0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/17                 Date: 02-Nov-99  @  11:43 AM   -   Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

Gee

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

What is the best approach to affecting a massive bassdrum/kick, with reverb ?
Orientation to hard house/techno. Is a high price efx proccessor also a major factor ??? Pleeeeeeease, any idea`s.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/17                 Date: 03-Nov-99  @  07:39 AM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

will

Reverb on a hard house bassdrum is a no-no. Steer clear. Go for compession and EQ. Remember that the fat sound you hear in clubs all the time is comming out of a huge system. you will never be able to get that in you studio. Definately stick to TR-909 unless its funky house or garage.

Message 3/17                 Date: 03-Nov-99  @  11:15 AM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

Gee

Thank-you !

Message 4/17                 Date: 26-Nov-99  @  10:52 AM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

dsounds

Keep the bass kick clear and dynamic in all house music cases.

Message 5/17                 Date: 26-Nov-99  @  07:39 PM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

John

Link?: Link

Oh come on.... I can't believe what I'm reading here. I've heard a lot of house tracks with reverb on a kick. To say that one should never do that is outrageous.

Gee, do what sounds good to you, and if adding a ton of reverb on a kick drum sounds good to you, then do it. In fact, it's a great effect to use when you transition to a quieter part.

Message 6/17                 Date: 27-Nov-99  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

R-Tek

..surely the 909`s been done to death now? There must b plenty of other great drumboxes out there that sound A BIT DIFFERENT. Sorry, but its been used 4 well over 10 years now and its time 2 put the 909 into semi-retirement..........admittedly, its a great sounding box, but it aint the be all and end all....

Message 7/17                 Date: 28-Nov-99  @  09:37 AM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

k

sure you can use reverb, i do all the time... thing is, reverb on kiks tends to be muddy and cause the thing to lose definition if you're not careful- just do it like this - send some kik to the reverb from the AUX-send, and send it from the channel to the reverb THRU an eq unit, and roll-off the kiks bottom end going TO the reverb... (or as an alternative, roll-off the bottom-end on the reverb-return channels..)

see, bass sounds are non directional, and when we hear the 'reverbed' kik drum on playback, we hear the reverb on just the top & mid of the kik, but, it gives the impression that reverb is on the whole kik, cos we only need to hear the reverb on the upper frequencies to 'fool' the brain into thinking reverb is added to the entire kik-sample....

so - reverb ?.. yes !!... but if it gets muddy, roll-off the bottom-end - works a treat !!

Message 8/17                 Date: 28-Nov-99  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

Jasper

Just add to that, keep the kick drum shortish and it's a lot easier to get a mix that sounds right. Also if you put a bit of delay on the reverb sound it gives kick a chance to come through the mix before the oomph bit of the reverb. Returning the fx unit through a mixer channel is essential I reckon for a good sound.

The alesis midiverb 4 really suits this effect in my opinion.

Message 9/17                 Date: 29-Nov-99  @  04:05 PM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

Gee

Excellent, I`m really excited as I felt that e.q and compression was not enough to get the sound that I wanted although it sounded really wicked .... k.....I`m a bit confused, ....send some kick to a E.f.x module via a aux send , got it. But what do you mean by send IT,(plug the aux via a patch into a mixer channel and via a insert throug an e.q to the efx`s unit?)or take the aux straight from the mixer aux out and plug it straight into my e.q. and then into the e.f.x. unit. Did I understand you correctly?? Thanks alot for this information. Without dancetech, it would of taken me a few years(?) longer to get the formula !!!!Out here in Israel we aspiring trackers are far apart. Well not anymore. Cheers..

Message 10/17                 Date: 29-Nov-99  @  06:28 PM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

mikec

Basically, you want to keep the original bassdrum "bassy", and remove any bass from just the reverb.

So the sound comes out of aux send, and goes into your FX unit.

Out of the FX unit comes your reverb so you plug this into either a stand-alone EQ (which then goes back into your mixer), or into a free mixer channel, where you can use the mixer's EQ to remove the low frequencies.

MikeC

Message 11/17                 Date: 29-Nov-99  @  08:00 PM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

John

And don't forget to experiment with the mid and hi frequencies too. You never know what you'll come up with.

Message 12/17                 Date: 30-Nov-99  @  08:13 AM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

Gee

Cool, getting closer to the sound, finaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly.....By the way, intresting website..I will have a look for your cd when a shopping surge comes into effect ......

Message 13/17                 Date: 30-Nov-99  @  11:21 AM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

Jasper

A gated reverb with a fast decay might be more the sort of thing your after thinking about it.

Also, sample the reverb and reverse it so that the end of the sample plays just on the off-beat.

Message 14/17                 Date: 01-Dec-99  @  11:10 AM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

Gee

I`m using the a ART progate-8, the sound is comprimised, alot of the juice from the tube pre-amp is attenuated, are all gates comprimising the sound, or do I just need to buy a better gate?

Message 15/17                 Date: 01-Dec-99  @  02:18 PM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

k

how so ?... compromised

Message 16/17                 Date: 02-Dec-99  @  09:34 AM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

Jasper

would'nt have thought a gate would compromise the sound, maybe a limiter or a compressor would. but a gate just shuts off, unless your driving it quite heavily.

The midiverb4 has a gate tacked onto the end of most of the reverbs, so buying a whole separate new gate seems a bit extravagant when you can have fx also for 180 quids.

Message 17/17                 Date: 02-Dec-99  @  03:27 PM   -   RE: Reverb on thundering bass drum ???

Gee

Comprimised meaning that a hard driven signal(dry bass/kick) o/p from the gate is lower in dynamics, than on the i/p to the gate. I reckon the gate I`m using is a load of shyyyt, got it second hand anyway, or just driving the signal to heavily. For good sound I think it wise to get dedicated gate`s, especially for when mastering to c.d. A`int never going to get the sensitivity of a analogue gate on the midiverb, maybe a high priced digital algorhytm can do it but thats big bucks ..

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum