0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: storing a final mix digitally

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9                 Date: 09-Oct-00  @  09:15 AM   -   storing a final mix digitally

dow jones

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I make music using a mixer that only has an analog out and I wonder what the best way to record and store a final mix digitally is (the A/D converter in my soundcard is crap). Is there any digital recording equipment that can be connected to a PC (via SCSI for example) so that you can save your recording on your hard drive in a format that lets you manipulate the recording using Wavelab etc?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/9                 Date: 09-Oct-00  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: storing a final mix digitally

k

either get a better soundcard or get an s/pdif card and an external analog-s/pdif converter and run the mixer into the converter and the converter into the s/pdif card

Message 3/9                 Date: 10-Oct-00  @  01:01 PM   -   RE: storing a final mix digitally

Jasper

k - do you know of any purely s/pdif cards?

Message 4/9                 Date: 10-Oct-00  @  01:06 PM   -   RE: storing a final mix digitally

nobody

Link?: Link

there's the Maudio DIO cards. one does 48k max, the other does 96k max. i THINK they have rca out for monitoring as well. part of the above grewp. they should be quality cards ya know? i have a MIDIman pc interface that worked for me fine.. and my MIDIman 3x8 thru works great. i like my thru box.

Message 5/9                 Date: 10-Oct-00  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: storing a final mix digitally

nobody

Link?:  Link

Dio 2448, list price $149.

Message 6/9                 Date: 10-Oct-00  @  02:53 PM   -   RE: storing a final mix digitally

k

whats the latency like on the dio2448?.. RME-hammerfall is worth a look too as they do very low latency asio s/pdif cards i think. The hoontech dsp2496 card (without the rack) also has s/pdif & LOW latency but no midi unless you buy a cheap add-on midi box they do. the cheap-assed Hoontech Digital XG card (with the xg/sondius synth onboard & 4 speaker game surround support) also has s/pdif but higher latency as there is NOT asio drivers for it.. if asio is NOT an issue, the hoontech digital xg is 50 quid !!! and trust me it works ! (co-ax & optical s/pdif i/o) all for a lousey 50 notes !!

Message 7/9                 Date: 11-Oct-00  @  04:22 AM   -   RE: storing a final mix digitally

H

I use the dio 2496 card w/ my finalizer96k as a/d in my g4 and it works great.It has optical and rca s/pdif.It has only 20 bit conversion on the rca analog outs.Latency is pretty minimal but for me all latency sucks.But i like to put my cds on MD with it.tech support is good too.Lifetime warranty.All digital i/o supports 24bit 96k data path but your hardware has to be pretty new.Apogee psx-100,rosetta,Lucid,and the finalizer 96k all have 96k support through s/pdif.

H

Message 8/9                 Date: 11-Oct-00  @  11:19 AM   -   RE: storing a final mix digitally

Jasper

I don't think asio would be an issue (ahem, what is it exactly?).. I just need to records my tracks onto the drive and back onto dat via digital.

50 squids sounds good tho.

Message 9/9                 Date: 11-Oct-00  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: storing a final mix digitally

k

jasper... what are you wanting to do, record your tracks from what, via what?? -

if it it is off vinyl then run the dj mixer into the analog IN and mix it in a s/w and play out to dat via s/pdif, or for better quality add a higher quality outboard analog to s/pdif converter box and record In to the pc via the s/pdif in from the box... whatever.. depends how 'good' you want the sound... well the hoontech digital xg will do all that the inputs are ok and sturdy... 50 quid or so 60 tops... very good card for the dosh, and the s/pdif on it is 'proper'. check out their site and see the spec's, for 50-60 quid it's ludicrous.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum