0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Compression/ HipHop

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3                 Date: 06-Dec-99  @  06:21 PM   -   Compression/ HipHop

droctii

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am currently working on a project and need some info on the types of FX used in hiphop mixes.

particularly some specific ratios on compression, reverb, etc. so that I can at least have a template to work from.

I appreciate that it is a subjective process, but at the same time I'm hoping for some good numbers, ideas to start with.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/3                 Date: 13-Dec-99  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: Compression/ HipHop

ology

Link?:  Link

Hello, I do alot of work with Hip Hop artists and generally its all about keep ing that lo-fi edge to the music these days. What I mean is generally hip hop artists like theyre samples 12 bit and grainy and theres kix and snare quite "tight". you can achieve this by using a sampler with selectablesampling rates such as ESI32 or older AKAI's. MPC 60II something like that what occurs often is that you can compress your low freq's samples BEFORE you sample them. Example: bass snds, anything with low end you might want to run to a cassette first , record it and then bounce through a compressor then sample it sounds great! after you tune it down a bit. For nice tight drum samples trim up the end of your samples to be very short "blips" of snares. Compresing snares before you sample it is very popular. the more you comress the "tighter" you mix is. genneraly a -10, -20 thresh. 5:1 ratio will do it. experiment! its only music.

Message 3/3                 Date: 13-Dec-99  @  04:37 PM   -   RE: Compression/ HipHop

k

Link?:  No link

there is a list of compression setting starter points for differtent jobs in the compressor page in the FX-RACK section - get there via the top-left 'Dancetech Selektor' drop-down list

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum