0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: cd player vs decks

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8                 Date: 04-Sep-00  @  07:12 PM   -   cd player vs decks

slow

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

im thinking about getting a pair of decks but then
i saw some top loading cd players. I was wondering if i could do the
same thing with the cd players as i can with the tables?
Cause it would be much easyer for me to cds then vinyl.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/8                 Date: 05-Sep-00  @  03:40 AM   -   RE: cd player vs decks

chris

Link?: Link

I began DJing life on a pair of Pioneer CDJ500s and am now using the smaller 500s (700s outside UK) plus vinyl decks.

There's no reason not to use CDs if you've already got a decent collection.

Using CD and vinyl means you have all the advantages:

You get the tracks which only appear on 1 media

You potentially get a relatively cheap way of recording and DJing your own material (on CDR).

I find that CDJs are not as accurate as vinyl decks for pitch adjustment, but make up for it in their ability to cue from a point and instantly jump back to that point on a button press.

The pioneer jog wheel works 'kind of' like a vinyl deck in that you can push or pull the track back into beat alignment - very useful.

The other sometimes-useful feature on the Pioneer decks is the master-pitch, which allows you to adjust tempo without changing pitch. Can sound a bit strange if used too heavily, but for small pitch adjustments, can be used to match up a track and then pull it/push it back to it's natural tempo without the crowd noticing.

Only down-side to CDJing is that you'll probably have to carry around your own CDJs to most parties, since many parties/clubs will still be surprised to hear that you don't use vinyl.

I say go for it!

Message 3/8                 Date: 05-Sep-00  @  07:54 AM   -   RE: cd player vs decks

formant

Link?:  Link

yeah, i have been spinning cds and vinyl since 93 and since about 95 i burn all my vinyl right off to cd when i get it home from the store.

i have a denon 2600f and the thing is rock solid.

i like the little pioneer 100s as well, great for the price.

don't listen to all the crap the vinyl bigots give you, if you have tons of cds then get a cd deck. you might wanna pick up at least 1 1200 in case you don't have time to burn off the vinyl.

i have been showing up with my own cd decks for years. everyone seems to expect it now, no big deal.

later

jamey

Message 4/8                 Date: 05-Sep-00  @  05:44 PM   -   RE: cd player vs decks

Pongoid

One thing to keep in mind about top loading decks is that when you open the door, you let all inds of dust and crap get into your deck's inner workings, and that's not good for them. But on a more ill note, fuck just using CD's start out on vinyl, learnig the tuff stuff first, then use the CD's, cuz CD's are easy stuff. If you start off all kinds of spoiled, you'll never be able to pull it off as a vinyl DJ. An example is these automicly tempo/pitch/bpm locking new Pioneer dual CD decks. What kind of weak assed "here, you can play like you've put in the time" shit is that? What happened to getting your hands on it, and spending the time training your ears, and building the skills to be able to call yourself a DJ with pride? I suppose if you're just spinning shit anyway, then it doesn't matter, but a lot of stuff you just can't find on CD, but the same goes for vinyl as well, so learn the tough stuff first, then the rest is all easy. Why skimp on yourself?

Ape

Message 5/8                 Date: 05-Sep-00  @  09:09 PM   -   RE: cd player vs decks

formant

aw comeon pongoid... it depends on what he's doing. he probably doesn't need two tables right away if he gets two cd decks.

i found it very easy to go from cd decks to vinyl (from denon back in 94ish i think).

really it depends on what you spin. if you spin drum n bass, trance, house, breaks, etc there is almost no difference in what you are doing technically.

if you are doing hip hop or some bad boy bill scratching madness then of course vinyl is the only choice.

if he has mostly cds, he should get a couple of decks as well as pick up a 1200 so he isn't left looking stupid if he ever does have to spin vinyl.

vinyl is good for certain things, and cds are good for others so know both.

matter fact (like i always say in these threads) if you are a good dj you should be able to spin tracks off anything (mp3, cd, md, vinyl etc)

besides, how many things can you get as mp3 that you can't find the vinyl for? :-) a whole lot of stuff that was out and now can't be found. burn those puppies off to cds and roll with em... i always have buddies letting me grab their latest vinyls and burn em off. it works out nice for me personally. also, if i am in the studio, i wrap up a track and then take it out and try it on the crowd. much better than dub plates imo.

but you bring up very valid points about the pioneer dj it for you stuff... that will get you nowhere but laughed at. alot of the mp3 dj players try and do that also.

if you are pitching and matching tempos and moving the crowd while doing it that is all that matters... whatever the media play a great set and you will be respected.

jamey

Message 6/8                 Date: 06-Sep-00  @  02:36 AM   -   RE: cd player vs decks

chris

Starting out with just CD doesn't seem to have done me much harm.

I found the transition from CJ to vinyl quite easy - the worst part being setting up an initial cue point.

The new Pioneer 'does it all for you' idea does scare me a bit though. I think you'll find that it's aimed at the 'Harry's mobile disco' type market. I can't see many *real* DJs using it.

Chris

Message 7/8                 Date: 07-Sep-00  @  01:31 PM   -   RE: cd player vs decks

djdarrenb

There really isnt a big difference between cd's and decks. I've been djing on both for about 4 years now, and havent found much of a difference, but my preference is for vinyl. This is because of three main reasons.

1. You can look at a 12" and tell where the breakdowns are straightaway (dakrer colour on the wax)

2. If a cartridge goes on you its easy to replace quickly while doing a gig. if a cd lens goes youre screwed !!!

3. Most record labels still dont supply DJ promos on cd. so you find what youre spinning is about 2-4 months behind date.

It really depends on what youre doing. If its just a hobby choose cd decks, if you want to take it more seriously choose vinyl

Message 8/8                 Date: 08-Sep-00  @  04:53 AM   -   RE: cd player vs decks

chris

Another advantage of vinyl (12 inch at any rate) is that there's 1 or 2 tracks you'll use per slab of plastic, which makes running through your record box to find the track you're after easier.

'course this means that carrying around vinyl is heavier.

I know loads of DJs who carry CDs in a multi-pouch from country to country.

It gets around the 'work permit' restrictions problem to an extent. If customs stop you with a box of vinyl - it's a bit of a give-away. If they stop you with a pouch of CDs and a portable player - then they're for personal listening use...

;o)

A good proportion of psychedelic trance (the style I play) is promo-ed on CD. If I get a track from an artist - it's usually on CD.

Another advantage of CD is that you can tell exactly how long a track has to go to completion - doesn't tell you when the kick drum's going to stop though...

;o)

Chris

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum