0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: beginning DJ!

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/18                 Date: 11-May-00  @  10:44 AM   -   beginning DJ!

Pitias98

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi im just starting out trying to play and eventually make Trance music.. Im from Argentina!

any suggestions on what equipment to get to start out??

your help is appreciated!

Pete

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/18                 Date: 11-May-00  @  01:40 PM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

max coombe

Link?:  No link

it depends how basic you want to go. if you're looking for a starter package and you already have a pc get "acid" from sonic foundry (www.sonicfoundry.com) - it'll teach you the basics of audio sequencing (although not midi) and it's got possibly the best time stretching in any bit of software, so you'll still use it when you upgrade to cubase or logic. you'll also need a sample editor. check out cooledit 2000 (www.syntrillium.com) - it's cheap and it does everything you need.

if you want a midi set up, i would start off and just get a keyboard and a cheap sequencer package like cubase lite or logic av. learn them both inside out - then get a sampler, a mixing desk and upgrade your sequencer to a grown-up version. talk to a dealer then about a suitable computer/sound card set-up.

i'm only saying this because this is the order i did it in - but i must say it really pays not to get too much kit to start off with because you'll be forced to learn how to make the gear do stuff that it wasn't intended to do - and that's how you'll learn good programming and sequencing!

happy hunting...

Message 3/18                 Date: 11-May-00  @  06:18 PM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

k

good comments.... also, how much you got to spend?.. get a pc?.. whats it's power?... got any gear at all already?... more data please

Message 4/18                 Date: 11-May-00  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

Pitias98

Sorry i didnt provide enough data...

I was actually talking about getting started with turntables, and mixing like that...

PC wise Ive been experimenting with Mixman Technoloies...
I bought the Mixman Studio Pro which was a very easy program to use...

but i was interested in getting into live performances and such...

Thanks for your replys!!

Pete

Message 5/18                 Date: 18-May-00  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

joyboy

Pete, If your serious, start off with the best. Don't worry, you'll learn if you have the best. Technics 1200 MKIII-D and the Pioneer Djm 500. I know its expensive, but you'll be spinning out gigs in one year of purchase. peace

Message 6/18                 Date: 18-May-00  @  11:29 PM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

Pitias98

Are you sure i should start of with the best.. I mean im a complete beginner with the mixing, and all...
I mean shouldnt i get something to start off with... or am i just wasiting money by getting cheap stuff....

thanks for your help!!

Pete

Message 7/18                 Date: 19-May-00  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

r-tek

mate, I started with shitty soundlab dex and mixer and it was the biggest mistake I ever made, Technics make a big difference. Dont bother with Mk3s though (they aint even out in the UK yet) or with a Pioneer mixer - just get some 2nd hand mk2s (they last 4ever) and summing like a gemini mixer - thats all u need, Mk3s would b nicer (mk4s out in Japan now) but as long as u can live with the pitch being a bit suspect around the +1/-1 mark you`ll b fine.

Message 8/18                 Date: 13-Jun-00  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

jondennis101

Link?:  Link

Errrr, everyone here is wrong. Don't make the kid go out and get Technics. Only a very few percentage of wanna-b-dj's will actually go on and make money from it. Yes if you want some nice furniture go out and get Technics - but it's like someone buying their first production kit, you don't go straight out and get a Akai S5000 and an equally priced synth.

It's fact that you only notice difference between Shit-dex and Technics when you are in clubs using Technics and at home playing on Soundlabs. Technics are pro-tools not kids tools

Laterz

Message 9/18                 Date: 15-Jun-00  @  03:38 AM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

Pongoid

Sorry dude, but I gotta agree on learning on Technics. You have to, or you'll just be wasting time trying to develop platter control techniques that work on other decks, that just don't apply to 1200's which are what you'll find in almost any party or club. 2nd hand 1200's and a scratchmaster will get you going. Learning the fundamentals of beatmatching, and timing are the first order. Later, work on learning the breaks and dynamics of the tracks, and then you get the big mixer with all of the eq toys, cuts, fx, whatever.

If you're in Argentina, you should see if you can track down a Urei 1620 mixer. Search the clubs and se if any of them are upgrading their systems. Old clubs are the best to find this piece, especially in smaller, more isolated countries. That mixer is a piece of gold, and you can sell it in the States or Europe for BIG bucks. It doesn't look real flashy by today's standards. No crossfader, just knobs, but it's one of the best sounding mixers ever made. A bit of a pro tool, but possibly a good money maker for you. Good luck.

Ape

Message 10/18                 Date: 25-Jun-00  @  01:40 AM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

H

I LEARNED ON A GEMINI MIXER I BOUGHT USED FOR $7 AND 2 DIFFERENT TURNTABLES WITH NO PITCH CONTROL. IF YOU WANT SOMETHING BAD ENOUGH YOULL LEARN ON ANYTHING.....

Message 11/18                 Date: 25-Jun-00  @  06:49 PM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

r-tek

Technics   If you`re half serious about it, you`ll end up with Technics at some point anyway so you`ll have ended up paying even more if u start with shite dex. Besides which, Technics hold their value absolutely solid 2nd hand - if u buy some now 2nd hand, in two years if u decide 2 sell them on, I can *guarantee* you`ll get every penny back u paid - no reservations. The same can`t b said 4 any of these "amateur" pieces.

Message 12/18                 Date: 27-Jun-00  @  11:39 PM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

influx

I cant fucking believe that cat said "buy the best, youll make money in a year"!!!!

were you fucking kidding? If not..what an insult to DJs.

but..this kid...Pitias98...you talking about production or spinnin?

you wanna write your own tracks or play others? Theres a difference. DJing often leads to production (how could one NOT have ideas after hearin all that muzak?) but you dont HAVE TO DJ first...

Message 13/18                 Date: 28-Jun-00  @  07:32 AM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

eubak

i think if you can afford and make the investment. go 1200s! for mixers, go low-end for awile...or if ur loaded, get a damn pioneer. why not, but just dont't wear out the stupid flange on it. . .too much!

Message 14/18                 Date: 01-Jul-00  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

Hank Dank

I didn't learn on no $7 gemini I don't even dj you stupid fuck.

Message 15/18                 Date: 12-Jul-00  @  10:00 PM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

jojo the dog faced boy

i can deal with what this guy's going through...
i started on mixman pro and wanted up ....

do you wanna produce or dj ?

dj) i recomend 2nd technics, can't beat em. Anything else is really not an option for you, unless you can't find any 'nics or feel that you cant afford them now , but will later. Mixer ....
i suggest you dont go the radio shack mixer for beginers. regrets all arround. buy a dogdy but name brand (numark,etc) 2nd hand mixer where the faders are a little skewiff and shite, and it hums yet still works.
Buy it, practice up get good , then repair at lesuire
My friend did this and he got a pretty decent deal out of it

Produce) for beginers ... get all the software you can find, freeware shareware or crackware. Learn .... sequence everything in mixman. i still do
then get some hardware. great quality hardware cheap? if you want instat gratification with something that you wl use the rest of your life to some extent (despite the fact that this statement is a oxymoron) i suggest either new mc 307 (Roland)or 2nd hand Cs2x (Yamaha) or a djx (Yamaha) if you can find one.
then the rest is up to you

hope it helps and i state that it may not be the best way of high quality gear but i certainly recomend it due to the learning curve

Message 16/18                 Date: 26-Jul-00  @  05:33 AM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

ukslice

YOUR ALL WRONG.

Pete, go back to college, learn accounting and make an absolute fortune, all you need to buy is a pencil and Microsoft haven't found a way of ferking up the double entry system yet.

Message 17/18                 Date: 30-Jul-00  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

adams04

Um,i want to add a dj console to my vst set-up.
I got a Folio Notepad now,but i need to record those cool dj tricks along with my stuff.
Don,t suppose i can do this in Midi,so ok,i,ll do it on the Wavs, record the DJ console EQ Grab switch etc etc as i record into vst.
Will this work?
I have an XP30 and a sampler on the soundcard,so i,m also getting a Nova and i have a DBX for vocals.
Need 12 channels .
Could i use either the DJ or the Folio as a sub ,or would that be unecessary?
Has anyone tried this?
I tried imagining the cabling,but i got lost.
Also,i looked at a Roland DJ2000,but its too pricey,but it had enough rca,s to connect everything,plus a lot of phono,sampler stuff i could use later on my cd,s( or vinyl.)
So,i have started checking,but i would really appreciate some advice.

Thanx Guruzoo.

Message 18/18                 Date: 31-Jul-00  @  11:22 AM   -   RE: beginning DJ!

Defector Z

Okay - let me say first up, I have nothing of value to add this conversation.

That said...

I find it really amusing that alot of you are saying "get the best". If this guy goes out and buys the technics, or what-not, and comes back in 3 months and says..."I have the technics blah blah, how do I do (fill space with dj lingo)?"...you'd all be yelling - "you spent how much and don't know anything?" RTFM!! I am amused. Sorry.

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum