0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Getting your freq. working together

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5                 Date: 12-Sep-00  @  04:03 PM   -   Getting your freq. working together

Gee

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Well, we all eventually go a bit crazy from fustation , well I did, untill we realize that u have to get your sounds to sit in certain freq. ranges to get an eventual good mix which sounds smack on just like u want, well I realized that, but getting it right is another story and one step closer to that strap jacket.....u got your sub-bass, u got your kick, right u say, I keep my sub-bass between 50 to 70 hz, and keep my kick between 70 to 90/120, right, pass each signal through a 31 band eq, and get mighty aggressive with the boost and cut, tinker around for a week and it still sounds bloody awful, is it possible to restrict a sound to such a narrow bandwidth and yet maintain body and oomph, is a filter approach with variable slope a better mind saver or am i totally off the track, sigh......any tips, please............

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/5                 Date: 12-Sep-00  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: Getting your freq. working together

johnny

"get mighty aggressive with the boost and cut"

That's where you're going wrong. Savage EQ always ends up sounding rubbish, boosting much more so than cutting. If you do a lot of EQ'ing, a quality parametric is more useful and better-sounding than a 31-band graphic. Even with a decent EQ though excessive boost sounds unnatural, so cutting is always the best way to go. Instead of boosting X frequency, cut the frequencies either side instead. This applies to the midrange more than the bass and treble, but always cut before you think of boosting. If you do need to boost, try not to go above 3dB or it will start to sound odd.

Message 3/5                 Date: 12-Sep-00  @  07:38 PM   -   RE: Getting your freq. working together

damballah

Link?:  Link

Johnny nailed it. I might add, get it sounding as good as you can in midi. Then when you move to audio, get as far as you can with just levels. Then you can start using eq and dynamics and effects to polish things rather than spending a week mangling it and ending up frustrated.

Message 4/5                 Date: 13-Sep-00  @  03:28 AM   -   RE: Getting your freq. working together

Gee

Angels u are from above.....for real, much appreciated !

Message 5/5                 Date: 03-Oct-00  @  10:29 PM   -   RE: Getting your freq. working together

k

start with the drums and bassline... mix the sounds until it all gels and grooves and has a harmony... it might be that that point sounds DIFFERTENT to twhat it started like.. yes even eq & mix of those two can change the bassline in some way and the feel... anyways, it might be that after the two are grooving with the riff, some other bits might not work whatever.. re make them then... if the track is built round a keyboard riff you came up with, add drums and mix until it rocks, then add a bassline etc to empathise... but all in all, look/listen MORe for some empathy between parts on a basic mix level, really bare i mean.. if that is tweaked right then you get a certain point that grooves.. and that point might not have the bassline filtered for example how you heard it, or sounbding in some other was as you heard it when writing it... it might have been eq'd and mixed to such a level that grooves yet cos of that mix you might only be able to 'percieve' some of the bassline notes.. not actually hear them distinctly any more... that is fine.. it is this resonant 'gel' point you are looking for when it all grooves with the absolute basics running.

the rest is icing.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum