0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Mastering on PC

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3                 Date: 18-Oct-99  @  06:41 PM   -   Mastering on PC

scalawag

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

what kind of software and plugins we should use to do mastering on a PC and what are the sound specifications for pressing on vinyl ?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/3                 Date: 19-Oct-99  @  03:35 PM   -   RE: Mastering on PC

roller8

Well, vinyl houses do their own mastering which, I believe, is different from audio mastering which is done for consistent playback on radio, CD and such whereas the pressing houses master to ensure accurate reproduction to the pressing. You should email that guy Chad@impressiveos.com as this is his area of expertise. I think that's his correct email address.

As for doing your own audio mastering on a PC, the tools are usually the same. Multi band compression, parametric EQ, and some reverb. What it really takes to master is a really experienced set of ears. Mastering engineers know exactly what to do to make it "broadcast" ready. I don't think they follow many rules otherwise. Don't ask a mastering engineer how to master either because most won't help you.

Message 3/3                 Date: 20-Oct-99  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: Mastering on PC

k

for vinyl, i'd give them as untreated a version as possible - meaning don't try to apply stereo compression etc - the cutting house will do that for you - just give em a good clean source dat or cd - the cd format aint too important for a vinyl as long as it'll play out, the type of the cd master is really important for cd pressing where a red book version is needed to comply with audio cd protocol...

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum