0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

Viewing all 23 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/23                 Date: 02-Jan-01  @  04:48 PM   -   Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

Fink Angel

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

over the last year i have been acquiring the elements needed to complete my studio.

i downsized, sold bits of gear and now have the minimum i need to get intimate with.

the only thing that's missing now is outboard gear and a decent mixer. i have abit of outboard gear (compressor and effects unit) but that's it. the mixer definately let's the side down.

so whilst i try to analyze my finances this year (2001) what would you think i would get most longevity out of?

i'm not even sure what purpose either i've mentioned will help me accomplish. i want professional, polished sound which compared to my old studiomaster 16:2 analogue hiss monster, i'm sure both would suffice.

i would imagine there would be about a £1000.00 difference in price by the time i wanted to buy. that seems an awful lot of money. can anyone give me some knowledge??

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/23                 Date: 02-Jan-01  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

johnny

the aw4416 isn't really a mixer unless you add some extra input cards. do that and then it's an 01V plus a whole lot more. better value for money, but do you really need a stand-alone hard disk recorder, phrase sampler etc? if not, then the extra £££ will be better spent elsewhere.

Message 3/23                 Date: 03-Jan-01  @  10:37 AM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

Fink Angel

that's the thing, do i need the aw4416??

i'm a little out of my depth with regards to upgrading to digital.

if i had the 01v, what would i need in addition to make it up the the aw4416.

that would put things in perspective for me.

i have a computer, sampler and cd recorder.

does the 01v output digitally (main output) as standard?

excuse if i'm asking silly question.

Message 4/23                 Date: 03-Jan-01  @  01:00 PM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

gb

The 01v has one spdif digital output as well as several analog outputs. There are optional cards available for other digital formats, too.

I use the adat option, going into a RME Hammerfall in the PC. This makes it possible to record eight channels at a time from the 01v.

Message 5/23                 Date: 03-Jan-01  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

Fink Angel

so probably the most important question...can the 01v produce release quality material??

i mean, could you cut a record/cd with your end result with no further processing?

i know for the money i want to spend, an analogue machine with a bit of outboard could.

the aw4416 states there's an 02r 'inside'. so what's different from an 01v to an 02R? quality of recordings or features? can the 01v achieve 02R status via upgrades?

i need to start making decisions for something i won't be wanting to change after a year of use.

any other suggestions welcome.

Message 6/23                 Date: 03-Jan-01  @  04:35 PM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

gb

Link?: Link

You probably already know this, but anyway... There are some specs available at the Yamaha web site.

Message 7/23                 Date: 03-Jan-01  @  07:27 PM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

johnny

The 01v is capable of release-quality material, but it's always good to have extra processing on hand to make a good mix better.

As for the differences between the 02R and 01V, the 02R has more i/o capabilities (inserts on channels 1-8, 6 dedicated aux outs, more option slots, much more comprehensive digital interfacing) as well as more input channels (up to 40, the 01v tops out at 24). And it offers surround-sound mixing, 8-buss mixing, full dynamics on *every* input, internal mix automation etc, etc. It also has a more ergonomic control surface, and you can fit that TC-Unity card that gives you an internal Finalizer and/or M2000 FX. Speaking of cards, the 02R has four card slots to the 01V's single one.

Message 8/23                 Date: 04-Jan-01  @  03:19 AM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

99devils

gb, could you e-mail me. I'm working towards the same setup (01v communicating with PC via ADAT) and I want to pick your brain.

-Craig

Message 9/23                 Date: 07-Jan-01  @  01:50 AM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

influx

Link?:  Link

is the O1v capable of releasable results?

well  before affordable digital mixers, people used analog hiss monsters, no? some people DID, and they got their music out there. no?

O1v is dope. seems like the AW is overkill unless you like overkill

Message 10/23                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  07:57 AM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

teemu

The 01V is only dope if you are used to budget consoles. It is great value for money but the eq and the compressors aren't that great to be honest. Sure, you can release records with it but if you want high quality eq and compressing you have to invest on outboard later anyway.

If you want a good, affordable digital mixer get the Panasonic DA7. It's, erm, a bit more expensive than the 01V but it'll last for a way longer than the 01V will.

Message 11/23                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  08:50 AM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

influx

thing is...well..the "standard" has been raised, but the general public really dont give a fuck if a song was mixed on an SSL with neve eqs and pres and blah blah blah.

they care if it works. if it has energy. this is DANCE music right? well..sometimes...

and before digital, when bedroom studios were still around but not using O1vs or even ProMix01s or any of those...people got good mixes out of "not good" boards, no?

yes.

and why wont the O1v last long? OF COURSE the compressors arent that good! Its a $1000 mixer! well..more retail but...

the EQ works damn well, and the compressors do their job.

the FX are fairly solid as well, altho I often wonder why the gave both processors the exact same patches...

Message 12/23                 Date: 08-Jan-01  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

johnny

the compressors and EQ are technically perfect, they do exactly what they say they're doing. analogue gear imparts it's own interpretation of the theory onto a signal due to the components used and circuit design, the more expensive digital EQ's and compressors do a similar thing in software.

the compressors are great for level control but if you want them to add extra musical character you're going to be disappointed; that's not what they're for.

Message 13/23                 Date: 09-Jan-01  @  12:25 AM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

influx

yeah..what he said! 

Message 14/23                 Date: 09-Jan-01  @  05:21 PM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

fink angel

o1v and more outboard gear at a leter date then!

Message 15/23                 Date: 10-Jan-01  @  01:16 AM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

gb

Speaking of outboard gear and the 01v....

Is there digital (adat or spdif) outboard gear available ? Or do we have to convert back to analog and then back to digital after processing ?

Message 16/23                 Date: 10-Jan-01  @  01:41 AM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

influx

my quadraverbII has digital IO. many other pieces do, too. E4 can be fitted for it...

Message 17/23                 Date: 10-Jan-01  @  11:03 AM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

gb

I guess it's still a question of how to hook it up. The 01v has only one adat out port, and unless the outboard gear has a through port (if such a thing exists with adat) hooking up to it would mean losing the adat connection to the pc/harddisk recorder.

Perhaps it could be routed through the pc ? The Hammerfall has three adat outs and three adat ins.

Doesn't sound like a good solution.

Message 18/23                 Date: 13-Jan-01  @  08:34 AM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

phunkytek

0iv + ds2416 card and cubase vst/wavelab and a yamaha cdrw6416. Much more powerful than the cw4416 and still less money.. The o1v offers complete integration into a cubase environment by remote controling the vst mixer and fx knobs, plus offering direct remote control of the dsp factory card's mixer as well. The submixing is enormous.

Message 19/23                 Date: 13-Jan-01  @  11:20 AM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

fink angel

does anyone know what the roland vs 1680 is like?? just going through final options.

Message 20/23                 Date: 14-Jan-01  @  12:16 AM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

pict

I'd take the AW44 over the VS there are plenty of reviews on the web on the VS.

Message 21/23                 Date: 31-Jan-01  @  07:15 PM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

decisions....

Just picked up an O1v and a fostex D-90. Marriage made in heaven - or so it seems - and cheap to boot. Had been hard on the AW4416 until I read about its measley track editing and pointless sampler.~B

Message 22/23                 Date: 02-Feb-01  @  05:05 PM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

fink

how much space does the 01v take up in a rack?

Message 23/23                 Date: 02-Feb-01  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: Yamaha 01v or AW4416?

gb

I've put mine into 12U tabletops, and there is no room for other stuff there.

I guess I could squeeze a 1U under it, if I had to.

Viewing all 23 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum