0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Set up

Viewing all 1 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/1                 Date: 13-Oct-99  @  09:15 AM   -   Set up

reidwm

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Does any one want to discuss a beginner's set up. Or maybe this will help someone who is even more ignorant than myself at this point (maybe such a person exists, anyway)
Things are moving along here, but not without various complications. At least I am learning a lot in the process. I installed Cakewalk Pro Audio 8 and a midi interface (Opcode Studio 64X) along with a new sound card (Digidesign Audiomedia III)(which does not have a midi synth on it by the way, but produces some great audio). All of this stuff I have been able to buy used on the net at very good prices.
I have spent quite a bit of time on the phone with tech support at digidesign and cakewalk trying to get configured and downloading the right drivers etc. etc. etc. Like I said, I am learning a lot--a crash course really. So far, in accordance with your suggestions, I've been able to get audio out of the PC & Cakewalk from the sound card's audio outputs into the mixer (Mackie 1402-VLZ) through channels 2& 3 and then from the main outs of the mixer to the auxillary input of the stereo (piece of junk Pioneer that combines all components in one unit--actually it's a boom box with detachable speakers). I also have the mixer's alt 3-4 outputs going to the sound card's audio inputs. But I don't think I have actually to see if the sound from the mixer actually registers in Cakewalk yet because I am still having problems downloading the right drivers for the sound card. I can see the midi signals from cakewalk firing out of my midi interface (the channel 2 output light comes on) but I haven't actually heard the midi signals yet, I guess because I don't have my synth (juno 106) yet and, like I said, the audiomedia 3 doesn't include a midi synth--it's purely audio. My old card does have a synth (the soundblaster that is on my motherboard), but it is disenabled and I am too nervous about trying to renable it to play midi until I get the Juno because I don't know if I will be able to re-enable the audiomedia III when I want to. I am assuming that the Juno 106 along with the R8 drummachine and the Akai S-950 sampler will play the midi signals from Cakewalk. I don't actually know if this is true or not--maybe I need to get a workstation type synth to play all of the midi signals at once. Further, I am confused about using the 106 as a midi controller and how this is different than a sequencer--isn't cakewalk going to be my midi controller?
As long as I am already going into detail, I have the midi in & out on the R8 the S950 running in & out of the interface. I have the audio outs from those units (along with a crappy mic for voice and acoustic guitar plus a stratocaster through a Line 6 Pod, guitar direct box) running into the mixer through various channels. Then, like I said above, sound goes from the main outs of the mixer to the auxillary input of the stereo, with the mixer's alt 3-4 outputs going to the sound card's audio inputs.
I just got the manuals for the R8 and the S-950 yesterday so I will be figuring those out pretty quickly. I have gotten some strange sounds out of the R8 but haven't really fully explored it yet. Not to mention that I will soon have the juno 106 and yet another complicated instrument to figure out. But that was the plan--jump in and take my time figuring it out. A lot of my savings are gone but I don't regret it at all. I do get a little panicked and frustrated sometimes but I have been able to keep it in check for the most part.
That's all-just thought I'd share.
Bill Reid

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Viewing all 1 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 1 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum