0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Spirit Mixers

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9                 Date: 07-Jan-00  @  04:32 PM   -   Spirit Mixers

mikec

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

A recent posting mentioned Spirit mixers.

I was wondering...

Does anybody actually use one and like it?

Everyone I've used (about 3 of them, can't remember which ones) has been a pile of steaming turd - comparitively noisy, terribly cheap and nasty controls, and lacking in headroom - and yet magazines seem to reap rewards on them all the time.

Why?

Any comments?

MikeC

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/9                 Date: 09-Jan-00  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: Spirit Mixers

k

Link?:  No link

well the bigger ones afe fine - perhaps the cheaper ones just cash in on the name but dont have the quality ?... i beleive my mate went thru 3 of the cheaper SPIRIT rack mixers before getting a good one, and the mutes pop etc - but my other mate has the STUDIO 24/8, and it is cool...

Message 3/9                 Date: 09-Jan-00  @  10:43 AM   -   RE: Spirit Mixers

k

further for newbies, it's always preferable to get a well looked after older s/h mixer with higher-end robust build quality as opposed to a brand new cheaper flimsy one.. just make sure the pots are all ok, and faders... you can service it up with a plug-socket burnishing tool (a few quid), and some switch cleaner like Phospro or RS switchcleaner/lubricant etc (another couple of quid)....also if it's got those vertical top mounted sockets, get some new plugs (unwired,fresh out of the packet) and fill in the sockets to keep dust out of the un-used ones until you need 'em... you can stuff a little ball of screwed up tissue-paper into the plug screw-casing to stop dust getting in the open top of the plug, cos it'll be open with no wire attatched)... just squirt some lub' onto the plug tip and jack it in to protect the socket innards until needed.. etc

Message 4/9                 Date: 09-Jan-00  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: Spirit Mixers

Ba

I had a Folio SX once, the mutes did have a slight pop to them and the controls were flimsy. But the darndest thing was the lack of a power switch..WTF???? You just plug in the power lead from the transformer and the thing pops on like a mother...the only way to turn it on 'safely' is to keep the thing plugged in and turn it on at the wall....bastards.

Message 5/9                 Date: 10-Jan-00  @  09:49 AM   -   RE: Spirit Mixers

lianne-m

Hiya,

a bit of advice required (quickly if poss...) - a close friend who works in the audio biz has offered me an unused Spirit Studio 24 desk, immaculate condition for £200...

What price are these things going for normally and is this a good deal?

Thanks (in advance)

Lia
xxxx

Message 6/9                 Date: 10-Jan-00  @  10:33 AM   -   RE: Spirit Mixers

lianne-m

Hi -

Okay, a slight source of confusion now, I've now been told that it might not be a SPIRIT STUDIO 24, but possibly a SPIRIT LIVE 3/2, 4/2 or even a SPIRIT 2400

My friend tells me that its at least 3-4years old,unused and originally cost the company around £4000

HELP!

Lia
xxxxx

Message 7/9                 Date: 12-Jan-00  @  09:03 AM   -   RE: Spirit Mixers

k

get it, 200 is looney toones price for a real mixer

Message 8/9                 Date: 13-Jan-00  @  04:47 AM   -   RE: Spirit Mixers

lianne-m

K.

Finally found out what it is..

Its a Soundcraft Delta AVE 24track - (more suited to A/V Post prod., so it might not have any serious kind of Mic provision) - do you still think I should get it for music prod????

Help!

Lia
xxxx

Message 9/9                 Date: 13-Jan-00  @  08:08 PM   -   RE: Spirit Mixers

k

gimme more spec's please - channels, eq, aux config, master i/o config, any sub's or other routing options, etc... you could add something like a JoeMeek pre-mic amp for prestine mic-ing, that'll be better than most mixer pre's in your budget -

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum