0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Law quality in digital processing

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 04-Aug-00  @  07:18 AM   -   Low quality in digital processing

mrud2000

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi Dancetechers

I got the issue with low sound quality with digital mixing and processing. Many messages already pinted out the problem, but in most cases they point the sound card quality and specificly DAC converters. I agree with it, but...
I have made the following experiment. I ripped some good quality (to my perception) music from CD. Then I burnt a new CD with this sample. Then I played back the new CD on the same player and the quality was noticeable dropped down. It could not be sound card or DAC because I did not use it! I used the same DAC as with original CD. It this down to conversion from raw audio data into wave and back that decreases quality? Anybody digged down this issue before? Maybe this is only my set up and perception?

Any comments appreciated

Best regards
mrud

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 04-Aug-00  @  08:02 AM   -   RE: Law quality in digital processing

Jasper

interesting... erm, if you geeky like me anyway.

did you actually rip the music or just record whilst you played the cd.. cos the lead from a cd player in your pc to the soundcard isn't digital.. it's converting digital to analogue then back again.

a ripper will pull the cd audio file onto your hard drive via the pci bus.. which is why some older cd players can't do it.

Message 3/6                 Date: 04-Aug-00  @  08:16 AM   -   RE: Law quality in digital processing

Jasper

it does sound like you ripped it tho.. I dunno.

converting from raw to wav won't lose any quality. there aint some bit's lost while burning is there? there shouldn't be.

there must be some kind of conversion going on at some point.. have you checked the burner program for settings etc?

Message 4/6                 Date: 06-Aug-00  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: Law quality in digital processing

mrud2000

Hi There,

I did not even thought that it could not be a ripping process, but just simple recording. It might be that.
I used a new Toshiba Satellite notebook and Adaptec Easy CD creator.
Thanks Jasper for suggestions. At least I know that raw2wav should not affect quality.

Brgds mrud

Message 5/6                 Date: 09-Aug-00  @  05:02 PM   -   RE: Law quality in digital processing

teknoguy

Link?: Link

Yeah, there is a loss of sound quality when ripping a CD to mp3. Thats why all those adds for Rios or whatnot say "hours of near-CD quality in the palm of your hand" or whatever they say. ...yeah.

Message 6/6                 Date: 24-Aug-00  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: Law quality in digital processing

mikec

Link?: Link

Does it sound dull compared to the original by any chance?

Like some of the high frequencies are missing?

That is caused by errors on the CD. It could be the writer, a dodgy blank disc, or even the software. A few years ago, there was investigation into why some CD writers simply did not like certain brands of disc. You may have been unlucky enough to have this happen (it doesn't really happen anymore).

All CD players have error correction. If an error is encountered then the player will do a bit of oversampling magic and compensate for it. You don't notice errors usually, but when there are lots of them (caused by the writing process), the music sounds dull.

MikeC

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum