0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Analog or Digital ?

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12                 Date: 18-Dec-00  @  03:48 AM   -   Analog or Digital ?

jamie

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have a Spirit folio SX and am looking at getting replacing it as I have run out of inputs. I am looking at a Spirit Ghost. Or should I go digital ? ie the Yamaha 03V. My current setup has a JV1080, ESI 4000, SW1000 (PC), CS1X, EA1, CZ101 and all audio is taken care of by a terratec EWS88MT audio card. The PC is running Logic audio.
My Outboards include an Alesis compresor (noisey or what) Lexicon MPX100 and a Zoom 2000.
Im producing UK Garage / RnB.

How would an 03V improve anything.

Am I talking shit or what ?????

Thanks

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/12                 Date: 18-Dec-00  @  05:14 AM   -   RE: Analog or Digital ?

casparproject

Link?: Link

They both have their advantages,
though I'd say go digital. If you can
afford it, why not.

Peaceout,

Peter

Message 3/12                 Date: 18-Dec-00  @  09:35 AM   -   RE: Analog or Digital ?

influx

Link?:  Link

sorry but do you mean an O3D or O1v? Or an O2r

O1v is the budget one and is..well..I am fucking VERY impressed with the flexibility, features, ease of use, sound quality..EVERYTHING really. there are some...confusing parts..but once you do the ol "get your head round it" thang it is by far the most comprehensive "affordable" mixer out there

did I mention that it really sounds quite nice?

oh..and...saving mixes. what a luxury 

Message 4/12                 Date: 18-Dec-00  @  01:46 PM   -   RE: Analog or Digital ?

jamie

sorry influx I meant the 03D.

Message 5/12                 Date: 18-Dec-00  @  02:14 PM   -   RE: Analog or Digital ?

Jasper

the guy sweats money influx.. You won't go wrong with that mate.. if you do, you might as well give up.

Message 6/12                 Date: 18-Dec-00  @  05:02 PM   -   RE: Analog or Digital ?

r-tek

01v is fucking awesome mate - I`ve lived in spirit folio and then mackie 1604 land and the pros of digital far outweigh the cons - the only downside is that analogue sources lose a little of their edge (to my ears anyway) but thats no big deal really cos beats punch like you wouldn`t believe on these things.

Message 7/12                 Date: 18-Dec-00  @  06:51 PM   -   RE: Analog or Digital ?

johnny

for people in our position digital makes far more sense. the 'extras' included in these machines make such a huge difference to the quality and 'professionalism' of your tracks you'd be foolish to ignore them.

the 01v actually has a few advantages over the 03D - dedicated knobs for EQ and pan, dedicated controls for each of the two internal FX return (the 03D shares one set between both), dedicated solo buttons for each channel and a much cheaper way to cascade multiple machines, i.e. just a serial cable. the 03D needs a 'cascade kit' costing a few hundred £'s. And of course the 01V is much cheaper, might be a better buy depending on your situation.

Message 8/12                 Date: 19-Dec-00  @  01:38 PM   -   RE: Analog or Digital ?

jamie

Thanks for the help lads the 01V it is.
And the price will keep my wife off my back..

Message 9/12                 Date: 22-Dec-00  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: Analog or Digital ?

influx

Link?:  Link

man...I hardly even read the manual (I know I know) and then outta the blue I discovered that the dynamics processors have a sidechain feature!!! Probably no surprise to you smart people but boy was I happy. gated basslines sound trippy, and triggering a bassline gate or compression with the kick is sick too

and my mixes...really..sound WAY better than ever. part of it is learning finally how to gain structure properly, but its also..just...shiiiit, fully parametric EQs? HP filters for bass? solid. propa, as hammer once said.

O1vs used for a grand here in the states, too 

Message 10/12                 Date: 28-Dec-00  @  02:19 PM   -   RE: Analog or Digital ?

99devils

The cool thing about the 01V is that you
have everything right there at your
fingertips. Wanna filter your drum
loop? Assign the drum track to one of
the sends and off you go. EQ?
Compression? FX? No problem!

The 01V will continue to grow as you grow.
Once I finally get the damned PC working
right, and get my ADAT cards I'll be
rocking (8-in 8-out lightpipe to/from PC)

-Craig

Message 11/12                 Date: 01-Jan-01  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: Analog or Digital ?

Vulture

I am currently in the market for a digital 8-bus mixer. One of the things that turned me off to the Yamaha offerings is that they don't offer many really good possibilities for integration with a lot of outboard processors. I have some good quality outboard FX, don't really need more (well...), and the Yamaha makes it difficult to add these seamlessly into the mix without sacrificing something.

Message 12/12                 Date: 04-Jan-01  @  03:27 AM   -   RE: Analog or Digital ?

99devils

Yeah, the 01v isn't as well endowed with I/O as I'd have liked. There's no send/return pairs... You can use the 4 aux sends and bring the returns back through the channels, or you could get the analog expansion - since you don't get full EQ and dynamics on those channels they make great returns. But you're right, if you use a lot of outboard you'll eventually wind up short on I/O with an 01V. It'd also be nice if it could handle digital ins on all channels - 24 channels of all-digital hardware mixing. Fully automatible.

But that's not really the 01v's cup of tea. It's more of a nice all in one box with a limited set of versatile, reconfigurable I/O options. If you want something more serious then I guess you need an 03D or 02R.

-Craig

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum