisy as hell (but a real bargain too), what about the 1204 ?

Message 6/7                 Date: 30-Dec-99  @  04:50 AM   -   RE: what is a good startersrack?

digiphallus

Hey, I don't have much to compare to, I've used a few other fx but I don't think the 1204 is really that noisy at all. My ART FXr Elite is noisier. It's got 18bit DAC's I believe, so while it's probably not the best out there, it certainly can't be the worst. The 1201 is pretty much engineered towards lofi and grittiness, so it's not too suprising that it's noisy. The 1204 has a few lofi oriented effects like the vocoder "effect" (I say effect, because it's not nearly as powerful as a talker or dedicated unit), but it's more all-purpose home studio oriented. For the used prices, you'd be daft not to pick one up, but for new, there's alot of competition out now. I've heard the Virtualizer is a knock off of the 1204, but I've never used one, so....
I think the Zoom is best for industrial or harsh techno...the reverbs, pitchshifts, etc, can really twist sounds. With some stompboxes, you could really generate some sonic blasts!

Message 7/7                 Date: 03-Jan-00  @  02:04 AM   -   RE: what is a good startersrack?

nomad

Link?:  Link

just pointing out something that's seemed to be ignored
everywhere...musicians friend is blowing out
the kawai rv-4 for $149. i don't know much about
it, but it's got 4 SEPARATE STEREO inputs/outputs
+ 1 digital i/o (optical..what were they smoking?)
i guess it's just like the fx on the k5000s. each
effect is single and of course you can chain
them internally like a dp/4 (at least it looks that way?)
probably doesn't sound as good but hey it's $149.
18 bits dacs too. maybe they don't have it anymore,
i just got the catalog a few days ago and i don't
know how old it was (within a month but you know how
these things go...) if nothing else give each of your synths
a dedicated delay...or a dedicated midi-controlled
volume/panner   (i think it's midi controllable..i really
don't know for sure...)

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum