0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

Viewing all 19 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/19                 Date: 06-Jan-01  @  02:33 PM   -   Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

Espoo2

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm a poor ass college student.
I find myself in need of a mixer.
Behringer's seem nice, and cheap as all hell too. I've heard they get the job done decently, just that they're not too sturdy and sometimes the circuit board will break if too much pressure is put on the knobs... not a problem, since I wont be moving it around much, just a home studio situation.
Anyone had any experience with them? Whats the catch? Why so cheap?
Would I be better off just saving my bills and getting like a Delta 1010 and mixing in my PC?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/19                 Date: 06-Jan-01  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

teemu

If you don't need that many channels the small Behringers are probably worth the money but I wouldn't get one of those larger Eurodesk consoles, I'd get a Mackie or something instead. The Behringers are cheap because they are mass-manufactured and built in China with not-so-state-of-the-art components.

But they do work...

Message 3/19                 Date: 07-Jan-01  @  02:11 PM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

Tinde

Link?: Link

I can sell a Soundtracks topaz macro plus for you cheaply. Good mixer from synth work. 24 channels 3 band eq, 2 aux sends... It's lying under my bed. Homestudio use only. Mint boxed with manuals.

And bets of all, I'm guessing that you come from Finland (nimimerkki Espoo) so delivering is pretty easy cause I live in Salo =)

Message 4/19                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  01:02 AM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

Espoo2

Everyone thinks I'm from Fin now... A long time ago, before the web was much of anything, someone had my nickname in mIRC, so I was forced to pick another. One of the IRC servers was based in Espoo I guess, and I thought it sounded cool. So I threw a 2 back there like there was another espoo and the rest, as they say, is history.

Oh, so I guess the shipping wouldnt be that cheap, would it?
I dont really know about international rates...

Message 5/19                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  03:33 AM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

influx

Link?:  Link

ha. a soundcraft 24ch from finland? no fuckin way 

hey espoo...behringer aint THAT bad but I mean...logic tells you that if the difference in price is as steep as it is then there has to be SOME reason right? cheap parts? cheap labor?

like mackie is really made in the US. No parts from Asia? doubt it

I used an Alesis Studio32 for quite some time and was happy with the sound and construction. If 16 channels is enough for you (6 auxes w/3 available at once, 3 band eq with teh ONLY parametric mids in the market, 4 returns, 4 buss plus stereo) and you can handle spending about $500 Id take a look at it.

where are you, anyway?

Message 6/19                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  03:59 AM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

Def Z

You and your damn Studio32... :-)

Just get a Mackie and be happy.

Message 7/19                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  07:25 AM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

teemu

The smaller Mackie's are great (1604 and lower) but I'm not that sure about the bigger consoles anymore...

I was going to get a Mackie 24/4 or 24/8 but after reading LOADS of stuff about them my mind has started to change. There are loads of previous Mackie users out there who used to love their mixers but after using them for a long time got tired of their sound. Something about the eq being harsh and other things.

I just don't know anymore. There are so many options out there but no way of test driving them all.

I suppose I'll just get a Soundcraft Ghost... no one has ever said anything bad about those.  

Or maybe a Panasonic DA7...

Message 8/19                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  08:52 AM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

influx

the studio32 EQ sounds way better than the 1604. wanna fight?

Message 9/19                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  06:13 PM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

Tinde

I like my 01V. That memory-thing really kicks ass =) And I have to admit that the Soundtracs mixer ain't that good... I got a lot of noise out of it. Maybe I'll hook it with my Nord Rack so when I need some noise I don't have to use Osc 2 for that ;)

Howbout Roland VM-series. A guy in a music store said that he used to mix with 03D but after using Rolands VM-series digital mixer, he won't ever use Yamaha again.

I haven't used neither Studio32 or 1604 but I say EQ in mackie sounds a lot more better.

Message 10/19                 Date: 09-Jan-01  @  12:26 AM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

influx

you havent used either but the EQ in the mackie sounds better? huh?

Message 11/19                 Date: 09-Jan-01  @  03:40 AM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

Espoo2

Howdy, I'm from Texas, y'all.
Austin, currently.

Message 12/19                 Date: 09-Jan-01  @  01:29 PM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

pict

If you can get a test drive with a small Behringer against a small Mackie and let your ears do the choosing that would probably be the best but in most cases you get what you pay for.

I've heard that those roland vm mixers are pretty unintuitive to mix on and I've never heard anyone sing their praises.As I have heard a lot of good things about the 01V I'd be more inclined to go with that.I've got a Mackie 24.8 and I'm very happy with it I think it's a bit like familiarity breeding contempt some people could have a Bösendorfer piano and get bored with the sound it doesn't mean it's a bad sounding piano.

I'd be more worried about the reports of Behringer unreliabilty and noisy power supplies having said that I don't know anybody personally who has a Behringer mixer but their rack processors are ok cheap and very usable.

Message 13/19                 Date: 10-Jan-01  @  05:46 PM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

bricks

i have a behringer 2642a (8 mono, 4 st, 4 bus) and it has been fine except for you will sometimes get signal bleeding through to the auxes. I used to think i got ripped off but i have had it for 2 years now and it has been good to me over all, i've taken it out live a bunch and everything. i have to say i would recommend mackie though.

Message 14/19                 Date: 10-Jan-01  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

influx

almost every mixer Ive ever used (never touched an SSL or the like) has signal bleed on auxes or nearby channels. happens.

Message 15/19                 Date: 11-Jan-01  @  07:29 AM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

teemu

I got a MX2642 too and while it's not bad for the money there is one thing that's driving me insane. The stereo channels. Why don't they have the same gain range as the mono inputs? I like to overdrive the gain a bit on most sounds (especially the drums, the bass and the synth leads) but the gain on the stereo channels doesn't go high enough. Another thing that bucks me about the stereo channels is the eq. Why can't it be the same eq as in the mono channels? Sweepable mids would be SO much better than 2 bands with fixed frequencies.

Well, I'm getting a REAL desk in the near-ish future. A Mackie 24/8 or something similar. Ah  

Message 16/19                 Date: 11-Jan-01  @  11:44 AM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

Jasper

I'm going down the 01v route myself.. you just can't beat all that parametric eq and dynamics on each channel for the price. oh baby.

Message 17/19                 Date: 11-Jan-01  @  06:20 PM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

99devils

plus memories, automation from your
sequencer, easy re-routing, 2 usable FX
processors, MIDI control surface..

Sorry...

-Craig

Message 18/19                 Date: 12-Jan-01  @  06:52 AM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

influx

and a bunch of holes to stick stuff in.

would have liked aux sends. and for the FX to be different on the 2 internals (why not?) but

Message 19/19                 Date: 18-Jan-01  @  12:18 AM   -   RE: Behringer Mixers... A waste of time?

Rzo

YO Espoo2!!!!! Im in Austin TX too... UT student! I own a behringer desk if youd like to come check it out (also
NOVA 2 KB and EMU E5000 :-) Email me

Viewing all 19 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum