0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: grouping drum trax, compression and reverb

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 10-Mar-00  @  02:22 PM   -   grouping drum trax, compression and reverb

yinzer

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hey all.... I'm starting to mix a d&b track.

I was recently told that I could save processor power by grouping all(!) my drum trax together and compressing the whole lot together, instead of compressing each track. (I use cubase)

I was hoping someone could comment on this approach, whether it's a good one or not, and what the compressor settings might be for doing that. I'm mixing for the dancefloor.

also, what about reverb on the individual tracks, and the group track.
is a room setting a good place to start?

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

yinzer

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 12-Mar-00  @  01:44 PM   -   RE: grouping drum trax, compression and reverb

istyle

i dunno cubase but about compressing drumtrack you should do to snare and bass not hat and other metalpercussion

Message 3/7                 Date: 12-Mar-00  @  02:58 PM   -   RE: grouping drum trax, compression and reverb

Purple Haze

Yes, it would cut down on processor time, but if possible I'll always compress the different drums individually (if needed). I also put reverb on the drumsounds individually, and yes, room reverb is a good place to start (also check out plate if available).

Message 4/7                 Date: 12-Mar-00  @  05:41 PM   -   RE: grouping drum trax, compression and reverb

R-Tek

I like gated reverbs on me snares and kicks, dunno why, guess it feels less intrusive than more obvious efx. And yeah, ideally seperate compression on the kick and snare.

Message 5/7                 Date: 13-Mar-00  @  01:28 AM   -   RE: grouping drum trax, compression and reverb

damballah

Link?:  Link

There is a trick where you send your drums to both L&R and a pair of busses, send the busses through compression and return that into a pair of channels sent L&R. Fattens up the whole thing. Otherwise, like the guys said, kick & snare separate.

Start with your threshold a 0, ratio around 4:1, your attack fast enough to catch most of the hit but not so fast as let the snap through, and a fast release (release is related to the rhythm -- go too long and it's still compressing when the next beat comes). Lower the threshold until it starts squishing the drum a bit. From there, tweak your settings comparing to the original: Lowering the threshold and increasing the ratio both increase the amount of gain reduction but in different ways. Experiment and you'll get it. And stick your eq after the compression, otherwise it'll fight you.

Try a variety of fx to find what works. Sometimes a hall or a plate works too. Occasionally I like to throw in a short delay with a load of feedback. I don't do d&b, though, so your mileage will vary. Remember, darker and more heavily effected sounds tend to sound more distant, so be careful with the 'verb.

Hey, R-Tek, are you a closet Phil Collins fan? Or are gated reverbs on drums making a comeback?

Message 6/7                 Date: 13-Mar-00  @  10:53 AM   -   RE: grouping drum trax, compression and reverb

R-Tek

LOL..errrr....no. I just like very short gated reverbs - go shoot me.

Message 7/7                 Date: 13-Mar-00  @  12:06 PM   -   RE: grouping drum trax, compression and reverb

forze_

Hmm, adding fx on groups r nice, but u might not get too satisfied with the result. Try putting fx on each individual track and create a mixdown instead. this'll save u alot of cpu power.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum