0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Creating Beats

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Original Message                 Date: 07-Nov-99  @  10:29 AM   -   Creating Beats

karibe

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm wanting to know what do I really need to create some fat beats I have no hardware except for a computer with alot of memory. What all do I need to get started and how much would it cost.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 71/115                 Date: 24-Nov-99  @  11:29 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Yeah, I heard 1 and 2 at Sam Ash in NYC and was very impressed (suprisingly, because I had already purchased DRUM N BASS CONSTRUCTION SETS which ended up being a disappointment) Wish I had the money. I've been making the most of BREAKBEAT. Definitely the best sample cd for loops that I've owned. Gotta Junglize em yourself though cuz they're slow meaty breaks. Still having a hard time finding #1: good hard cymbals and rides (solo'd). #2: those 'wodden' snares. I was considering buying some cymbals and a snare in order to sample my own hits but I have no idea what to look for.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 72/115                 Date: 24-Nov-99  @  11:38 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Oh, in reference to kilos note on adding delay to loops, I was wondering if you guys had any tips on it. Maybe recommendations on: what parts to add it to and what time x/x works best. I'm guessing just the snare and a 3/4?

Message 73/115                 Date: 25-Nov-99  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

pongoid

Link?:  Link

d+b has gone ho-hum. sorry guys. not feelin it. try doin it autechre stylie, with sounds that just don't make sense in the real world, or get a real drummer. I've heard LIVE d+b, w/live drumer and bassist, and it's sick. Live synth as well. Bad stuff. If you're going to use the medium, make it go somewhere that it hasn't gone before. If you're going to use natural drum sounds, make them do unnatural things. Why not? I appreciate some of the crazy pads and bass sounds that people are using, but for the most part all of the rythms I've heard classified as d+b (wvery rareexception) bored me to utter tears. You little jungleheds get all hype about the easiest mixes and cross fade techniques. What happened to all of the crazy polyrythmic mixing that created jungle/drum'n'bass? You know? hip hip/trip hop, then some crazy breakmixed in over it to 'REMIX' the tune? Come on guys. I know y'all can do better for both mixing and producing. I wouldn't say it if I didn't have faith in youu.

Ape

Message 74/115                 Date: 25-Nov-99  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

I dunno Pongoid, I like the music as much as I have ever done. Admittedly, it aint as visionary or creative as it was, but name one style of music that hasn`t gone 2 sleep after the initial flurry of ideas. I mean, a lot of house bods still rely almost entirely on their 909 for beats and while thats a great sounding machine, they`ve been using it 4 well over a decade and they need 2 pull their finger out. The way I see it is, the musics in hibernation, preparing itself 2 burst out bigger and better than ever b4. As far as the UK goes, the scenes been stripped down 2 its bare bones - only the true believers r still involved in the scene, which is actually a good groundbase - all the badboys have fuctoff 2 the UK garge scene and all the moneygrabbers have gone back 2 House. Things will change but D+B`s just gotta find its feet again.............

Message 75/115                 Date: 25-Nov-99  @  07:07 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

nobody

so...what about those snares then? i was also thinking of getting a snare to record me beating the shit out of it to get nice & hard as fuck hits...what snare? shit, then i have to buy a mic, snare stand (?)...hmm...snare!!! damnit, that's probably the only way to get those hits i lust after so much

Message 76/115                 Date: 25-Nov-99  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Sox could probably help us out on this...HERE SOX! What's a price friendly snare that's got a lot of tone capability (and maybe good for D'n'B)? I think I remember seeing an SM-58 hanging over his kit so that would be a good cheap mic. In the sample section of this site there are some recordings of Tama and Rogers snares. It's suprising how much range of sound you can get out of them. I like the Tama5 and Rogers16 samples in particular. Wish they had several hit variations to make them more usable.

Message 77/115                 Date: 26-Nov-99  @  06:38 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

sox

Your best bet (believe it or not) is to use different size cardboard boxes! You will get some kickin' snare samples using a box. You can use large boxes for bass drums as well.
As far as using real snare drums, it's the tuning of them that makes them. The cheaper the drum, the longer it will take to get a decent sound out of it because of things like shell roundness or the bearing edges (where the shell meets the head). Remo make extremely good sounding snare drums that are very reasonably priced. I find Tama/Pearl drums are usually overpriced (check secondhand though, there's some good deals to be had in the LOOT mag). Look for the smaller shell/head size for that perfect Jungle snare ie. 13" x 3" or "Piccolo" snares as they are normally called. Then tighten the f**k out of the heads to get that 'bite' out of them.
Nobody and Fresh: you're both right about the different hits from the drum. If you're using a sampler set it up to trigger the different snare hits by velocity if you're searching for realism in your programming.

Have you checked out the MIDI file I posted in the New Jungle groove thread? Pay special attention to the velocity information and try and replicate that kind of info in your programming. Might take a while though, us drummers can play in 5 minutes what it take you progammers hours to do 

Message 78/115                 Date: 02-Dec-99  @  02:11 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

atari315

In regards to technics1200 turntables, their 25 year old patent is running up in y2k which means keep your eyes open for sick ass decks by other manufacturers.

Message 79/115                 Date: 02-Dec-99  @  06:22 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

They`ve just bought out a nu, revised verion of em. I dont think the patent matters anyway, the likes of Soundlab and Kam have been copying `nics for years.

Message 80/115                 Date: 03-Dec-99  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

cutoff_freq

Link?: Link

when all's said and done, there's still alot to be said for tracker progs. they're free, easy to use once you get into them, and lots of fun. i recommend Modplug Tracker which you can find at www.maz-sound.com. once you get that going, you're going to neeed soem samples, which is what my page is for. check it out at members.xoom.com/fortyfourone. even better is Dreamstation, a tracker like prog with it's own synth that leaves rebirth in the dust, but you'll have to shell out for that one.

enjoy this basic beat that i cant possibly truly epress without velocity values

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

There are 115 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum