0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Behringer Mixer a piece of garbage??

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 03-May-00  @  10:54 PM   -   Behringer Mixer a piece of garbage??

tetsuo2

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i am an idiot   Disregard the OTHER discussion is started wit my email as the topic and topic as email  

Hi, I have the behringer 1602A eurorack mixer, and it if i record with the main volume level at over -15db, the sound is clipped in cubase's recording. What exactly could the problem be?? all my knobs are in their neutral position and the channel vol sliders are at 0.

Is this what is referred to as headroom? And does behringer have bad headroom?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 04-May-00  @  06:21 AM   -   RE: Behringer Mixer a piece of garbage??

Jasper

The headroom is how mutch available room you have after the gain controls are at unity (optimum levels). Basically a cheap mixer won't have as mutch as a pro one, but it aint that bad.

Remember that the level vu's are averaging out to get results, fast transient peaks aren't shown that mutch and they can cause clipping.

It's a case of suck it and see, keep reducing the input level (on the sound card) until you get an unclipped signal, bear in mind that the actual percieved volume without using a compressor before recording to digital will be quite low, however once in the computer you can use a compressor plugin to raise it up to a more convential volume.

erm, you need a decent sound card for best results, I use a mx1602 and a crapole gold card, my line noise is terrible, way above releasable levels anyway.

erm, I think that's all correct...

Message 3/7                 Date: 04-May-00  @  06:38 AM   -   RE: Behringer Mixer a piece of garbage??

tetsuo2

The VUs on the mixer are no where near peaking, not even half way. Yet when it is recorded, cubase's vus are off the charts. This occurs no matter what my line-in volume setting is.

Message 4/7                 Date: 04-May-00  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: Behringer Mixer a piece of garbage??

k

that is the soundcard input level... what you need to do is run a 1k test tone thru the mixer set the channel gain to unity (0) set the master OUT to unity and then trim the input level on the card until it is reading 0 in cubase - if the card doesnt have s/w driver mixer app, then use the windoze multi-media mixer.. that might work...

'unity' gain by the way is the level at which the fader/pot is neither boosting or cutting the signal.

Message 5/7                 Date: 09-May-00  @  07:47 AM   -   RE: Behringer Mixer a piece of garbage??

Jasper

oops, cheers k, I suspected my theory was kapput.

Message 6/7                 Date: 09-May-00  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: Behringer Mixer a piece of garbage??

tetsuo2

yes cheers k, u were 100% right I had to turn down the RED redord level in the SBLive mixer down to 30% (!)

Message 7/7                 Date: 18-May-00  @  07:15 PM   -   RE: Behringer Mixer a piece of garbage??

ion

Well, I've found on my MX-802 that the VU Meter only goes to -4 (just below where it starts to go yellow) to get a desirable output level. Anything above this can cause clipping.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum