0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: live (DJ) mixers vs. multitrack recorders

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5                 Date: 06-Jun-00  @  08:36 AM   -   live (DJ) mixers vs. multitrack recorders

x

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am interested in switching from a live DJ mixer (a Pioneer DJM-300) to a digital multitrack recorder. I have two CD decks, plus synths, drum machines and now a new sampler, so the 2 channel mixer really isn't working anymore. (OK, I am doing some fairly weird sh*t when I spin, but that is not the point). But I am still new to some of the tech., so I am not sure what I am losing by not using a live mixer. I am thinking that if I have multitrack capabilites plus the EQ features and the normal channel control of a multitracker, plus a master out that leads to my monitors, I am not losing any features that I have with the mixer. I am just getting more channels to work with and the ability to record mixes more easily.

Does that make sense, or am I missing something? Any advice people have on what else I should do would be really welcome.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/5                 Date: 06-Jun-00  @  04:34 PM   -   RE: live (DJ) mixers vs. multitrack recorders

max coombe

man that's elaborate!!

most clubs only have technics 1200s so you're going to need a whole road crew if you're planning on playing out!

anyway, in answer to your question:

all multitrack mixers are different, so that's a difficult question to answer. the main thing is that on a mixer not specifically built for dj mixing (i.e a "mixing desk" as opposed to a "mixer"), you will normally not have features such as a crossfader or kill switches (although the latter are basically just eq). also the faders won't necessarily be built for the fast action you expect.

however, you can get multitrack mixers so shop around. there's no reason why you can't patch your sampler into a normal mixer with the appropriate lead, so if all you're after is more channels i would go for this option.

hope this helps.

peace  
max

Message 3/5                 Date: 06-Jun-00  @  04:34 PM   -   RE: live (DJ) mixers vs. multitrack recorders

max coombe

man that's elaborate!!

most clubs only have technics 1200s so you're going to need a whole road crew if you're planning on playing out!

anyway, in answer to your question:

all multitrack mixers are different, so that's a difficult question to answer. the main thing is that on a mixer not specifically built for dj mixing (i.e a "mixing desk" as opposed to a "mixer"), you will normally not have features such as a crossfader or kill switches (although the latter are basically just eq). also the faders won't necessarily be built for the fast action you expect.

however, you can get multitrack mixers so shop around. there's no reason why you can't patch your sampler into a normal mixer with the appropriate lead, so if all you're after is more channels i would go for this option.

hope this helps.

peace  
max

Message 4/5                 Date: 07-Jun-00  @  02:31 PM   -   RE: live (DJ) mixers vs. multitrack recorders

max coombe

one question does beg to be asked though - are you really wanting to use all your kit live while you're mixing? or are you interested in producing your own records...

if it's the last one, leave your dj set-up as it is and get a sequencer of some sort and a mixing desk - doesn't necessarily have to be digital.

sorry about asking this but people sometimes get the idea of mixing 2 bits of vinyl together and actually producing tracks confused... although the two coexist, they are two quite different disciplines...

but you probably knew that so i'll stop rambling.

peace
max

Message 5/5                 Date: 08-Jun-00  @  01:14 AM   -   RE: live (DJ) mixers vs. multitrack recorders

k

that makes esense... bring the L/R out from your DJ mixer into two channels or a pair of aux-returns on the main bigger mixer.. then you can play decks over the other kit in the mix, and send stuff to record from the decks... use the other channels fro the synths, drums etc...

the big question is what sorta multitracker.. you can go a pc with a straight 8-in / 8-out analog card.. plus and s/pdif to mix digital to a dat...

or get a disk based usnit... h/d units can run out of disk space REAL FAST!... minidisk or tape ones are easier to supply with data storage...

also.. sequencer to programme the drumbox & synth/s, sampler ??... you might as well go pc....

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum