0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: about the maximizing...

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 12-Nov-00  @  04:12 PM   -   about the maximizing...

peteman

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

little question 'bout the maximizing, style is trance

the way i do music is that i:
1. play a riff and record it to hd and normalize it
2. arrange all them in ACID and there:
i always keep the volume of the tracks under
-10.0 db so that when there's lots of tracks
it won't clip... yeah i know it's quiet  
3. mix all the tracks to .wav file
4. put the .wav file through dBM. Multiband Limiter
or Waves C4 or something similar to maximize the
volume

is this kind of method suitable for the overall sound
or does it have an negative effect like some parts
won't sound like they should sound? i mean, should i
keep the volume of the tracks as loud as possible in
ACID and then mix the tracks so that i get the highest
possible volume straight from ACID? i assume that after
doing that i don't have to put the sound through an
maximizer anymore?
how does the "pro's" do the mixing? do they use low
track volumes and then put the "quiet result" through
an maximizer to give it an final touch?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 12-Nov-00  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: about the maximizing...

teemu

Depends on what bitrate you are working on. If you use 16 bits you should always use maximum volume but if you use 24 bits you can always leave some headroom. Normalizing is no good by the way, you should always record at maximum volume. Normalizing increases noise and lessens the dynamic range of sounds.

I work with an analogue mixer so I'm not an expert though. Analogue mixers have lots of headroom so you can use tons of sounds before the mixer runs out of headroom. I assume that mixing with computers is the same. I mean, if you can't mix 2 sounds at 0db together the mixer is pretty much useless...

If Acid can't handle many sounds recorded at full volume get rid of it asap. ;)

Message 3/6                 Date: 13-Nov-00  @  07:45 AM   -   RE: about the maximizing...

After you have arranged your track why don't żou just lower the master volume in acid so that it won't clip? watch the VU meters...

I arrange my tunes with acid then allocate the samples to differend outputs and mix it with outboard mixer and fx and then record to cooledit...

I usually amplify my samples rather than normalize them... I don't know if it any differend or worse but.

Besides i think that ACID automatically adjusts the volume so that peak wont be more than 0db when saving as a .wav file... notsure tho

Message 4/6                 Date: 13-Nov-00  @  02:59 PM   -   RE: about the maximizing...

Defector Z

Link?: Link

teemu - are you confusing normalizing and compressing? Normalizing does not have ANY effect on the dynamics of a track. Normalizing only increases the volume of the whole track relative the the highest peak in amplitude of the track. So if your peak is -4db, the whole track will increase in volume by 4db. If you normalizing to 0db.

I do agree that you should record at the highest volume without clipping. When you normalize, like teemu said, you also raise the volume of the noise in the track. You want the highest signal to noise ratio you can possibly get.

If you record at -10db so that the track won't clip when everything is running, you should record at a higher volume, but playback at a lesser volume. So if track 1 and 2 are recorded at -2db, and when played together your master outs clip, you should still record at -2db but reduce the playback volume of tracks 1 and 2.

Message 5/6                 Date: 14-Nov-00  @  12:33 AM   -   RE: about the maximizing...

peteman

thanks, guys  

Message 6/6                 Date: 17-Nov-00  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: about the maximizing...

http://www.mp3.com/silverbird

Link?: Link

hello

well maximized? check out...

www.mp3.com/silverbird

greetings

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum