0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: help: cool edit 2000 compression tips needed.

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3                 Date: 06-Apr-00  @  06:47 PM   -   help: cool edit 2000 compression tips needed.

taco6

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey... I'm new to software compression... I'm making hip-hop beats (with rhymes/vocals) on my computer and want to use the compression on cool edit 2000 for mastering. I've been using the 2:1 but it doesn't seem to do much, but the others (3:1, 4:1) seem to do too much... what am I missing here? should I use 3:1 and then normalize? basically I want to use this to make my wav files louder to burn to CD-R... any helpful hints out there? thanks.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/3                 Date: 07-Apr-00  @  10:43 AM   -   RE: help: cool edit 2000 compression tips needed.

max coombe

you should normalize or apply gain after compression because it makes the overall signal quieter.

it's hard to say what level of compression you will need without knowing how spiky the audio is. see what sounds good. remember that cool edit 2000 gives you a lot of control over compression paramaters - you don't have to use the presets. play around and see what sounds good - for overall mastering, I would suggest not going overboard, unless you're after a particularly "springy" sound (that tight r&b sound is heavily compressed for example).

use the analisys function (not sure exactly what it's called - i'm not in the studio so i can't check it now) over a section of audio to check the dynamic range - it'll give you the highest and lowest db of the selection. you can get an idea of how heavily to push the compression, but ultimately your ears will be the best judge.

Message 3/3                 Date: 07-Apr-00  @  05:32 PM   -   RE: help: cool edit 2000 compression tips needed.

taco6

Hey Max... thanks...good info.

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum