0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Help me, why does it distort?

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12                 Date: 19-Jan-01  @  10:00 PM   -   Help me, why does it distort?

blackkeys

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Help.
I have a Yamaha P80, E5000, MU80 and they go through a mixer MAM SLE 82. (I know it's not that good but that shouldn't matter in this case.)
Okey, when I set all the volumes on the mixer I can get an equal volume all over exept for the P80 which distorts at the same level as the others. Not even close.
I have to put the P80's level to 50% compared to the rest to make the distortion go away. All the volume controllers on each "instrument" is set to the max. I adjust everything from the mixer.
Do I have to turn dowm all the other ones 50% to make all the instrument equal?
Please help this really annoys me.
/John

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/12                 Date: 20-Jan-01  @  08:33 PM   -   RE: Help me, why does it distort?

casparproject

Ok, I'm not sure I follow you, but here goes. So what you're saying is that when you have everything at the right mixing level that one of your units is distorting. okay, so here's your options.... A)lower the gain levels on all of your instruments to a healthy level B)check the eq and see if there's any specific freq. that is pushing that synth over the top then fix it by either filtering out that freq, or by compression.

Peacveout,

Peter

Message 3/12                 Date: 21-Jan-01  @  03:54 AM   -   RE: Help me, why does it distort?

influx

Link?:  Link

do the channels have a "pad" function? Im not familiar with your mixer.

but you have it right having everything turned up at the source, then adjust the gain.

it COULD be the outputs of the piece, or maybe the input on the mixer? does the same piece distort if you switch inputs on the mixer?

what are your gain settings at?

does it distort with flat or no EQ?

Message 4/12                 Date: 21-Jan-01  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: Help me, why does it distort?

blackkeys

It's just a line mixer so I don't have eq on it. All the instruments volumes are set to the max but on the mixer the volumes are as follows:
6 on everything except for the P80 which is set to 3 to keep it from distorting.
And if I turn everything else down I will get more noise in my recordings on those instruments!
So, do I have to do that or what?

Message 5/12                 Date: 21-Jan-01  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: Help me, why does it distort?

influx

no.

I still dont get it though..when you say they are set to "6" are you talking about gain?

gain is gonna be different for every sound. you want that as hot as possible, too, less noise, then adjust the actual level with the fader

my advice would be to work on getting another mixer with some EQ? but...its ok to have different gain settings for different gear, and even for different sounds coming from the same piece

Message 6/12                 Date: 22-Jan-01  @  12:05 PM   -   RE: Help me, why does it distort?

k

well obviously put the gain on the mixer all back to the same level, then LOWER the distorting sound on the actual device so you are lowering it's output on the actual p80 - if that doesnt do it and even when lowered it STILL distorts then is it the actual mixer channel you are feeding into that is fucked or crackly - (dirt crackle in the mixer pots sounds like distortion too)

Message 7/12                 Date: 23-Jan-01  @  12:35 AM   -   RE: Help me, why does it distort?

blackkeys

The result of my problem is that the P80 can not be heard when I set its gain to a level when disortion does not appear. And when I say "can not be heard" I mean that I can turn up the gain much futher on the other instruments without distortion and they therefore drowns the P80.
I know the problem is solved if I turn down the gains on the other instruments but that feels like a loss of good signals.
Does my argue make sense?
/John

Message 8/12                 Date: 23-Jan-01  @  01:26 AM   -   RE: Help me, why does it distort?

influx

theres something wrong. have you checked the channels that the yammy is coming into?

Message 9/12                 Date: 24-Jan-01  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: Help me, why does it distort?

hooo

could u not plug your p80 into your amp to check it's not fuk'd in some way

Message 10/12                 Date: 06-Feb-01  @  09:31 PM   -   RE: Help me, why does it distort?

dj_dale_lee

Link?: Link

Just a thought... are the impedances (Z) mached? The input Z on the channel and the output Z of the equipment.

Message 11/12                 Date: 06-Feb-01  @  09:53 PM   -   RE: Help me, why does it distort?

99devils

What happens if you swap the P80 to
different mixer channels, ones that you
know work with other gear? Is it still
like that? Then it's not a mixer
problem, it's something with the P80.

-Craig

Message 12/12                 Date: 06-Feb-01  @  11:30 PM   -   RE: Help me, why does it distort?

k

if swapping channel doesnt work, the p80 output is fucked - cheap to get fixed most likely.

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum