0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: recording vox

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 02-Jan-01  @  04:46 PM   -   recording vox

harold

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

anyone got any tips for recording vocals? in particular, would you compress it whilst recording to get a strong signal or would you record it dry and fiddle with it afterwards...???

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 02-Jan-01  @  04:49 PM   -   recording vox

harold

anyone got any tips for recording vocals? in particular, would you compress it whilst recording to get a strong signal or would you record it dry and fiddle with it afterwards...???

Message 3/7                 Date: 02-Jan-01  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: recording vox

Defector Z

Link?: Link

I found the quality of my vox improved greatly when I compressed a little on the way in. I also felt that I actually SANG more because I was confident that my dynamics weren't all over the place. Be careful with compression on vox tho, easy to destroy the whole thing with too much.

Message 4/7                 Date: 03-Jan-01  @  03:34 AM   -   RE: recording vox

damballah

Link?:  Link

Maybe a little to make sure you don't get an over. I prefer using a purer signal path to the recorder and dicking with it during mixdown. And a little 'comfort' reverb in the singer's cans.

Message 5/7                 Date: 03-Jan-01  @  05:21 PM   -   RE: recording vox

k

where in the house you choose to record the vox chages the sound obviously, also wether or not you are facing the wall or not etc etc... the mic U use, and having a decent mic pre-amp if you have no mixer to plug in to. If you are plugging straight into a soundcard the chances are unless it has a proper mic amp built in like hoontech or midiman or yamaha dsp bay or racks etc that the quality will be lessened. So if you dont have a mic pre thats your first thing to sort out, like check out joe-meek/hootersound etc which offer superb results, the cheapest joe-meek/hootersound units has a built in compressor & enhancer which really do work well. even a cheap mic sound good using a decent rack in like that.

Message 6/7                 Date: 17-Jan-01  @  01:21 AM   -   RE: recording vox

yanky doodle

always dry. i do like to send a aux channel to the headphones with effects and such. i work with a lot of vocal effects and its hard to cut the right performance if you don't have at least an idea of the context.

k's right, a vocal strip is key to getting a decent sound, but be careful what you get as they definitely color the sound- especially the cheaper units. whether thats good or bad depends on your ears. and one of those pop-screens is the cheapest way to improve sound quality. they keep you a consistant distance from the mic and reduce plosives, so you can think of them as the wireless compressor.

Message 7/7                 Date: 18-Jan-01  @  01:58 AM   -   RE: recording vox

k

well, with the right audio device in a pc you can mangle away with pretty negligable latency... most peeps record at 44.1 audio in multitracks like vst etc but up it to 48 and get 3ms latency, the same as an outboard i'd say innit?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum