0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: sorry chaps

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12                 Date: 06-Dec-00  @  08:14 PM   -   sorry chaps

silly

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

well some questions have to be answerd and this is a shit one how long should my leads be in other words is it a good idea to keep your leads one size or dosnt it matter as long as there not like 20 metre long hmmm yes

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/12                 Date: 06-Dec-00  @  08:30 PM   -   RE: sorry chaps

influx

Link?:  Link

balanced it doesnt matter, but the longer an unbalanced cable is the more noise itll pick up.

you could get a balancing transformer for your unbalanced stuff, too

Message 3/12                 Date: 07-Dec-00  @  01:37 AM   -   RE: sorry chaps

bricks

a balancing transformer? would that turn a balanced signal back to unbalanced? i have had this idea for when you have to run cables between unbalanced devices. using a short cable to a DI to convert to balanced, but i never knew what i could use to convert back to unbalanced for a second very short cable run to the second device.

did that make any sense?

Message 4/12                 Date: 07-Dec-00  @  09:20 AM   -   RE: sorry chaps

silly

Hmm all my stuff is unbalance comeing in to the mixer apart from effects rtn and stereo out etc so i think im ok there but realy what i was trying to ask and not very well at that is could there be a timeing problem if my leads were long and short...let say i had one very short lead and one very long lead could this couse timeing probs if you get what im saying thanks for time boreing topic i know just wana get right

Message 5/12                 Date: 07-Dec-00  @  03:47 PM   -   RE: sorry chaps

nobody

no timing issues unless you have a lead like 1000 feet different in length. i think it moves at 186,000 miles per second (voltage/audio/impulses whatever) so don't worry about that, if you have no noise issues. balanced cable is king though ;)

Message 6/12                 Date: 07-Dec-00  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: sorry chaps

silly

o.k thats that then but you cant have balance cables comeing out your sampler or can u i dont thanks

Message 7/12                 Date: 07-Dec-00  @  10:36 PM   -   RE: sorry chaps

nobody

i use balanced cables for EVERY audio connection. every one without fail. also, i make all my cables. there's not much difference in making a balanced cable except the extra connection etc.. and if you're me you have to use cable that is made *specifically* for balanced runs.. nice stuff but a bit stressful to work with. still, when all is said & done i have custom cables that never get in the way. also they work great. there's no reason you can't use balanced cables on unbalanced jacks. you won't hurt anything. one piece of advice, just stay AWAY from monster cable. big rip-off, you can (if you're stateside) just as easily buy from Markertek & they do a fine job. or you can buy cable & jacks from them & get to soldering! in which case you will need *precision* wire strippers, a good soldering station, skill with the iron & most importantly patience. but hey, i'm making a modular synth, so soldering is just no problem. (and i re-learned to solder on making some cables  

good luck!

Message 8/12                 Date: 08-Dec-00  @  06:08 AM   -   RE: sorry chaps

casparproject

Link?: Link

Hey nobody, could I maybe purchase
some cables from you?

Message 9/12                 Date: 08-Dec-00  @  09:41 AM   -   RE: sorry chaps

silly

thanks.i do make my own cables too im from london so i go to dvd in camden get all the wire and jacks i need solder them up easy realy and cheaper but i just made all my cables unbalanced bollocks

Message 10/12                 Date: 08-Dec-00  @  11:35 PM   -   RE: sorry chaps

influx

a balancing transformer turns and unbalanced signal into a balanced one. dunno why youd want to go the other way

pretty much the same as a DI box really

Message 11/12                 Date: 08-Dec-00  @  11:57 PM   -   RE: sorry chaps

k

where's this dvd in camden and what is it?

Message 12/12                 Date: 09-Dec-00  @  10:45 AM   -   RE: sorry chaps

silly

nope sorry thats VDC thay can make your cables any thing takes a while but thay do every thing to order.VDC house 4 brandon road london 9aa 0207 7002777. set up an account with them its cheaper or you can just order your cable jacts etc.

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum