0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Panning stuff

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9                 Date: 14-Aug-00  @  07:48 AM   -   Panning stuff

harold

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

DTers,
quick panning query, are there any basic "laws" of panning? Like, i understand it's wise to leave your kick and b-line central, but is there any thing else that you always or never do?
thanx

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/9                 Date: 14-Aug-00  @  05:28 PM   -   RE: Panning stuff

k

oh man, there is just so much you can do with panning - and some outboard - if it is to be played in mono, check it as a mono mix thats about it really, otherwise whatever although unless i was doing a spread effect with two channels panned hard, i wouldnt put an object in the mix hard panned either side.

Message 3/9                 Date: 15-Aug-00  @  03:39 AM   -   RE: Panning stuff

harold

spread effect - is that when you have two identical tracks, one panned hard left the other right? what does it do to the sound? just make it "bigger"..?
& is there really loads of other stuff you can do?

Message 4/9                 Date: 15-Aug-00  @  12:20 PM   -   RE: Panning stuff

k

yeah, but the secret is a slight delay to one channel.. just a tad, that really spreads the vox out, plus you can do stuff like messing with the stereo image width and stuff with two delays

Message 5/9                 Date: 15-Aug-00  @  04:54 PM   -   RE: Panning stuff

gun shy

is it really true that 90% of club PAs in the USA and UK are mono?

does that mean that panning effects (like w/double tracking) are wasted, or will it still make a difference in the sound?

Message 6/9                 Date: 16-Aug-00  @  12:08 AM   -   RE: Panning stuff

damballah

Link?:  Link

Can't speak for our UK brethren. Live venues in the U.S. are almost always mono, although it's really fun to work a system that isn't. Danceclubs vary. I've been in both sorts. More often than not bass bins tucked somewhere and mids and highs firing down at the floor. You shouldn't do too much weirdly-phased stuff if you're going to vinyl 'cause the cutter won't like it. And it might cancel out in mono. Mix in stereo, check it mono.

Message 7/9                 Date: 17-Aug-00  @  07:01 AM   -   RE: Panning stuff

Jasper

when you say the cutter, do you mean for bass? or hats too.. a lot of my stuff uses dephased hihats and now I'm going 'oh bugger'

Message 8/9                 Date: 17-Aug-00  @  09:21 AM   -   RE: Panning stuff

damballah

Link?:  Link

are you talking about stereo-phase tricks with the hats? think about what shape a high-frequency out-of-phase groove in a piece of vinyl would have and you get a picture of why you may wanna steer clear of that. just gotta work within the limitations of the medium. there's a pretty good faq out there by an engineer in a vinyl cutting plant in Nashville. I'll try to find that URL again and post it.

Message 9/9                 Date: 17-Aug-00  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: Panning stuff

d...

Link?: Link

here you go

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum