0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: id box that does this

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10                 Date: 14-Feb-01  @  08:37 PM   -   id box that does this

druma

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I need to convert unbalnced signal to balanced.. is there a 8 in 8 out rack out there by someone..?
thx.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/10                 Date: 19-Feb-01  @  12:26 AM   -   RE: id box that does this

influx

Link?:  Link

hehe..Im tellin ya its DI, not ID!!!!!

Ill keep my eyes out for ya...

Message 3/10                 Date: 19-Feb-01  @  09:53 AM   -   RE: id box that does this

jas

Check out a company called "speck electronics"... They're stuff is pretty expensive...but kicks ass.

Message 4/10                 Date: 20-Feb-01  @  02:36 AM   -   RE: id box that does this

druma

jay.. more expensif stuff, I'll take a look thanks jas.. & influx u r just going to hunt me forever.. aren't u =)

Message 5/10                 Date: 20-Feb-01  @  07:31 AM   -   RE: id box that does this

influx

actually..Im trying to correct you..save you some embarassment because if you walk in to/email/call some shop and ask for an ID box theyre gonna fuck with you.

honestly...Ill be willing to be taht the piece I offered you is gonna be your cheapest solution!

you could always buy 8 cheap behringer DI boxes or the like. not rackmount tho...

lemme know and Ill get you a pic of what i have

Message 6/10                 Date: 20-Feb-01  @  09:41 AM   -   RE: id box that does this

jas

Oh yeah...just remembered that Whirlwind makes stereo DI boxes...then you'd only need four.

Message 7/10                 Date: 22-Feb-01  @  05:29 AM   -   RE: id box that does this

influx

wow..doesnt anyone make multi IO boxes?

guess not, cuz if the DID..we wouldnt have needed to have em custom made now would we? 

Message 8/10                 Date: 22-Feb-01  @  03:40 PM   -   RE: id box that does this

nomad

i thought i saw some 4 channel doohickeys on musicians friend...hmm let's see...

ok i just went, they have (for sure) a behringer box that does 4 channel (almost $200!! though) and a proco db-4 that probably does 4 channel
but they didn't have much info on it. so they are out there.

if you just want balancing....supposedly it's pretty easy to wire up but not cheap!! if you go to either

http://www.jensen-transformers.com

or

http://www.sescom.com

both of them sell transformers, and you can put as many as you want in a box. on the jensen site they have some application notes, and you will see that for example as-002 or as-052 that the "balancing" circuit really isn't all that much, just the transformer, the jacks, and maybe a couple resistor and capacitors. however, go to the price list...ack! the jensens (the good ones) are like $70 each, and the sescoms, i'm not sure which ones you use there yet (didn't look around too much, but i'm sure they have application notes etc. too and could help you out) but the cheapest i saw there was around $40 or so (in quantities of 1 of course, prices go down as quantities go up).

anyways....just a note. i thought to run balanced, though, you would want to go unbalanced->balanced as soon as possible, maybe even inside the box? you could mount the balancing transformer right in the synth and mod it for balanced outputs this way....hmm sounds interesting.... anyway my point was you want the conversion as close to the synth as possible, and putting
8 in a rack, unless you are mostly rackmount synths, seems to lose the purpose... there's nothing magic about balanced signals after all, unless you are doing long runs....

btw, they also have app notes for hum eliminators on the jensen site, if you need some of those  

Message 9/10                 Date: 22-Feb-01  @  03:51 PM   -   RE: id box that does this

nomad

i should probably add....transformer balancing is supposed to sound the best (transformer unbalancing as well of course!) but it's fairly easy to do with op amps too... a little more involved because it must be powered though.
basically you can use a dual, you want each one set to unity gain
(preferably, since they are active you can add a 14db boost to go from
-10 to +4 etc if you want), one is a buffer, one is an inverter (basically
on one you attach it to the + terminal, the other you attach it to the - terminal). pretty simple circuit. obviously the outputs of each opamp go to the two
lines on the balanced connection.

this is a lot cheaper, since you can
probably get a wallwart to do the power (you're talking low voltage
so set up correctly even a 9v battery might do...or 9v wall wart etc.), and
decent op amps are only $1-2 each.......

for the DIY type person   i haven't bothered...i don't see a lot to gain from balancing in my studio....

Message 10/10                 Date: 22-Feb-01  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: id box that does this

influx

haha..so my $400 for an 8 IO balancing transformer is a damn good price!!! 

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum