0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: human animals

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 21-Aug-03  @  10:15 AM   -   human animals

cheddar

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

so are humans just another animal or are we separate from the rest of the 'beasts'

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/38                 Date: 21-Aug-03  @  08:50 PM   -   RE: human animals

xoxos

Link?: Link

animus = spirit.. animated.. mexican people say 'animal!' to describe something done with gusto.. (i think that's it) thinking of k's speed freak/plasticine creatures story

dogs are too much like humans for good comparison.. perhaps commonality due to capacity for harm

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/38                 Date: 21-Aug-03  @  08:51 PM   -   RE: human animals

k

Link?:  No link

"Animals don't really have this, yeah if you kick a cat it thinks, "Thi shit sucks!" but it doesn't change (or even consider changing) the fundamental way in which it goes about things"

but how are humans behaving any different now compared to when they were cavepeople?

all that's changed is the technology - not their fundamental behaviour

Message 13/38                 Date: 21-Aug-03  @  09:00 PM   -   RE: human animals

milan

you homos!

Message 14/38                 Date: 21-Aug-03  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: human animals

errata

No it hasn't changed, but.. I'd say that animals do not have the capacity to recognize a need for change beyond a particular experience (back to the cat knowing it needs to dodge the foot). Humans have not changed, but many see that change is needed. That what we're doing isn't working. Of course it's a matter of opinion on that one... but just that we see a fundamental BIG PICTURE that other animals do not sets us apart.

Are we animals, YES! But I also think we are unique insofar as anything is unique (speaking relativisticaly here of course... as I hold that uniqueness in truth is a myth at all). Humans (as far as i can see) can recognize a fundamental disatisfaction with reality... not just causes and conditions, but with the very nature of the life experience.

Cat's, Horses.. that's not what I'm talking about... they display a form of conceit in that they are Self Absorbed... i"m referring to the human reaction to phenomena that sees the self as a seperate entity and evaluates itself in comparison to other seperate intities it identifies...

It's true we have no way of knowing what a cat/dog/horse is really thinking, but I do not believe (based on my understanding of their behavioral patterns) that they evaluate their behavior based on their interactions with other species... sure, they are aware of other species as being different from them, but do they ask, "Are humans animals too?" I doubt it.. I don't think they conceptualize to that extent.

DNA... hmmmm, i do not except the modern scientific convention that everything I am is based on the roadmap that determined my physical characteristics. There is "something" else that determines who/what I am, or at least plays a role... so, while an interesting point, I'm not sure I think it makes much of a difference. A child born with only 1/4 of a brain has 99.9% identical DNA with a brother born fully cognizant... yet, for purposes of this argument they are inteirely different in every appreciable way!

e

Message 15/38                 Date: 21-Aug-03  @  11:09 PM     Edit: 21-Aug-03  |  11:10 PM   -   RE: human animals

Steve Roughley

"Cat's, Horses.. that's not what I'm talking about... they display a form of conceit in that they are Self Absorbed... i"m referring to the human reaction to phenomena that sees the self as a seperate entity and evaluates itself in comparison to other seperate intities it identifies... "

Again... Do you have a cat?

No offence E, but you really are putting far too much into this. Without our complex language there would be no difference. Unless, of course, armadillos could communicate as intensely, in which case, we would be slaughtered for being a threat to the ant populations.

As K said, nothing has changed at all, save our technology. We still operate on the exact same drives and behaviours, whether they be social or personal, as we allways have, since before we were homosapiens. These drives have allways been complex beyond our understanding, but only recently has language given us the ability to confuse ourselves with the subject.

Steve.

Message 16/38                 Date: 22-Aug-03  @  12:10 AM   -   RE: human animals

errata

yeah, I do have a cat... already stated my point on that...

I can dig what you're on about. I'm not selling this idea as we're seperate from or superior to animals... but I do "believe" that we are fortunate to be humans in that we have the opportunity to go beyond that programing. I don't think animals do... on the individual level (insofar as there is one) this happens sometimes, as a species??? well there's a lot of room for growth, right?

p

Message 17/38                 Date: 22-Aug-03  @  01:58 AM   -   RE: human animals

cheddar

"... in that we are sentient." " Animals don't really have this," "Anyway, that's my serious answer,... " I think this fails cos it doesnot take into account the other patry

"do it differently " is monogamy

" ...as seperate from this natural order of the planet... " is virus

"...se of our ability to imagine" OUR

pict your organisation to make weevil from fog

"has changed . - " getting to know you..."

levers labels

"...see that change is needed" we

"...or at least plays a role" rou8nd again. architecture

cant copy quote but duplicality is a matter of where you are standin. Mining is a together action sport

"Im not selling...etc" - sorry cut an paste is furched

"we are fortunate" is a bit of a special school isnt it

"so i SAID to HIM and stoppped, i had everything right there

Message 18/38                 Date: 22-Aug-03  @  01:58 AM   -   RE: human animals

cheddar

"... in that we are sentient." " Animals don't really have this," "Anyway, that's my serious answer,... " I think this fails cos it doesnot take into account the other patry

"do it differently " is monogamy

" ...as seperate from this natural order of the planet... " is virus

"...se of our ability to imagine" OUR

pict your organisation to make weevil from fog

"has changed . - " getting to know you..."

levers labels

"...see that change is needed" we

"...or at least plays a role" rou8nd again. architecture

cant copy quote but duplicality is a matter of where you are standin. Mining is a together action sport

"Im not selling...etc" - sorry cut an paste is furched

"we are fortunate" is a bit of a special school isnt it

"so i SAID to HIM and stoppped, i had everything right there

Message 19/38                 Date: 22-Aug-03  @  02:06 AM   -   RE: human animals

Broken Silence

kermie, now this is deep

Message 20/38                 Date: 22-Aug-03  @  02:07 AM   -   RE: human animals

FUCK

That was a up there

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 38 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum