0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: N

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 27-Apr-00  @  09:54 AM   -   N

Analogue or digital

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I kinda asked this on another forum so sorry if u read it twice.

I am thinking of getting a new mixer. My current one is very small and has very limited FX send, EQ and just about everything else really.

The Yamaha 01V looks pretty sexy and looks like it would rock connected to VST with a digital audio card.

Trouble is, it is hard to spot any potential shortcomings due to the way they describe digital produces (eg someone here mentioned not being able to group for dynamics...)

What is the better/most future-proof/economical solution for that kind of money. An 01V or a Mackie with some FX?.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 27-Apr-00  @  09:55 AM   -   Neil

Analogue or digital

I am thinking of getting a new mixer. My current one is very small and has very limited FX send, EQ and just about everything else really.

The Yamaha 01V looks pretty sexy and looks like it would rock connected to VST with a digital audio card.

Trouble is, it is hard to spot any potential shortcomings due to the way they describe digital produces (eg someone here mentioned not being able to group for dynamics...)

What is the better/most future-proof/economical solution for that kind of money. An 01V or a Mackie with some FX?.

Message 3/6                 Date: 27-Apr-00  @  09:55 AM   -   N

Analogue or digital

Message 4/6                 Date: 27-Apr-00  @  09:55 AM   -   Neil

Analogue or digital

Message 5/6                 Date: 29-Apr-00  @  02:54 AM   -   RE: N

k

i dont think you can talk about future-proof and mixers in the same sentence, unless specifically you're talking digital protocol.. in that respect, adat connection would seem to be the way to go... but for the rest?... nope... a good eq circuit is a good eq circuit, and lo-noise design is lo noise design... hence alot of the best rated mixer are old.... as for digital V analog, i suppose it depends how you work... for remixing, perhaps digital is best cos remixing generally is about constructing a carefully managed arrangement mebbe... personally i prefer analog cos it allows you to work VERY fast, quickly moving from channel to channel in say a 6 or 8 channel drum mix, making a slight tweak here, and then a cimplimentary tweak there ... with most lower costing digital desks, it's a case of the difference btween a digital synth with screen & menu's, versus an analog with dedicated knobs you can amnipulate at the same time, and work on interactions bewteen parameters... with a dig mixer, it's select/ select/ tweak.. reselect/select tweak.. etc etc... the interaction is slow and much harder to flow with

Message 6/6                 Date: 02-May-00  @  07:24 AM   -   RE: N

Neil

Thanks Kilo

Are there some makes to go for?

For instance, is the Mackie 1604 worth looking at?

How much would I need to pay for a decent 2nd hand mixer suitabel for 3 synths and a multi output sampler ~(like and EMU with turbo)

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum