0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: monitoring with the Mackie CR1604

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5                 Date: 05-Jul-00  @  09:55 AM   -   monitoring with the Mackie CR1604

tetsuo2

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am looking to set up my rig so that I can monitor the sound in the mixer out to the amp, but also have the same output going to the computer for recording. It seems like there is only 1 set of main outs, which I thought was odd... Most mixers have a jacks for monitors... Anyone able to setup this mixer for recording AND monitoring??

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/5                 Date: 05-Jul-00  @  04:03 PM   -   RE: monitoring with the Mackie CR1604

damballah

Link?:  Link

You've got plenty of routing available to you with that mixer, and the way you have it routed to your computer might be a source of the sound problems you were talking about in your kick drum thread. You need to check the levels/impedences in your SBLive and Mackie manuals. I suspect the Mackie's main out is at +4 dBu (pro) and the tape out is -10dBv (consumer) level. I don't have the specs here in front of me but it's something to check.

The outputs you have on your Mackie are main, tape, C-R (control room), subs and auxes. What I'd do is wire the C-R to the power amp driving the monitors. Tape out to sound card in. Sound card out to tape in. In the master section, there's a set of Control Room monitor switches -- Mains, Sub 1-2, Sub 3-4 and Tape. You should be able to go between listening to the mixer and listening to your computer's playback just by hitting those switches. Next to that is the tape return level and a button that says "Tape to Mains" or something like that. Don't hit that button while feeding your computer audio or you'll get a feedback loop going.

Message 3/5                 Date: 07-Jul-00  @  06:40 AM   -   RE: monitoring with the Mackie CR1604

k

but if you are recording stuff to the pc TO INTERGRATE INTO AN OUTBOARD HARDWARE MIX.. then bring the PC outs back into two main channels to belnd the pc sounds into the hardware mix... bringing the PC outs back to the TAPE sockets will isolate the signal so you can only hear it WITHOUT the backing outboard playing - usually that TAPE return is for a stereo matering mixdown machine to playback on

Message 4/5                 Date: 07-Jul-00  @  08:55 AM   -   RE: monitoring with the Mackie CR1604

d...

yep

Message 5/5                 Date: 07-Jul-00  @  09:22 AM   -   RE: monitoring with the Mackie CR1604

d...

or you could use that "tape to mains" button, but that gives you no eq or fx sends, but you're probably doing that stuff in the computer. the trick here if feeding your monitors from the control room jacks (studio mixer) instead on the main outs (live mixer).

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum