0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Output levels / input gains

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9                 Date: 02-Jan-01  @  10:52 PM   -   Output levels / input gains

gb

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have several good sound modules, all going into a 01v.

Doing a search for the following, I couldn’t find a clear answer :

First, to get the best possible sound quality do I max the volume output from each sound module, and then set the input gain on each 01v channel as high as possible without clipping ? Or do some sound modules distort at the higher volume levels ?

Second, given the right input the 01v makes interesting noises when I set the input gain well above the clip level. Could this damage the 01v ? Or is it designed to take that sort of abuse ?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/9                 Date: 02-Jan-01  @  11:02 PM   -   RE: Output levels / input gains

formant

Link?:  Link

heh heh i thought i was the only one aware of the unique clipping sound (quite nice actually) of the 01v.

i turn all my instruments up as high as they will go and then set my levels accordingly on the o1v..

i never have problems with things being not loud enough, cuz you can compress them and stuff to fix mix problems without adding too much more volume.

jamey

Message 3/9                 Date: 03-Jan-01  @  01:13 AM   -   RE: Output levels / input gains

bricks

one thing that i learned early in my synth days is to always have your volume up all the way and set the levels in the mixer. you will get the lowest noise and best dynamic range from your modules that way.

just figured i would pass that along.

bricks

Message 4/9                 Date: 03-Jan-01  @  03:36 AM   -   RE: Output levels / input gains

damballah

yes, what they are saying is true

Message 5/9                 Date: 03-Jan-01  @  12:54 PM   -   RE: Output levels / input gains

gb

Ok, I'll max the output volume from each sound module. Thank you all.

Do you have any thoughts about the second question - could setting the input gains well above clip level damage the 01v ?

Message 6/9                 Date: 04-Jan-01  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: Output levels / input gains

99devils

I thought I remember reading somewhere in the manual that overdriving the preamp stage was OK as the pre's are analog circuits... Anyone else remember reading that?

-Craig

Message 7/9                 Date: 04-Jan-01  @  06:01 PM   -   RE: Output levels / input gains

formant

i dunno? i clip stuff going in all the time just for the effect...

hope it doesn't hurt it

i did bust my upper right topmost yellow led on the meters though... wonder if there is a connection?????

:-)

jamey

Message 8/9                 Date: 04-Jan-01  @  11:12 PM   -   RE: Output levels / input gains

gb

Probably not, as the leds are used for output level.

Yamaha will probably pay for the repair if your 01v is not too old.

Message 9/9                 Date: 04-Jan-01  @  11:16 PM   -   RE: Output levels / input gains

gb

Hmmm...

"Probably will" - might depend on which country you live in. But anyway - they should...

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum