0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Seperating KICK/BASSLINES in Hip Hop music

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3                 Date: 08-Nov-99  @  01:58 PM   -   Seperating KICK/BASSLINES in Hip Hop music

breakb

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

My Problem is the following:

I usually layer a natural Kick drum with an 808 for that "BOOM"
That sounds pretty phat,but i think together with basslines
it sounds too muddy.

In what frequency range should I place those wall-shattering
sub-basses? Any recommendations on how to seperate
Kick and Bass ?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/3                 Date: 08-Nov-99  @  05:36 PM   -   RE: Seperating KICK/BASSLINES in Hip Hop music

R-Tek

If you`re using Subbass I doubt u can really afford 2 lose any of it, so instead, try rolling off a little bit of bass from the kik which usually helps. Its a bit of a problem I have with hip hop as well because of the compressed beats it tends to clutter the mix up.

Message 3/3                 Date: 21-Nov-99  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: Seperating KICK/BASSLINES in Hip Hop music

k

yup, rolling off bass on the kik for sure - go for a mid thump, and let the actual bassline bass create the sub-bass attack of the kik/bass combi - try this -

get a pair of gates, send the kik drum to the RTIGGER input of the say L gate

send the BASS to the gate with the the assigned trigger

now the bassline only comes EXACTLY when the kik-drum 'kik's' - this helps to titen up the start makes it more punchy - and invest in a BBE 322 - THUMP!!! - but obviously works only where a bassline follows a kik drum pattern, but it creates huge booming sub-bass kiks tho -

also try splitting & sending the hats hard L/R to open out the track center - t this also works ESP well with BV's in RnB hip-hop - thin the vocals group, and pan L/r with some Bv sent to a delay... a VERY short delay, ... pan the delay return of the BV mix Left... & the original BV channels Right or vica-versa.... then tweak the delay to produce medium mod-depth, and low rate of modulation - to get a smooth across the speakers cutting BV fine-chorus sound

also try compress the lot in stereo, and also duck the stereo BV's with a fast-ISH attack just a FRACTION with the main vox as the trigger... Use that where the vox cuts across BV's alot... as it does, the BV's reduce a fraction, and not all at once - over say 100ms (or try it immeadiate, but duck it only a slightest fraction for realism, more for fx...

you can also try a graphic or notch filter to take out the sub-bass at the freekwency where the kik stops - to me a kik THUMPS me in the guts, but not in the balls, the bass is the one that smacks me in the nuts - that explains it to me best in terms of where each one sits

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum