0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Computer Music Production

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10                 Date: 04-Jul-00  @  05:30 AM   -   Computer Music Production

jhemminds

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi. I am trying to produce music with Cakewalk 9, synths, drum-machines...all going into a Delta 1010 soundcard, and out to my PS6 monitors. What I'd like is to get very good mixing control in realtime. I'd like the final output to be clean, flat, and noiseless.
I've heard of CoolEdit Pro, but I'm not sure this is the solution for me. I've heard that computer mixing/mastering causes a big loss in sound-quality, because of it's digital processing. Could someone with computer-recording experience help me out?
Thanks.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/10                 Date: 05-Jul-00  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: Computer Music Production

gs

Is that Cakewalk Pro Audio or is there a MIDI only version? I assume your synths & drum machines go into a mixer, and the mixer outs are connected to the line in of your soundcard? Just get the mix right using your mixer and record it onto a audio track in CW, just make sure it doesn't clip. Done, easy. The quality should be good if the soundcard is half decent.

Message 3/10                 Date: 07-Jul-00  @  06:42 AM   -   RE: Computer Music Production

k

it is true that mixing to digital removes harmonics etc that tape captures... but... to all intents and purposes, it's ok, and what most people use... The quality WILL depend on the soundcard converters and the connections between the PC and the mixer.

Message 4/10                 Date: 08-Jul-00  @  04:13 PM   -   RE: Computer Music Production

captnnrg

Link?: Link

I am a bit confused with your question... I am a producer for NuNRG Productions (check out our site) however and would like to give you some advice.

If you are looking for a "physical mixer" something to run your gear and your PC through (as yo mentioned no noise - usually refering to hardware) - then I recommend either Behringer or Mackie for a mixer. Behringer is much cheaper and the inexpensive mixers are better than the Mackies - until you get to their 8 Bus units... Those cost some cash! Tascam also has a nice 16 channel for cheap money!

If you are looking for software for your PC to create music (remixes etc). Cool Eidt is great to have for chopping audio up - But ACID by sound forge is the remixers choice in software. Get the pro version, it gives a lot more flexibility than the DJ or "simple & cheap" versions. They lack features you will want to use later. Since upgrading is a pain, get the best from the get go. You won't be sorry!

Message 5/10                 Date: 08-Jul-00  @  04:17 PM   -   RE: Computer Music Production

captnnrg

Link?: Link

Also forgot to mention - both of the programs I mentioned will sync up with Cakewalk, Cubase or just about any other sequencing software. I use and love Cubase - they have a demo if you are interested at: http://www.steinberg.net - also don't forget you will need a good midi interface. Like Mark of the Unicorns Midi Express XT (MOTU Midiexpress XT)
http://www.motu.com

Please do visit my site though and let me know what you think.

Message 6/10                 Date: 09-Jul-00  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: Computer Music Production

jhemminds

I suppose my original post was a bit unclear. I was referring to mixing with software (virtual EQ knobs, etc). I don't own a physical mixer.
I heard that using software to mix causes loss of quality, so maybe I should get a real one??
I've moved on from Cakewalk. I now use Logic Audio Platinum (thanks, K). It has lots of realtime effects to get the sound right. Once I've got that, Cool Edit is just right for final touches. So now, my question becomes: Is my newfound Logic Mixing technique garbage, or gold?

Message 7/10                 Date: 12-Jul-00  @  03:19 AM   -   RE: Computer Music Production

gs

Depends on lots on some things:

As kilo says the soundcard A/D converters will affect the quality.. I used to record stuff with an SB AWE64 with Logic. results = shit. Now I have an Audiowerk2, results = decent. I dunno what a Delta 1010 is, I assume it's a multi input soundcard if u don't have an outboard mixer?

Quality of the plugins you are using, the ones that come with Logic should be decent. You need a grunty PC tho to run the FX at highest quality in real time. If you have Platinum then that should have all the stuff u need for mixing, probly don't need to use Cool Edit at all I would think.

You can get great results with software, the thing that sucks tho is that it's a pain in the arse to tweak levels, fx parameters etc all with the bloody mouse, it can get a bit tedious, u can't adjust stuff as easily. With an outboard mixer u just reach for the knobs... instead of click this click that. I was going to do all my mixing with Logic, but I've gone right off that idea... now I'm slowly migrating to as much stuff done with hardware as possible, just bought a mixer, fx units are next. If u plan to do it all in logic get one of those MIDI mixer things, i think peavy makes a decent one...?

Message 8/10                 Date: 12-Jul-00  @  03:21 AM   -   RE: Computer Music Production

gs

hope that made some sense it was rather disjointed..

Message 9/10                 Date: 12-Jul-00  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: Computer Music Production

k

well there are always downsides... mix in a computer, you are subject to summing of frequencies and files, the bitrate, etc... everything digital does is an approximation... mix on hardware mixer, you get noise from summed channels & eq's... these are often un-noticeable artifacts tho so dont sweat it... the 1010 is getting rave reports for quality & quietness tho...

Message 10/10                 Date: 29-Jul-00  @  08:34 PM   -   RE: Computer Music Production

brenjake

Iv heard only good things about the quality of the cubase vst version 5 mixer!
Standard cubase v5 is 24bit now and everybody who uses it is raveing about the quality of the new eqs and reverb ect.
Cheers

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum