0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: help for a hobbyist

Viewing all 23 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/23                 Date: 25-Jul-00  @  07:06 AM   -   help for a hobbyist

ddeshetler

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have been reading through the different topics in this forum and have seen that mostly there are arguements and disagreements. If some of you could, without cursing at one another, please help me out, I would be much obliged. I have found a great interest in music, more specifically trance, drum and bass, remixes, etc. I am interested only in doing this as a hobby but, as a hobby am willing to spend a pretty decent sum (by my inexperienced standards) to have fun doing this. If you could, let me know some good equipment and/or software for doing this. Im not interested in doing clubs, or live gigs, just screwing around at my house.

thank you.

-David.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/23                 Date: 25-Jul-00  @  08:20 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

bante

Well, i think u should start with a workstation, like Trinity, or ( the better yet? ) Triton. U get all u need in these digisynths, i e basses, drumkits, pads, strings, pianos, and not so good analog imitations. And when you got the money, u just buy a gear which has the sound the workstation misses ( and the ones U want of course ) And then you need a mixer....

The story will never end

Message 3/23                 Date: 25-Jul-00  @  10:08 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

Solid Algoriddim

My story is i just started playing with the Software rebirth and fell in love with filters. now rebirth is so advanced that it is absolutely amazing all the things it can do now. try Rebirth at www.propellerheads.com but if you wnat the real-deal-hands-on-feel ( which is what i eventually said) get a workstation, like that guy said. My first somewhat all-in-one unit was the MC-505, and it is great for that. If you are real computer oriented you might want to go the sampler route, the internet being an unlimited resource for samples and drum loops!

Message 4/23                 Date: 25-Jul-00  @  03:15 PM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

ddeshetler

Thank you both. I have just one more, semi-important question. What is the cost of these new? an estimate on them used? etc...I like the idea of hands-on better than simply computer software, although, I will probably try a little of both to see which fits me best.

-david

Message 5/23                 Date: 26-Jul-00  @  06:21 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

Jasper

Sampler - a3000 new for 600 quid.
Mixing desk - behringer mx1602 - for under 200 quid

erm.. get fruity loops pro to start with because it's simple but also it's deep.. it will take you through all the things you'll find on professional samplers.. and more. and if you buy a sampler fruity loops is still usefull for creating loops.
it's a good place to start.

Message 6/23                 Date: 26-Jul-00  @  09:42 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

ddeshetler

thanks alot...Ill look around and see if I can find those locally first, then if not, over the internet shopping I go.

-david

Message 7/23                 Date: 26-Jul-00  @  09:51 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

Defector Z

This question comes up quite a bit and there are a standard sort of questions that you need to answer.

1. Budget.

2. Experience.

3. Are you PC based or h/w based.

4. Existing equipment.

5. What kind of homework have your already done.

6. What type of exposure have you had to this type of equipment.

I think you've been looking in the wrong forum...

Message 8/23                 Date: 26-Jul-00  @  11:47 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

ddeshetler

I may be looking in the wrong list, but, here are the answers to your questions.

SUBJECT:
'help for a hobbyist'
mail this discussion to a freind..

Messages posted to thread:

Message From Date
ddeshetler@vcdss.org - 25-Jul-00
bante - 25-Jul-00
Solid Algoriddim - 25-Jul-00
ddeshetler@vcdss.org - 25-Jul-00
Jasper - 26-Jul-00
ddeshetler@vcdss.org - 26-Jul-00
Defector Z - 26-Jul-00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
help for a hobbyist
Date: 25-Jul-00

I have been reading through the different topics in this forum and have seen that mostly there are arguements and disagreements. If some of you could, without cursing at one another, please help me out, I would be much obliged. I have found a great interest in music, more specifically trance, drum and bass, remixes, etc. I am interested only in doing this as a hobby but, as a hobby am willing to spend a pretty decent sum (by my inexperienced standards) to have fun doing this. If you could, let me know some good equipment and/or software for doing this. Im not interested in doing clubs, or live gigs, just screwing around at my house.
thank you.

-David.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: help for a hobbyist

Well, i think u should start with a workstation, like Trinity, or ( the better yet? ) Triton. U get all u need in these digisynths, i e basses, drumkits, pads, strings, pianos, and not so good analog imitations. And when you got the money, u just buy a gear which has the sound the workstation misses ( and the ones U want of course ) And then you need a mixer....
The story will never end

My story is i just started playing with the Software rebirth and fell in love with filters. now rebirth is so advanced that it is absolutely amazing all the things it can do now. try Rebirth at www.propellerheads.com but if you wnat the real-deal-hands-on-feel ( which is what i eventually said) get a workstation, like that guy said. My first somewhat all-in-one unit was the MC-505, and it is great for that. If you are real computer oriented you might want to go the sampler route, the internet being an unlimited resource for samples and drum loops!

Thank you both. I have just one more, semi-important question. What is the cost of these new? an estimate on them used? etc...I like the idea of hands-on better than simply computer software, although, I will probably try a little of both to see which fits me best.
-david

Date: 26-Jul-00

Sampler - a3000 new for 600 quid.
Mixing desk - behringer mx1602 - for under 200 quid

erm.. get fruity loops pro to start with because it's simple but also it's deep.. it will take you through all the things you'll find on professional samplers.. and more. and if you buy a sampler fruity loops is still usefull for creating loops.

it's a good place to start.

thanks alot...Ill look around and see if I can find those locally first, then if not, over the internet shopping I go.
-david

This question comes up quite a bit and there are a standard sort of questions that you need to answer.

1. Budget.

somewhere 'twixt $1000 and 3000$

2. Experience.

not a lick.

3. Are you PC based or h/w based.

probably going to be PC based for a while because it is a cheaper way of learning a little about mixing and creating the music I want to, giving me a feel for the scene before I go delving in past my budget.

4. Existing equipment.

heh...counting my computer? 1.

5. What kind of homework have your already done.

this is part of it. I have looked wherever I could find articles about equipment, Ive emailed different people with experience and asked them to help me get on the write track. Ive subscribed to several ezines, magazines and newsletters about making music using equipment such as mixers and samplers, etc. and while I dont fully understand everything they are talking about yet, I will catch on before long.

6. What type of exposure have you had to this type of equipment.

none at the moment. Im going to try and weasel my way into a local recording studio or friends house for some practice and learning experience.

Message 9/23                 Date: 26-Jul-00  @  11:49 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

ddeshetler

shit, what the hell was that? ignore the top part, looks like messages already posted...sorry. I didnt know copying and pasting the questions would shove a stick up the boards ass like that...hmph.

-david

Message 10/23                 Date: 26-Jul-00  @  02:17 PM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

Defector Z

You have a ton of options ahead of you, a decend budget, and you shouldn't be afraid to make some mistakes. I spent a little over $3k (US) for my first bit of kit. This is what I got - and you can do a heck of alot better than I did.

Korg N364 - synth
Cubase VST 3.5 (at the time)
Rebirth (soft synth/drum machine)
Mackie 1202vlz (mixer)
Event 20/20p's (studio monitors)
Event Darla (soundcard)
and cords to make it work

I think I started with a good setup - more than many. The point is, for your budget, you have a lot of options.

What are the specs of your PC? Do you have a soundcard?

Message 11/23                 Date: 27-Jul-00  @  04:57 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

Jasper

you've got to think about the sound you want to go for too. hard edged or layed back or what? you don't want to spend 500 quid on a synth only to find out it's in completely the wrong direction for you.. (it's really demoralising).

Message 12/23                 Date: 27-Jul-00  @  05:34 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

ddehetler

Jasper, I bet it is demoralising. heh, and as for both your and Defectorz comments.

My PC is about ot get replaced, by what, Im not sure at the moment. The computer I am using right now is a temp replacement for the one that got hit by lightening a couple of weeks ago. I want to get a pIII, but Im not sure what processor Im going to get. Atleast 64 meg, I want something more, but most likely an 8gig HD, CD?CD-r, etc.

well...as for the type of music I want to make, something fast, hard and pounding. But, I dont want to block my self in there. I still would like, (when mood permits) to make something a little more on the quiet side. I have a fascination with all music styles, so forgive me if I cant exactly pinpoint the style I want to lock myself into.

Message 13/23                 Date: 27-Jul-00  @  08:07 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

Jasper

well the reason I asked is because certain synths are better at certain things.. I aint going to comment on stuff I haven't owned though.. so..

the microwave2 - around 400 or cheaper 2nd hand.. it has tons of depth and the tonal character can be nice to evil.. it's digital so it has that sort of sharp edge to it.. however it can also be flabby and loose it depends on your preference..

in comparison to the yamaha an1x.. I couldn't get anything but trance out of this.. I tried and tried and gave up and sold it.

honestly... go for fruity loops pro.. at 100 quid.. I am dead impressed with this.. download the latest (save disabled) demo to check it out.. but I'm considering buying it to work along side my sampler etc.. it's great for creating loops quickly and tidily.

Message 14/23                 Date: 27-Jul-00  @  08:19 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

Defector Z

The first thing I would do is go to the Logic Audio, Cubase VST, Cakewalk websites and download their demos. Or borrow(!) a copy of any from a friend, and play around with it.

Do you have a soundcard attached to your current pc? Will you be getting one? Would you prefer hardware over software?

Do you have any music background?

Honestly, grab a PC, a soundcard and get as much freeware (synths, drum machines, etc.) as you can and play. Consider investing in Rebirth and learn to use that. It's $150 (new, I think) and will give you good exposure to programming rhythms and such. There are lots of softsynths out there as well. Use those. You won't be spending much early, but it sounds like you have a long to go. Especially if you have no musical background.

good starting h/w synths are Yamaha CS1X, Yamaha AN1X, any of the Roland XP synths. Check out the RM1X, too. It's a good an all-in-one as you can get, and you won't want to replace it. Ever. The sequencer is top-notch and the synth in it is a nice bonus. You can always expand, as well. Actually, do that. Get an RM1X. You'll learn sequencing, you have a few options for programming synth sounds, you can expose yourself (heh-heh) to fx (as it has fx built in and you can route the fx in different ways) and the sounds are decent. Once you've learned that, you can add on.

Message 15/23                 Date: 27-Jul-00  @  08:28 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

ddeshetler

musical background. Well, I have VERY limited pianist experience and a little more in the guitar (bass and 6-string) nothing else though Im afraid, and not good at all in reading music.

yes, a have a soundcard, and will be getting a better one in the next computer hopefully. Any suggestions on that?

as for the hardware, software thing, I like the idea of the software as you both seem to have agreed on it. now if you can both agree on a program for me to buy. I will be downloading demos, I already have several...(about 300 megs worth) I have yet to try them out though as they are still here at work.

which do you two prefer? hardware or software? and which do you two think is best for some one in my situation? Ive never had any experience in either, so, Im quite the blank when it comes to trying to decide. Pro's and Con's?

thanks, and keep posting.

-david.

Message 16/23                 Date: 27-Jul-00  @  08:43 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

ddeshetler

question:

some one I know, that I mentioned I was looking into music making, wants to sell me a Korg X5 synth. Now, neither of you mentioned Korg in the machines tou recommended to me, but, it appears to be in pretty good shape, and he swears its a good price. Ofcourse, being the careful (sometimes..) person I am, I decided to ask you two. he wants 250 for it. dollars that is. let me know.

thanks

david.

Message 17/23                 Date: 27-Jul-00  @  08:49 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

Defector Z

I don't have any experience with the X5. Check out the synths I mentioned. And look used. But go to a guitar center and look at the RM1X. You will thank me for that advice. Eventually you will.

I prefer hardware, it is more immediate, it is more stable, it is more portable (I can bring my RM1X on trips with me but I can't bring my PC). But don't listen to us. Go to a music store and hear for yourself. Of course this person you know if going to tell you the X5 is good - he's trying to sell it to you!!!

But s/w is cheaper. If you like cracks, it can be free. Use those a little before you buy anything else. get used to putting music together this way.

Listen to any of the Roland XP's. They have sequencers and can be considered workstations. Try the MC505 as well - taht is a synth/sequencer. You get that instead of the RM1X - they do the same thing in different ways.

Message 18/23                 Date: 27-Jul-00  @  09:00 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

ddeshetler

*coughcoughcough* cracks...*ahem*
arent those "Illegal" ?? heh...

I will do that, and yeah, ofcourse he is trying to sell it to me, but some salesmen actually tell the truth. But I will go by Mars or Music Central and check out those synths and see what I think.

Not much where I live, I have to travel an hour to Raliegh to look.

up a bit early arent you? If I had my way, Id still be asleep.

-david

Message 19/23                 Date: 27-Jul-00  @  09:22 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

Defector Z

Link?: Link

Some people work for a living... :-)

Go to the store and try the synths. Don't trust a salesman, especially in a bigger store. Chances are he doesn't know the difference between a sampler and a smapler. :-) The guitar center dude tried to tell me the RM1X didn't have any drum kits in (I knew it had 46 because I read the brochure, unlike him) and he tried to tell me I couldn't write my own music on it. So no, don't listen to the chain store sales people. Unless you know them from outside the store. Trust me on this one - I have no vested interest here.

If you have to travel so far (I have to travel even farther to get a decent store...), make a day of it. Take a note pad, (with notes on it already - specs and such), play and take notes. Have fun. Spend the day. Before hand, d/l the manuals from the stuff you want to try, and call ahead to make sure they have the instruments on display. No sense driving all the way there to play an RM1X when they don't have one on the floor to play with.

But before you do that, download the manuals, and if you need to, bring a section with you. And don't listen to the sales people. Chances are, they don't know what they are talking about.

Message 20/23                 Date: 27-Jul-00  @  09:36 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

ddeshetler

sounds like a plan. and yes, sadly...working is something we must do. *s* but getting up at 5 am every morning is beginning to wear on my nerves. ugh! I need sleep!

I will do that, maybe this weekend. to bad some one like you doesnt live around here, could go and help me with picking out the right thing, and discouragin the wrong.

well...Ill get to downloading...kinda pathetic...I have nothing to do at work but talk about life outside of it...heh, shows you how active my job is.

david.

Message 21/23                 Date: 27-Jul-00  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

Defector Z

Link?: Link

Well - if you like downloads, grab some of my tracks. Go to my website - I have a picture of my studio up so you can see what I use. Must use IE, though, as Netscape doesn't like my image links for some reason. Can't figure it out.

Message 22/23                 Date: 27-Jul-00  @  10:25 AM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

ddeshetler

will do.

david

Message 23/23                 Date: 27-Jul-00  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: help for a hobbyist

0/d

Link?:  Link

I'd say get a copy of rebirth,My little brothers been getting into making his own music recently,and he knows nothing about it.I wouldn't let him screw around with my set up,so We bought a copy of rebirth about 3 months ago for the new PC and now he's banging out tunes.Its a great introduction into all the basics(except sampling),it gets you into beat programming,sequencing,synth programming(and the basic terms),filters,effects etc etc.Its an excellent intro and all you need is a pc with speakers.

If you want to go better than this try some of the grooveboxes,don't get anything too complicated but buy something you will find usefull when you decide to expand(ie RM1x,Mc505 etc)

Viewing all 23 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum