0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Noise in the mix (Yamaha 01v)

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 09-Feb-01  @  09:42 PM   -   Noise in the mix (Yamaha 01v)

tomasyv

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi there!

I'm having a "problem" with my Yamaha 01v mixer. I am very happy with the sound I am getting from this mixer, however I cannot seem to get rid of all the noise in my recordings. I have a decent set up consisting of Roland, E-mu and Korg synths connected to the analog ins on the desk. I also use the digital in for my e-mu sampler. The thing is that the stereo out meter show some noise in the area between -72 to -60. This isnt really a big problem but I just thought it would be possible to get rid of this without using a gate on the stereo out. Anyone have a clue!? (I also use the 26db pad switches so i'm able to gain the inputs correctly)

Regards
Tomas

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 09-Feb-01  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: Noise in the mix (Yamaha 01v)

johnny

hmm, most likely that your other gear is carrying noise into the mixer. The noise floor on the 01V is so low that any external noise is rather noticeable in the system. Might just be one synth carrying a lot of noise, gating the stereo out will solve the problem but it doesn't tell you what the cause is. So try gating each mixer channel in turn rather than the stereo out, you should find that the origin of the noise becomes apparent.

Message 3/7                 Date: 09-Feb-01  @  11:10 PM   -   RE: Noise in the mix (Yamaha 01v)

tomasyv

Hi thanks for the reply!!

The MC-505 seems to carry most of the noise. However, there stil seems to be a tiny bit of noise coming from the other bits of kit too. Is this normal or could there be other causes to the problem? In other words is it possible to get rid of all the noise without gating each channel?? It just seems strange to me that all those new synths carry noise at all...

Message 4/7                 Date: 09-Feb-01  @  11:27 PM   -   RE: Noise in the mix (Yamaha 01v)

johnny

yeah, you'll find most stuff carries some noise into the 01V to a greater or lesser degree. FX units are a major source of noise, especially those which rely on feedback algorithms like flangers and phasers. Many modern synths are fairly noisy, partly because of the built in FX which are usually not up to much. See if bypassing the synth's FX does anything.

Aside of gating everything (either in the 01V or using external hardware gates) a good way of keeping everything quiet is to use the mute automation (via MIDI) on the 01V to turn off each channel when it's not playing anything. Takes quite a bit of planning but at least you don't use up the 01V's dynamics just for gating.

Message 5/7                 Date: 09-Feb-01  @  11:48 PM   -   RE: Noise in the mix (Yamaha 01v)

tomasyv

OK. I'll try this! Thanks again man! And when we are at it; What is the best way to master from the 01v? I usually use the coaxial SP/DIF out to the S/PDIF in on my Live Platinum card an record directly into Soundforge while playing back the mix from Cakewalk. This seems to work o.k. for me, but is it really the best way!?

Message 6/7                 Date: 10-Feb-01  @  01:34 AM   -   RE: Noise in the mix (Yamaha 01v)

gb

The adat option going into a rme hammerfall is excellent. You can record eight tracks at a time from the 01v using this stuff. If you just want to record a stereo signal this might be overkill, tho.

Message 7/7                 Date: 10-Feb-01  @  11:55 AM   -   RE: Noise in the mix (Yamaha 01v)

johnny

I usually master using the SPDIF output of the 01V into my Finalizer Express direct to my hard disk recorder. Then I send that mix through my Vitalizer, through the Finalizer again (mainly for A/D conversion) and onto CD via AES/EBU. It's a bit involved but gets good results.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum