0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Kick Mixing

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5                 Date: 14-Oct-99  @  08:19 AM   -   Kick Mixing

annexsounds

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

What are some ways to beef up the kick? What are good effects to throw on? Thanks for any info.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/5                 Date: 14-Oct-99  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: Kick Mixing

k

d'you mean a sample kik or a live recorded one?... well, eq & some compression is a start... there are some other tricks

Message 3/5                 Date: 15-Oct-99  @  07:32 AM   -   RE: Kick Mixing

annexsounds

I would appreciate mixing tips for sample and live kick.

Message 4/5                 Date: 15-Oct-99  @  09:37 AM   -   RE: Kick Mixing

k

best tip i can give is that the kik drum needs to be set to a level where the track grooves, and if that level happens to be less or more than youd thought in your mind it should be then fine, cos at a certain volume in the mix it just sits right so the track grooves... that is a good tip... with sample kiks you can use gates triggered by a synth bass line for example so that the kik comes in EXACTLY when the synth line does, cos the kicks gate trigger is being opened by the bassline attack (or vica versa)... this technique makes for super-tite sync between the start time of bass&kik patterns...

Message 5/5                 Date: 25-Oct-99  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: Kick Mixing

pongoid

Link?:  Link

I'm using a tube compressor for my kicks. It's actually and old tube bass preamp, but works wonders for my kicks. Just put it into the insert on my board for that channel, set the board preamp fairly low, set the input section for a fairly low level, just a touch, and then bring up the output section to get the punch. Touch up the eq just a hair on the board, and voila-Solid KICK!! That's if you have a tube compressor. Solid state works a little differently. You reall yhave to be aware of your ratio, attack and release. I've heard all types of different settings being used, with squished punches followed by this big body that just sort of slowly emanates from the pop then stops almost dead, and I 've heard punchy little pops with very little body whatsoever. Your best bet is to get a good compressor with adjustable gain, attack, release, and ratio as well as peak or soft knee option, and just play with it til you get the hang of it.

Ape

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum