0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13                 Date: 28-Dec-99  @  09:51 AM   -   How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

nlcos409

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

For me making music is a hobby so I have no mixing/FX knowledge. Everything I produce on my JOMOX Xbase drummachine, MC303, TX81Z, Behringer MX1602 mixer, 2 Nanoverbs and 1 Nanocompressor sounds flat, thin and weak compared to the music I hear on records. How do I make what I produce live on my equipment sound phat, thumping, full without too much additional costs? Please help me !!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/13                 Date: 28-Dec-99  @  01:18 PM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

mikec

Link?: Link

That's a very general question with no specific answer.

You need lots of time, lots of experimentation.

Or buy a TC Finalizer.  

Check the Dancetech Articles for basic tips.

EQ and sound selection are very important. Compression is highly useful too. You should be able to get a decent sound out of what you have. It will take you time to learn though.

MikeC

Message 3/13                 Date: 28-Dec-99  @  02:31 PM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

R-Tek

Yeah, the stuff that comes out on vinyl has been mastered, remember. And maybe a better compressor would help, as well. That nu Joe Meek comp/channel strip looks well tasty.

Message 4/13                 Date: 29-Dec-99  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

k

are you listening to the vinyl on the same system/speakers etc as the music kit ?

Message 5/13                 Date: 30-Dec-99  @  10:45 AM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

nlcos409

Thanks everyone ! I have been studying the compressor tips on this site and the sound is improving. I managed to produce some awsome kickdrums, but this would mean I need a separate compressor for every single sound and one for the total mix. Is this right ? 'K', I do use the same amplifier for making music and listening to it so it should sound the same (more or less)

Message 6/13                 Date: 30-Dec-99  @  02:48 PM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

mikec

A compressor on every instrument and for the final mix is ideal.  

Don't forget that a kick drum (for example) is a single one shot sound that is usually the same throughout the song. In this case, you can just re-sample the compressed sound and free up your compresssor.

MikeC

Message 7/13                 Date: 05-Jan-00  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

Ellipsis

a good cheap e.q. can do wonders...

Message 8/13                 Date: 06-Jan-00  @  06:02 AM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

nlcos409

Can you buy EQ as a seperate unit ? If so, any suggestions, brands etc ?

Message 9/13                 Date: 07-Jan-00  @  04:46 PM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

mikec

I used to have an Alesis MEQ-230 which was good. It's a graphic EQ though, and not parametric which makes editing a little more difficult. Once you get the right setting though, you can pretty much leave it as it is to affect the whole mix. I managed to get a good enhanced sound out of it by fiddling for a few hours.

Go to the Sound On Sound site and do a search for Parametric EQ. You'll find lots of articles/reviews there.

MikeC

Message 10/13                 Date: 08-Jan-00  @  06:37 AM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

nlcos409

thanks MikeC, you're the best !

Message 11/13                 Date: 16-Jan-00  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Y'know....I use almost no compresion at all, with the exception of maybe a bit of tube compression on my kicks, when I have the time and energy. One of the keys is listening to your stuff on a system then handles the freq's your throwing. that xbass and mixer are quite capable of deep sound, but trash the mc303. It's weak. get a 309 or better yet, a good sampler. All ofthis compression tends to make shit sound like overproduced/overpriced Los Angeles studio shit, with litle feel other than "here's some more of the same old product in a newer, glossier, more expensive, package, designed for higher price margins...YAY!!" Good raw sound has a quality all it's own, and honestly, I prefer. Personal taste, and it means you have to have more headroom in your system to take full advantage of the dynamics, as a sound comressed, actually uses less energy from a system to sound loud, but if it's designed to be played on a big system, with loads of power, designed to make full use of the audio spectrum, and not just geared towards weak home speakers that roll off around 80-100 hz, then why compress the shit out of every sound in your tune? On the other hand, maybe you are gearing it towards home listening, in which case, you're in for quite a bit of tweeking. Good luck, either way, and don't be afraid of tryngdifferent technique with the volume down.

Ape

Ape

Message 12/13                 Date: 17-Jan-00  @  06:19 AM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

nlcos409

Thanks Ape, I think you're right on the mc303, I never got a decent sound out of it, too bad it isn't worth half of what I paid for it. Ah well, that's life. But what in effect you're saying is that what I am producing would sound 'full' on stage with a professional amplifier and that I shouldn't take too much notice of how it sounds on my cheap home amp ?

Message 13/13                 Date: 21-Jan-00  @  12:30 AM   -   RE: How to make live gear to sound like vinyl ?

Ellipsis

Link?:  Link

HA!
if only life were that sweet...btw 'k' is short for kilo..the dancegod that runs this site...all bow before the great k...anyway...(my nose brown enough?)...if the sounds you use are crap, then it will sound crappy..i say investin a good, 50 dollar (ur in the us?) pair of studio headphones...they give a damn accurate feeling of how the mix is going to sound...

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum