0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: cheap mixing and recording gear

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2                 Date: 08-Dec-99  @  11:24 AM   -   cheap mixing and recording gear

pulaski

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

my basic issue is this: i am a beginner and want an entry level mixing and recording setup. i don't want to spend more than about $800. i know i will grow out of it eventually but i just want something to get me started, a means to make fairly decent sounding mixes and then record them onto a decent quality master. is there any way to do this within my price range?

thus far my thoughts are to get an older 14 channel mixer and then, for now, mix it into a decent home stereo tape recorder live. this would do for the meantime until i saved for a harddisk recorder or some other multitrack recorder. or i could get an all in one mixer/hard disk recorder like the fostex fd8 which would require multitracking because of limited concurrent channels. i guess that wouldn't be too bad. not planning on doing live gig any time soon. and it would give me both mixing recording. any thoughts on a fairly cheap setup to get me up and mixing, if not recording as well, for a measly $800. thanks.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/2                 Date: 09-Dec-99  @  06:41 AM   -   RE: cheap mixing and recording gear

Jasper

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

for dance music you don't really need a multitrack, love em or hate em the behringer mixers are cheap for what you get.. according to some they are noisy which is utter bullshit.. you'll get far more noise from a midiverb which is generally regarded as pretty quiet (these people are lapping up mackies latest advertising blurb by the way)

an behringer MX1602 can be bought in the uk for 180 new, that leaves 380 for the other stuff, my advice is to buy a good (three head) quality tape deck.. save your pennies for other things and get the digital mastering sorted when your happy with the quality of your mixes.. I had a dat recorder sitting around for 2 years doing nothing while my mixing techniques improved.. I wish I'd spent my cash differently at the time. If you really desparately need to master to a dat then hire or borrow one.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum