0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Which comes first....Chicken or Compressor?

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3                 Date: 19-Sep-00  @  09:37 AM   -   Which comes first....Chicken or Compressor?

DZ

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi all,

Please enlighten me as to the proper ordering of the following Insert effects.

EQ
Noise Gate
Compressor

Also if anyone can explain the impact of Delay after Reverb or the other way around, it would be most appreciated.

I am using Logic Audio 4.2.3 for my mixes.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/3                 Date: 19-Sep-00  @  12:59 PM   -   RE: Which comes first....Chicken or Compressor?

johnny

Link?:  No link

The EQ can come before or after the compressor, depending on whether you wanted to compress the EQ'd sound or EQ the compressed sound. Use your ears.

If you're using Logic to process your mixes digitally, a noise gate isn't really needed as you can totally silence the noise using the editing tools in Logic.

Delay after reverb would give you delayed reverb, reverb after delay would reverberate the delays... er, it's like that basically. The results can vary hugely depending on how you set the FX levels (dry/wet etc) in the modules, so again the key is to experiment and hear what does what.

Message 3/3                 Date: 19-Sep-00  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: Which comes first....Chicken or Compressor?

damballah

Link?:  Link

Although in some cases, drums for instance, putting the eq before the comp makes the frequencies you want to emphasize trigger the compressor. It ends up fighting you. So use the compressor to get a handle on the dynamics, the eq it.

I could see using the expander/gate plug for squishing headphone leakage in a vocal track. Vocal tracks can sound a little weird if you silence the gaps too completely. Just take it down to the point where the instrumental tracks mask it.

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum