0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Is my mixer no good??

Viewing all 20 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/20                 Date: 23-Jan-01  @  12:22 PM   -   Is my mixer no good??

fink

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

this is a burning question. i have an old studiomaster diamond 16:2 and i've had it for years.

i've noticed though that it outputs alot of hiss. i've always tried to block it from my mind but do you think it IS the mixer.

is buzzing related to electrical fields and hiss to the mixer (ie. seperate)?

are there any other checks because i'm fed up with it now and i'll be forced to change it.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/20                 Date: 23-Jan-01  @  02:47 PM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

Tinde

Link?:  Link

Solo each input and try to listen if some instruments, which are attached to it make more noise than others.

I had Soundtracks Topaz Macro Plus and even I can say that it was much more noisier than my new 01v. However I got JV-1080, which gaves a lot of noise but disabling channels when they are not playing will help me in that (along gates in each input too =)

You can also check if there's some electric wires or gadgets that makes somekind of electro magnetic fields that makes noise. Monitor is a good example of that.

Message 3/20                 Date: 23-Jan-01  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

influx

probably the mixer.

altho, my E4 and virus both his noticeably. I think most pieces do?

try the test and see if its the mixer.

Message 4/20                 Date: 23-Jan-01  @  10:09 PM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

casparproject

hey influx. you ever notice how much
hiss you get from the virus when you
have an input or vocoder patch
selected? even when there's no
input it's insane!

Message 5/20                 Date: 24-Jan-01  @  12:08 PM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

fink

i'll run some chekcs, i found my vocoder/effects inputs on the sn2 diabolical. almost useless if you need gain.

Message 6/20                 Date: 24-Jan-01  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

influx

hell...virus hisses a bit anyway! but yeah..with filter input patches its pretty noisy

dont use the vocoder much...

whats wierd is...and this is exactly the same on my E4...the extra outs get progressively noisier?

my E4 mains are pretty quiet, then it goes to the subs and they get more and more hiss. hmmmm

Message 7/20                 Date: 25-Jan-01  @  12:00 AM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

r-tek

what OS are you running influx? The earlier EOS4s had a bug with the outs, making em noisy and stuff. Thats said, mine are still a little hissy.

Message 8/20                 Date: 25-Jan-01  @  05:11 AM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

casparproject

now the first two outs on my virus are
dead... shit...

Message 9/20                 Date: 25-Jan-01  @  09:10 AM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

nobody

i'm no good. take out your frustrations on me

murder

Message 10/20                 Date: 25-Jan-01  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

influx

4.02? now hang on..the OS caused noisy outputs?

well, I think I just traded my E4 rack for an Esynth keys. wanted the keys for a controller and now I got em...one less piece of gear needed. altho Im hesitant...dunno. got a wavestation here and I kinda LIKE it...but no more room in this minimal world...

Message 11/20                 Date: 25-Jan-01  @  05:02 PM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

r-tek

probably be a good idea to bump it up to 4.10 then, tho I think 4.02 was the one with the bugfix. Kinda weird tho cso the main outs are the closest to the power lead and fan.....

Message 12/20                 Date: 25-Jan-01  @  10:59 PM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

Rzo

I have the same problem with my E5000, noisy outputs... Dont know weather it's the cables or the unit itself?? So how do you fix it?? Should I go spend $600 on 20 or so monster cables, or even more $$ on a digital desk?? This is a major problem for me as I cant mixdown to hard disk until I get rid of all this noise!!!! HELP!

Message 13/20                 Date: 26-Jan-01  @  12:50 AM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

influx

why would you need TWENTY cables for the E5000?

probably the same prob with your gear...audio lines near power lines. External FX outputs too high, gains too high on channels?

as for me and the E4...I just traded my E4 rack for an Esynth keyboard, and its got 4.10...

Message 14/20                 Date: 09-Feb-01  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

Deano

I had a Studiomaster 16-8 of similar vintage - it was very noisey. Ditched it and bought a little Spirit SX and the result is much cleaner, brighter recordings.

Message 15/20                 Date: 09-Feb-01  @  06:00 PM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

k

you can get the chips upgraded in those old studiomasters, then you get their superb eq and quieter desk.

Message 16/20                 Date: 09-Feb-01  @  08:52 PM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

99devils

I don't have a hiss problem with my
Virus. It's dead quiet, except with the
previously noted issue of having an
"input" program selected.

Caspar, what're you gonna do about the
dead outs?

-Craig

Message 17/20                 Date: 12-Feb-01  @  12:57 PM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

Deano

k, Have you got any more info on the chips? I've still got the old desk in the corner gathering dust so one day I might get around to trying to fix it up. Trouble is all the faders and a lot of the pots are noisey so it would be a pretty big job. Incidentally the worst noise problem seemed to be with the aux sends. So monitoring each channel in turn suggested the problem was the FX unit, whereas in fact most of the noise was coming from the desk into the FX. Using the FX on an insert helps but then you lose flexibility

Message 18/20                 Date: 12-Feb-01  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

nomad

well, there's only so much you can do with op amp replacement, but i replaced the tl072/ne5532s in my studiomaster with various chips (burr-brown opa2604, analog devices ad712, others) and the
noise went down a lot.... the aux sends were tl072, which are pretty
noisy (apparently) and must not have been a good choice for a summing bus... they are supposedly good for EQ (i couldn't separate in mine,
2 chips, gain and bass/treble in one pkg, mid and level control in other  
but the 2604s have seemed better all around. have a couple of channels to "resurrect" now though...good thing it's modular   those are about $2 each
if you buy 25 or more at a time from digikey...

just one person's experience....

Message 19/20                 Date: 12-Feb-01  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

nomad

oops make those analog devices op275 NOT ad712 (ad712s aren't much better than the tl072s...err...) anyways for tons of info on op amp replacement go to http://www.deja.com/home_ps.shtml put forum=rec.audio pro and search on op amp replacement.... i'm mostly echoing stuff i learned there...

Message 20/20                 Date: 13-Feb-01  @  04:06 PM   -   RE: Is my mixer no good??

k

there ya go. ANY bit of kit can be upgraded by the way like this.. yes even your keyboards.

Viewing all 20 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum