0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: 80hz roll-off

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10                 Date: 17-Nov-00  @  02:28 AM   -   80hz roll-off questions

brad

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I gather 80hz is a good place to roll-off the bass- to avoid over-flubbing of speakers right? should this be done to the individual track (the kik track; the bass-drop track) or should this be done to the stereo mix? Does it matter? One more- should this be done b4 running the mix thru a maximizer (ie. waves L1 ultramaximizer)?

I have a very problematic bass drop from an FM cd(!)...Too much sub (hence the cut) and not enuff mid to hear on a weak system- what's a good band to pump up so I can actually hear this thing?

Thanks!!!
Mr.Wet

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/10                 Date: 17-Nov-00  @  04:10 PM   -   RE: 80hz roll-off

formant

Link?:  Link

if you just want the thing to appear louder try maxxbass instead of equing.....

jamey

Message 3/10                 Date: 17-Nov-00  @  05:20 PM   -   RE: 80hz roll-off

Mr.Wet

Yeah I have SC super-bass or whatever it's
called...I'll give it another shot 2nite. I still
want to cut the super-lows....I think.

Thanks,
Brad

Message 4/10                 Date: 17-Nov-00  @  08:26 PM   -   RE: 80hz roll-off

influx

if youre gonna play in clubs then rollin off below 80 is gonna sound hollow dontcha think?

I just took a look at one of my mixes the other day and it was SUCH a trip cuz there was a gap from 40 to about 75-80, but then right below 40 it just spiked.

tried to figure it out, and it finally came down to this virus sound...just a lopass dealiebob and im leavin it cuz on a club system taht shit would be FELT

oh..and the mix doesnt sound muddy so its not a prob.

just cuz you dont hear it on your monitors dont mean it aint there 

Message 5/10                 Date: 17-Nov-00  @  09:54 PM   -   RE: 80hz roll-off

Mr.Wet

Influx- yeah I'm not really mixing for clubs,
and the mixes aren't muddy. Thanks I'm less
worried. I'm gonna try and get more
harmonics going with a bass maximizer or
whatever, gonna listen to it on a good stereo
system....

How are you looking at your mixes? I need
to learn how to read my frequencies, cos just
using my ears don't work if I can't hear
everything right?

Mr.Wet

Message 6/10                 Date: 17-Nov-00  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: 80hz roll-off

johnny

rolling off everything below 60Hz should sort things out, use a highpass filter to attenuate everything below this point. 80Hz is too high to be cutting everything below, 60Hz is the place. And do it before maximizing, yes.

Message 7/10                 Date: 18-Nov-00  @  04:25 AM   -   RE: 80hz roll-off

Mr.Wet

Righteous! Yeah 80 was making the stand-up bass sound sit-down ; )

Thanks bro!

Mr.Wet

Message 8/10                 Date: 18-Nov-00  @  09:52 PM   -   RE: 80hz roll-off

influx

wavelab has a spectral analyzer built in. and there are other programs that do it to. I think soundforge does?

but..I can take my mix to Qs studio and look at it on the behringer ultracurve, too. pretty cool..if anything just to watch the frequencies bounce up and down. stony 

Message 9/10                 Date: 27-Nov-00  @  01:35 PM   -   RE: 80hz roll-off

mitub

Just thought it was worth mentioning for the newbie (ie me a very short while ago really but I don't like to admit that) if you find the mix getting muddy when you introduce a kick or claps, high-hats etc try putting a bandpass filter on the kick only and rolling off the <60 mark, it really does make a big difference!

If you're writing club music, its temping to make kicks really bassy but think about it, in a club (I'm thinking hardhouse/nrg/techno here, none of that trance stuff...) the bass kicks really arn't that heavy, what makes them hard is the inclusion of something else in the higher frequencies like a rim hit or something. Try it.

(the blah blah blah bit)

If you're writing acid-techno, however - still not sure how they did that, went to the drome recently and they were playing THE MOST wicked acid-techno (or is it acid-electro) music ever with a *really thundering* bass but it seemed to be mixed in really nicely, ie didn't interfer with the rest of the mix at all, guess it could have been the PA system doing the bass or really clean bass perhaps...

Message 10/10                 Date: 27-Nov-00  @  01:38 PM   -   RE: 80hz roll-off

mitub

oops, just read back through the thread and somebody else has already said that, sorry all. i hate mondays.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum