0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: my top 5 albums of 2005

Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Original Message                 Date: 06-Dec-05  @  04:27 PM   -   my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

In order. MY top5.

1. Gorillaz - Demon Days
2. Beck - Guero
3. Nouvelle Vauge - Nouvelle Vauge
4. The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightening, Strike
5. Z - My Morning Jacket

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 91/105                 Date: 12-Jan-06  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

I know, 5 Brits!!!!! Oasis aren't going because their album didn't get nominated in the best album category. AHahahaha. Good.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 92/105                 Date: 12-Jan-06  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

k

Link?:  Link

yeah well, frankly OASIS would seem positively hardcore compared to the softpron tripe of Blunt... jesus man, whats it coming too, marketting has 100% taken over now it seems. And to think we used toi churn out inovative bands and genres a few years back.. not any more (apart from grime which is banned from mainstream radio tv mags and all awards as far as i can tell)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 93/105                 Date: 12-Jan-06  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

Link?: Link

aah grime and marketing in one sentence... mary anne hobbs was touting it as the greatest thing since sliced bread just few days ago. "a great new underground movement", "the energy in the club was amaaaaaazing" "worlwide scene" etc etc... its a bunch of 14 year olds in their bedrooms on fruityloops dammit! talk about marketing

personaly i thought Tempa's first album was great, then it all went downhill  

Message 94/105                 Date: 12-Jan-06  @  10:41 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

The Moujik

Milan - did you listen to that show? I thought it was pretty good...

Message 95/105                 Date: 12-Jan-06  @  11:20 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

indeed i did. have it on my HD actually  . i just dont like the downtempo-ish jagged darkness they are making nowadays. mind you, i do like my beats broken and have nothing against darkness... its just that all of that grime stuff sounds to me like it was made to be jagged, irritating and non-groovy. and i'll say its monotonous and not very innovative either.

but hey, if you like it i wont complain. thing is, i *really* liked Horsepower's first album, and i could get partially into the 2nd one. dubstep allstars... hmm... too much grinding bass and not much else... sounds like music stoned rusty robots would be listening to! i mean, how in hell do you dance to that shit???

and here's the link for those who DID like the show  :
breezeblock dubstep warz special

regards

Message 96/105                 Date: 12-Jan-06  @  11:23 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

on the other hand, anyone wants to talk about broken beat? agent k / bugz in the attic / maddslinky / 4hero?  

Message 97/105                 Date: 13-Jan-06  @  09:10 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

The problem with Grime is that most of the propducers don't know any music theory. The beats and (2 note) basslines are ace but where is the musical content? The only "musical" grime/dubstep producer (IMO) is DJ Distance.

The other reason I think Grime will only ever be a "pirate" radio/underground movement is because nobody dances at the raves. Its difficult when you have producers who release tunes that try and be more complex in the drum department than their prodcuer mates latest tunes because there is no "rolling groove" for the punters to dance too.

I've been to Foward (the scenes flagship night) twice and all the different crews just stood with the backsagainst the wall. Nodding moodly.

The Dubstep Allstars album sounded quite good in when it was released but it sounds a bit stupid now. IMO.

Message 98/105                 Date: 13-Jan-06  @  09:35 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

I've been to Foward twice and all the different crews just stood with the backs against the wall.

see, that exactly what i thought!

Message 99/105                 Date: 13-Jan-06  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

The Moujik

The problem with Grime is that most of the propducers don't know any music theory

I think if an in depth knowledge of musical theory was a pre-requisite, we wouldn't have had much decent music made in the past 20 years!

Anyway, each to his own... not keen on grime myself, but am liking the dubstep stuff I've heard recently.

Message 100/105                 Date: 13-Jan-06  @  01:40 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Drop

The Moujik wrote:

The problem with Grime is that most of the propducers dont know any music theory

I think if an in depth knowledge of musical theory was a pre-requisite, we wouldnt have had much decent music made in the past 20 years!

Anyway, each to his own... not keen on grime myself, but am liking the dubstep stuff Ive heard recently.

Not an in-depth music theory knowledge, I'm talking ANY music theory knowledge. There is only so far a 2 note bassline and one 3 note chord is gonna hold my interest for. IMO.

Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

There are 105 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum