0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: 01V EG OR COMP

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/18                 Date: 20-Nov-00  @  03:41 PM   -   01V EG OR COMP

BEN

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hope someone can help me on this i have a O1V and i wana make my sound fatter if i can by useing something like a compressor,eq or some tube enhancer but i dont know wich way to go has any one else done this what did you use or have any of you got any advise on what i should be looking for just a little unsure as to what way i should go thanks for any feedback

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/18                 Date: 21-Nov-00  @  08:45 AM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

teemu

You could buy a SPL Charisma 2 to fatten your cold digital sound, it's cheap and based on tube technology.

check http://www.soundperformancelab.com/Charisma2/in_detail.html for details.

Message 3/18                 Date: 22-Nov-00  @  06:51 PM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

ben

any one done this

Message 4/18                 Date: 22-Nov-00  @  08:57 PM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

99devils

Do you mean you're looking for a way to
beef up the mix coming out of thwe 01V
or an individual sound?

-Craig

Message 5/18                 Date: 22-Nov-00  @  11:23 PM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

johnny

sounds like the guy means the stereo mix coming from the 01V. It does benefit from a bit of warming up (as does most stuff), you could try a valve-based compressor like the TLA C1 or dbx 566 (what a looker too!) but I'd suggest going for a combination of valves, compression, EQ and full-range enhancement in the form of the SPL Vitalizer Mk2T. It has two valves, one in the stereo expansion circuit and another in the enhancer itself. There's also a one-knob bass compressor which is very handy, and a selection of tuning/process knobs which are straightforward to operate. As for the sound - it's superb, really sweet and makes everything sound like it 'should'... hard to explain but it sounds so 'right' y'know? The price is surprisingly low, much less than the TLA/dbx valve compressors which only do one thing; the SPL does several things extremely well and without any hassles. Just pop it on the XLR mix outs of the 01V, hook it up to your recording/monitoring system, then sit back and enjoy.

Message 6/18                 Date: 23-Nov-00  @  04:24 AM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

influx

Link?:  Link

hmmm. so far my mixes sound WAY better and more seperated than before.

dont hear anything cold at all.

could be the Meek C2, tho 

Message 7/18                 Date: 23-Nov-00  @  09:53 AM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

ben

that SPL sound just the ticket is was something like that i was thinking of im gona try go listen to one any idea what the price is ...influx my mixes dont sound cold i just wana beef them up a bit and it is for the stereo outs
thanks

Message 8/18                 Date: 23-Nov-00  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

johnny

the vitalizer mk2T is way cheap from Thomann (www.thomann.de), just under £450UKP. It sounds 3 or 4 times more expensive than that...

Message 9/18                 Date: 23-Nov-00  @  01:28 PM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

ben

cheers johny
do you use one yourself how do you know there good just wondering thanks

Message 10/18                 Date: 23-Nov-00  @  05:35 PM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

ben

john boy do you know were i can read up on this spl

Message 11/18                 Date: 23-Nov-00  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

johnny

Link?: Link

yeah, check the link above. on that page there is a link to the Sound on Sound review, read that as well.

I do have one myself, yes. It was mainly the great review SOS gave it that got me interested, I demo'd one and was convinced. Looks great in the rack, too.

Message 12/18                 Date: 02-Dec-00  @  09:41 AM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

ben

cheers

Message 13/18                 Date: 02-Dec-00  @  12:58 PM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

r-tek

ah, its go to look good eh johnny? Just got me an 01v yesterday and it co-ordinates almost perfectly with the prophecy. I would`ve sent it back if it hadn`t.

Message 14/18                 Date: 02-Dec-00  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

johnny

And so you should...

Congrats on getting the 01V BTW. Something cool to do - stick any old crusty break through the soft compander, the dynamics preset #31 'Hip Comp' is perfect. Might need to cut the output gain by a few dbs, it's dangerous :-)

Message 15/18                 Date: 02-Dec-00  @  07:42 PM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

r-tek

yeah, I heard you talking about that before but I aint gonna get the chance to try it out till next w/e at the earliest cos everythings been packed up bar the prophecy whilst I`m redecorating and waiting on studiospares to arrive with that rack trolley thing I ordered. Remind me to never do this agian cos its fucking boring.....I`m almost tempted to go out on the piss with me mates I`m that bored.I rigged a few bits n pieces up last night tho to see what the coup is with the 01v and I`m impressed - sounds very digital to my ears, but the same ears are also telling me it sounds good so thats no bad thing. Fuck me do the beats punch on this thing, a hardstep weapon for sure. Happy bunny is me.

Message 16/18                 Date: 02-Dec-00  @  09:15 PM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

johnny

yeah, it's a bastard when your stuff's in 'static transit', redecoration looms for me too but I'm gonna move my stuff into the next room temporarily and keep it running while the job's being done.

I never thought of the 01V as overtly 'digital', more 'clean and accurate' which is a more descriptive description of digital if you know what I mean.

And the beats do punch for sure, in fact it's very easy to go completely over the top with that compander. Shortening the release time can make the front end of drums smack like nothing I've ever heard before. And it's so easy! Too easy, perhaps....

Message 17/18                 Date: 03-Dec-00  @  12:00 PM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

r-tek

ah, thankingyoukindlysir, more techniques for me to play with   Well yeah, whatever digital/clean/precise doesn`t really matter. It defintely takes the edge of the mw1 a bit but I can freak it more with the dynamics and eq so its all good as those American types would say, I`m beyond thinking stuff like that matters anymore anyway. I can just see all the people in the club stopping dancing cos the track the dj just dropped was mixed with a digital signal path ;)

Message 18/18                 Date: 03-Dec-00  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: 01V EG OR COMP

johnny

exactly

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum