0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: live sound question

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 06-Jan-01  @  09:14 PM   -   live sound question

Mr.Wet

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Was at a party the other week- very adequate sound system for the room. Can't give you any specs except that the PA speakers were about 5' tall, and filled the room nicely.

Then the DJ put on a track that was SLAMMIN! After a few minutes, it breaks down, then comes back in with GIANT sub-bassdrops on every other bar. They are so big&heavy that the usually loud&crisp snare went soft&mud. Now I know from personal exp. that's what happens when you mix too bass-heavy; the bass just takes up too much 'space' in the mix and everything else suffers.

But I'm thinking, shit, it's a professionally mixed recording, and it's being played over what sounds like a great sound system. So what's the deal?!

It's not like anybody but us producer types noticed anyway...but we want to know- was it the record or the system or both?

Mr.Wet

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 07-Jan-01  @  01:47 AM   -   RE: live sound question

influx

dude...Im tellin ya..I hear tons of "pro" records that are recorded like SHIT. just cuz it gets released on vinyl doesnt mean its a good recording.

to answer your ? would require me to have been there. DJ might have cranked the bass knowing that bass part was comin in...

how did it sound after? maybe highs got blown?

Message 3/7                 Date: 07-Jan-01  @  07:32 AM   -   RE: live sound question

Mr.Wet

After the bass drops? Actually, after that he mixed to next record...but b4 bassdrops the snare was pretty high in the mix.

Yeah, I see your point tho, about "pro" mixes maybe not always being really-pro.

Anyway, I'm going to start trainspotting the PA systems I see out, I'm just interested in it b/c I don't know jack about it and I'll hopefully being playing out this year...we have 2 PAs here in the house and I just don't appreciate how they slaughter good recordings. Well, mostly the way they make everything mono...gotta stop thinking like a producer and start thinking like a person who wants to hear LOUD music with HUGE bass.

Wait a sec, I am that person!

Mr.Wet

Message 4/7                 Date: 07-Jan-01  @  10:18 AM   -   RE: live sound question

k

Link?:  No link

it's normal for the mid to dissapear if the bass is booming - man i love that sound so much it is awesome...

Message 5/7                 Date: 07-Jan-01  @  10:19 AM   -   RE: live sound question

k

by the way, you can yes mix like that to reproduce that sound on a cd - heh heh

Message 6/7                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  06:44 AM   -   RE: live sound question

Mr.Wet

Hmmm...normal for the mids to dissapear=on purpose so it doesn't get muddy or normal=that just happens. Which one?

Either way yeah the bass sounded *great* but the whole section would've been better if the snares hadn't have dropped down so much!

Mr.Wet

Message 7/7                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  07:42 AM   -   RE: live sound question

teemu

It could be that the amplifiers didn't have enough power to handle that huge bass...

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum