0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Headphone Mixing Advice

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/17                 Date: 20-Nov-00  @  01:58 PM   -   Headphone Mixing Advice

fusion

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I (for reasons of neighbours!) need to start mixing on 'phones. I'll of course do my final mixes on my ns10's but my question is;

what are the best phones for the job?

Thanks.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/17                 Date: 20-Nov-00  @  03:22 PM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

formant

Link?:  Link

surely you can mix on the monitors at low volumes?

i dont have any noise restrictions where i live and you can't really hear any bass or anything in the next room once i turn them down some.

i would advise against all headphone monitoring because you will take the cans off and then start re-mixing all the levels once you hear them on the monitors.

jamey

Message 3/17                 Date: 20-Nov-00  @  05:45 PM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

Defector Z

I second that. Get used to doing most of your mixing on monitors at LOW volumes because your mixed will sound like ass on headphones. Sorry - it's just the way of it.

Plus, relying on headphones is BAD for your ears. TERRIBLY bad. I use headphones at work for mixing and my hearing is getting worse.

But to answer your question, I have AKG K240's at work and they are great. $100. I use AKG K240df's (or K240dm's or something like that) at home. $160 list and they are fantastic. They are very close to flat response, and they are very comfortable. Now why do I spend so much money on headphones? Well - sometimes I have noise restrictions, too, but I also use them quite a bit for spot checks - you know, how does that reverb sound? and does that delay fall where it needs to. I use them for details.

Message 4/17                 Date: 21-Nov-00  @  08:41 AM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

advice? well - don't do it ;)

All i can really say is learn how your mixes behave in differend situations then stick with that. Listen to other music thru same system your mixing your own stuff...

With headphones I tend to put too much bass and details/highs don't stand up when listened thru speakers.

Message 5/17                 Date: 23-Nov-00  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

pup

So basically music is not meant to be heard on headphones? I agree that it can damage your ears if you for example you forget to turn down the levels on your mixer but shouldn't there be a comprise between headphones and speakers?

I too have annoying neighbors and most of the time i mix late in the night.

Message 6/17                 Date: 24-Nov-00  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

Jasper

work on reducing the amount of background noise in your room, with all the fans etc on pcs/samplers/drives etc removed somewhat you'll be suprised at how low a volume you can actually mix at and still hear fine details.

Message 7/17                 Date: 24-Nov-00  @  05:14 PM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

k

turnkey are doing DT100's for 79 quid at the moment !!

Message 8/17                 Date: 24-Nov-00  @  11:55 PM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

influx

sony MDR-V600 or 900s.

Ive found that if I actually MIX on phones it sounds not good.

EQing, etc.

checking levels and flow, well thats different. but really...Id say learn to mix at LOW levels, then you can use your speakers and not piss anyone off.

Message 9/17                 Date: 27-Nov-00  @  01:22 PM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

mitub

If you're a pro, skip this one.

Went into Guitar/Amp/Keyboard center to get a decent sample CD. I generally shun sample CD's but somebody I know when to a pro studio and they used one and he's got a contract! so I thought I'd check them out.

Anyway, the CD quality sounded awesome, realised it was the headphones making the difference so I ended up buying a pair of DT119's instead. Absolutly blown away by the quality, did a mix with them and took them off and the mix was near on perfect (to my ears anyway), something I'd never have been able to do with my £40 headphones before.

My message to people fairly new to this game (with money) is to invest in a decent pair, you wont look back. I only mention it because its not something most people think of when constructing a 'to-buy' list.

Message 10/17                 Date: 27-Nov-00  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

influx

DT119s? manufacturer?

Message 11/17                 Date: 28-Nov-00  @  02:10 AM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

k

beyer dt series like the ubiquitous DT100 - those are the flat sqaure ones with a grey plkastic cusion you always see in TV documentaries of pewople working in studio's...

i like to check the mix on cans after a days rest... small subtle level's strike you then... but i dont do a main setup-mix on cans, just to check fine detail & how it sounds in cans...

you want cans that are designed to get a good flat respose without the 'cup' accenting the bass end.

Message 12/17                 Date: 20-Dec-00  @  11:15 AM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

mitub

Turns out the DT's are slightly buggered - one size buzzes loudly with really low bass whilst the other doesn't make a sound - seeing as the bass is the main reason I got them (so I can hear whats going on down there at 1am without causing grief to neighbours) I'm a bit pissed off. In agreement about the 'bass-cup' business, didn't occur to me at the time

Also a little suspicious as the guy at the Guitar, Amp & Keyboard center who didn't let me test them with any rich bass - "non of these units do that kind of thing" but he did test them with pretty much everything else - and they looked quite mucky for a brand new pair of headphones... Heard quite a few bad things about the electronic section of the Guitar/Amp/Keyboard center (Brighton) come to think of it though that could be a coincidence of late I guess.

Christmas is nearly here!!! can't wait!

Message 13/17                 Date: 21-Dec-00  @  10:03 AM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

Jasper

wait...

you've bought some supposedly new headphones.. and they don't work correctly...

so...

your going to take them back right and demand reembursment right?

if they give you any crap about 2 week return policy.. just tell em they sold you something that isn't fit for the job it's intended and unless they refund you, you'll take it to trading standards... that usually does the trick. if it don't .. take it to trading standards.

Message 14/17                 Date: 21-Dec-00  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

mitub

Very true. Its just hastle I could do without right now, they shouldn't have sold them to me like that as new (I'm pretty sure they weren't) - its a pretty obvious defect.

I don't generally moan all the time by the way.

Message 15/17                 Date: 22-Dec-00  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

Jasper

but you can put the cash towards a good pair.. the longer you leave it, the more difficult it is to convince them they were like it when you paid for them.

don't see it as hassle, see it as a chance to have a battle with some idiot shop assistant who's main interest in electronic music is synthesised classical shit.

it should be a fun experience, remember to say these words at some point 'lying to sell goods' / 'false pretenses' / 'no way to run a business' / pathetic attempt to palm crap gear off on trustworthy customers' / 'a great way to line your pockets aint it, who thought of this one?' / 'bunch of ignorant wankers' etc etc.

Message 16/17                 Date: 22-Dec-00  @  11:00 PM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

k

heh heh - c'mon mate a few messages up you were saying they were perfect!! - admit it!... you blew the bass-end with too much volume on the sub-bass :-)

Message 17/17                 Date: 11-Jan-01  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: Headphone Mixing Advice

mitub

haha! I can see how it might look that way.

ehmmm. actually you might have a point there... thing that gets me is that they're only buggered in one side. its possible thou.

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum