0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: comments wanted on working method

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2                 Date: 24-Jan-01  @  10:09 PM   -   comments wanted on working method

dance, rummy!

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I had a song with about 26 tracks that I tried to mix down in a couple days....

I was running short of CPU power, so I didn't do all of the EQ/NR/compression that I should have....

of course, it sounded like total crap. not punchy at all, and the levels sucked, and the masking, and on and on...

so I said f*ck it, and pulled out every single track into wavelab, got out the waves C1 to reduce noise, did some enhancing, and max'ed the levels using the waves L1 maximizer.

now (so far) it's much punchier, and I have processing power left for the EQ and verb that I need to finish off the mix....

my question: I know that people do offline work all the time.... is there something wrong with jacking up the levels on every track using a limiter in this way? am I losing something (like "microdynamics" whatever that is)? am I essentially jumping the gun on the use of a limiter or multi-comp at the mastering stage?

any comments welcome...

dance, rummy! (formerly pizza crust)

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/2                 Date: 25-Jan-01  @  12:56 PM   -   RE: comments wanted on working method

teemu

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

It's better to compress and limit the individual tracks than to try to get the same effect with multiband compressing... both have their uses but the compression on the tracks weights more in my books.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum