0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Question for 01V owners

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/18                 Date: 17-Oct-00  @  03:09 PM   -   Question for 01V owners

Jasper

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I reckon my skills or track quality aint going to advance mutch further with my current setup (behringer1602, 3630 compressor, aphex 104 is the dynamic stuff).

So I was wondering if purchasing a yamaha 01v would enable me to create better mixes because of it's extensive eq and dynamics on each channel, or am I just hoping.

Has anyone here got any comments on how their production has improved after purchasing one of these?

I really have to justify this, I'm not shite at production.. but I sometimes wonder if my basic equipment is hindering me.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/18                 Date: 17-Oct-00  @  08:26 PM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

johnny

In a word, YES!!!!!

I was in a very similar situation a couple of years ago. I was mixing on a folio SX and frankly getting nowhere fast, there's not a lot you can do with 3-band fixed frequency EQ (albeit with swept mids). I also had a nanocompressor patched into the stereo mix (big mistake!) and a couple of cheap FX units in the aux loops. After a few months using it, I realised I'd got as much out of it as I could for my application. The facilities on these little analogues are so shockingly basic, I think their intended use is live submixing.

So I made a leap of faith and bought the 01V, and I tell you the sounds I was producing two days later were a world apart. It's phenomenal, and perfectly suited to electronic music production. After just a short time with the 4-band parametric EQ you couldn't entertain the thought of using the EQ on your old desk, is it just cut and boost @ 80Hz for the low band? Something rubbish like that...

The preset EQ and dynamics libraries are great starting points for your mixes, you can learn a lot just by looking at them on the screen. Also, you get loads of metering at various stages throughout the signal path so gain staging is easy. I could go on about it all day, but I can tell you from experience that it's absolutely the right thing to do. At the minute, all you have is a basic recording setup but the 01V is a very powerful *production* tool.

Message 3/18                 Date: 17-Oct-00  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

99devils

Ditto that... The great thing about the 01V also is the fact that it does have those presets. While you're getting used to the desk, and learning it's ins and outs, it's helpful to be able to go through and just call up a fitting preset and tweak to taste. While you're doing that, you'll start to get your head around what you need to do to what sound in general, and before you know it your mixes will sound much tighter.

You also have clean headroom for days with the 01V, and it's sound is so squeaky-clean problems with your mixes start to jump right out at you. The versatility is amazing, with the dynamics processors and EQs... It'd cost a lot of dosh to save up for 20 compressors   With the 01V you have it all there, at your disposal, and it's easy - no patching, no bs.

Good luck. It's a big leap, but I'm so glad I made it.

-Craig

Message 4/18                 Date: 17-Oct-00  @  10:52 PM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

GT

I can and would recommend the 01v.

GT

Message 5/18                 Date: 18-Oct-00  @  05:16 AM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

formant

Link?:  Link

do it man.... it will improve your sound....

garbage in garbage out still applies but in general its a sweet desk.

jamey

Message 6/18                 Date: 18-Oct-00  @  08:06 AM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

influx

if you know what youre doing it would seem that the o1v or the like would allow you to go further...

but...bottom line.. you gotta know what youre doing no matter WHAT...

good ol crap in crap out. Now..I gotta go take a crap

Message 7/18                 Date: 19-Oct-00  @  12:46 PM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

Jasper

I like to think I know what I'm doing, it's just that a crap desk, 1 compressor, and 1 outboard.. leaves a lot of room for error.

Right, cheers everyone... just got to convince the missus now.

Message 8/18                 Date: 20-Oct-00  @  01:42 AM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

GT

Good luck J...I think we men make it easier on ourselves if we just tell 'em "Yes, but, I promise I'll also get you that toaster oven"  

GT

Message 9/18                 Date: 20-Oct-00  @  04:13 AM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

influx

guess what. got one on the way  man..I cant believe the money Ill spend on this shit!!!!

this is the last piece of gear I buy for a LONG time. I am gonna hole up in my studio and puke out words and sounds till spring. hopefully something of worth will come of it, if only a bit of self discovery. sorry...too hippy sounding there.eek

Message 10/18                 Date: 21-Oct-00  @  07:05 AM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

GT

>>>>this is the last piece of gear I buy for a LONG time. <<<<

now now, influx, don't say that too soon mate, you'll buy more ;-)

Super glad to see you happy, you WILL really enjoy even the slightest features on this desk.

What's that? You wanna redo that track from 19xx...press THREE buttons, no paper mix templets, no endless pot adjustments etc.

Congrats!

GT

Message 11/18                 Date: 21-Oct-00  @  08:05 AM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

influx

cept..only stores 4 mixes? but yeah, in actuality the recall feature was a huge deciding factor because I dont usually work on other stuff til I have "that one" off the board....

I am totally looking forward to it, though! wish they had put inserts on it..AT LEAST the main buss....tryin to figger out how to use my C2 compressor and monitor through that. Probably just monitor through the soundcard...

and I wont be buyin ANY new gear for a LONG time. I swear by that. THe only thing I might do is trade my virus A for a KB..but probably not

Message 12/18                 Date: 21-Oct-00  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

johnny

only stores 4 mixes? 100, or 99 if you discount the initialised mix...

Message 13/18                 Date: 21-Oct-00  @  07:39 PM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

influx

where the FUCK did I get the FOUR? I thought somebody said something about that!!!

so...itll hold 99 mixes in memory? including fader moves and ALL that shit?

WOW!!!

Message 14/18                 Date: 21-Oct-00  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

johnny

er, the 01V doesn't store fader moves at all, they are recorded into an external sequencer and played back from it. The 03D and 02R have built-in mix sequencers, but not the 01V.

Each mix memory (Scene in Yamaha-speak) stores all mix settings (fader positions, aux sends, FX settings, EQ, dynamics, routings etc.) for total recall. Stuff that is NOT stored in a scene includes 01V setup data, the MIDI CC# map, EQ/dynamics library, and scene memory data (obviously). But all of this can be stored in a bulk dump so you're not restricted by the onboard memory limits.

I think it might have been me who said something about four memories in another thread, this was to do with the remote MIDI fader mode - there are four profile locations (or Banks in Yamaha-speak) that can contain different MIDI fader/button assignments. These four banks are not part of the scene memory, in the same way that the CC# map is not. In other words, when you save or recall a mix the CC# map and MIDI fader profiles remain the same (as do the other settings excluded from the scene memory). Sorry if I caused any confusion :-)

Message 15/18                 Date: 22-Oct-00  @  03:10 AM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

influx

and you just caused even more!!! 

sure sounds like a powerful mixer! Im excited, to say the least 

Message 16/18                 Date: 23-Oct-00  @  02:41 PM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

99devils

I really haven't dug fully into the depth of this mixer. I haven't touched the MIDI fader box mode, and still haven't done much with automating the faders via MIDI. But the mix scenes are the fucking bomb. If you find something on your track you don't like a month down the road, you can call up your mix with a couple button pushes and fix it.

I love this thing!

-Craig

Message 17/18                 Date: 23-Oct-00  @  08:47 PM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

GT

Does anyone use the 01v to do sysex to set up your each synth in your kit?

GT

Message 18/18                 Date: 30-Oct-00  @  11:55 PM   -   RE: Question for 01V owners

influx

I was just readin about that last night...

but, honestly, since I only have a virus and E4 I probably wont touch that. I love the virus knobs, and editing the E4 really is a cynch as far as Im concerned.

seems like it would work great for controlling like soft synths or the like tho

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum