0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: lets loose cars

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 05-Aug-03  @  09:20 AM   -   lets loose cars

cheddar

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

how to move away from the brink

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/45                 Date: 07-Aug-03  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: lets loose cars

errata

Link?: Link

hey mick... not sure where you are, but here children under a certain age and weight can't ride in sidecars.

In fact I think it's 80 pounds now, must be in a car seat! Something obnoxiously "volvo" safe like that

cars wouldn't be such a big deal if the masses who move in the same direction at the same time were doing so together. This is sort of a better meaning of mass transit. If 50,000 people all move from one place to another during the same time period, why must they all drive there?

I enjoy driving to, guys... but I might also enjoy heroin if i tried it a few times. As i say, all's good in moderation.. but where your selfish behavior begins to damage a wide range of thigs which (at least by appearances) are seperate from you then a little personal responsibilty might be in order.

Hydrogen's good... But I think the disconnect our cars allow us is part of the greater problem of societal disinterest and a head in the sand brand of non commitance.

My mother lives in a gated community... children are only allowed to visit for 3 days... there's a grocery, a strip mall and a hospital all within the gates... and a golf course. they drive little golf carts everywhere... very clean!!! And they vote selfishly, they think selfishly, they have no concern for the greater community because they have disconnected from it.

This is a system built on the notion that we are sperate... that our actions are determined only by us because they effect only us... it's selfish, childish and completely full of shit.

And I believe cars are part of this disease. They carve neighborhoods with highways... they hide houses behind sound walls... and we take our individual selves to our individual cars and drive our individual little worlds around one another and pretend there's no responsibility beyond the individaul. And it's all broken, but we patently ignore this fact because we are taking care of ourselves and it's not our fault!

e

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/45                 Date: 07-Aug-03  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: lets loose cars

Mick

errata, well put.

Message 33/45                 Date: 07-Aug-03  @  10:56 PM   -   RE: lets loose cars

chaos

Link?:  No link

Lets loose people. In my opinion it all boils down to too many people. Squabbling about this and that is one thing, but basically if you have less people you have a bigger pie to go around. Wars are fought over land and resources allocation, then religion and ideology, which are in the end forms of government that dictate how how land and resources are used. My hunch is we are do for a superplague, not to punish humanity, because quite frankly were not that important, but to bring the earth back into equalibrium which is the natural tendency anyway. One study done on rats showed that when the population for a given size cage became to small larger and larger portions of offspring became gay. Sound familiar? If humans are too stupid to reach a consesus on how to solve these problems chaos will invariably step in and erradicate the problem without our help.

Message 34/45                 Date: 07-Aug-03  @  11:27 PM   -   RE: lets loose cars

errata

Deosn't sound very "chaotic" chaos.

Of course you're right... to a point. I'd say, we're to smart for those types of controls anymore. We ignore the "natural" barriers to overpopulation. We are aging to record ages now! Homosexuals are opting for artificial insemination, lesbians using the sperm of gay men... (which is wonderful, but it makes homosexuality a bad vehicle for population control). Hell, though it killed several of my friends and a family member AIDS failed as a plague everywhere but Africa, which is (surprisingly) probably going to be remedied in the next 10 years.

Shall we go all Logans Run and opt to die at 30 (or whatever age it was). Something tells meyou won't get many takers... besides, bright as we think we might be, real thinking and wisdom (the only things Human's do that's decent or reasonable) doesn't start until cloer to 50...

I know I know... I'm filled with problems and offer no solutions... well, I have some, but they are extreme and require COOPERATION which is very unlikely considering the fact that even people who admit there's a problem (few and far between) can't agree on it's sources.

e

Message 35/45                 Date: 07-Aug-03  @  11:37 PM   -   RE: lets loose cars

beds

lets lose people?

overpopulation - way too much of them, just enough of me.

it's not the lack of resources, it's the distribution.

Message 36/45                 Date: 07-Aug-03  @  11:46 PM   -   RE: lets loose cars

errata

"overpopulation - way too much of them, just enough of me."

excellent beds, very well said indeed.

e

Message 37/45                 Date: 07-Aug-03  @  11:56 PM   -   RE: lets loose cars

influx

no shit, chaos. why dont you off yourself then?

personally..Im here, and Im stayin. I wish people would stop having children for ONE generation...unless they can somehow assure the rest of us that they will raise them right, to have as little impact as possible

I would LOVE to only ride my bike places...or just public transit when necessary

Message 38/45                 Date: 08-Aug-03  @  12:08 AM   -   RE: lets loose cars

errata

Yeah, but Influx... aren't you in LA?

The that peronifies what I'm on about in the state that personifies... blah blah blah

That's part of my original point... In order to be a part of your society you MUST drive... that's how it's all built!

I bike or walk everywhere, because it's all close by (as i said, I live in an old midtown environment)... but in a place like LA that's extemely impracticle!

e

Message 39/45                 Date: 08-Aug-03  @  12:30 AM   -   RE: lets loose cars

influx

impractial? nearly impossible!

I dont live in LA tho...Im about 30 miles southeast, but...even where I live..its all designed to DRIVE

so all the soccer moms can have expeditions, and damn near run me over!

I have an older explorer, and am a bit ashamed to be driving it. Tough to sell though, and I cant just throw it away and buy something new.

Message 40/45                 Date: 08-Aug-03  @  12:35 AM   -   RE: lets loose cars

beds

it's not my line, unfortunately. it's that well known right-wing libertarian p.j. o'rourke. interesting old book of his "All the Trouble in the World : The Lighter Side of Overpopulation, Famine, Ecological Disaster, Ethnic Hatred, Plague, and Poverty" it's a chapter titl;e from that.

http://www.groveatlantic.com/grove/wc.dll?groveproc~genauth~568~1466~DESC

the actual quote "Just Enough of Me, Way Too Much of You"

some others if i can remember "if meat is murder, are eggs rape?" and "all guns, no butter". i don't necessarily agree with all of his conclusions but he is funny as Fuck.

here's a snippet of a review

"... far and away the best chapter is the overpopulation one where he compares that perennial favorite of the Paul Ehrlich crowd, Bangladesh, with Fremont, CA. Why Fremont? How about, because they have roughly the same population density. By the time Mr. O'Rourke is done, the very notion that population growth, in the abstract, is something that we have to be terrified of has been rendered utterly laughable (and laugh you will)."

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 45 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum