0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Define "Live"

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 04-Apr-02  @  04:21 PM   -   Define

Mindspawn

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

What I'm on about has been touched on in a lot of threads of late. Just what constitues "live" in the sense of an electronic performance? Is playing a DAT live? How about using a DAT for backing while you play live bits over the top? How is using a sequencer all that different? How much manipulation of yer bits does it take before you're "live?"

I know there's a lot of differences, including artist vs audience perception. Just wonderin' what y'alls take on this was...

From me own perspective what satisfies my definition of "live" is no pre-recorded songs or backing, no individual sequence in excess of 32 measures in length, and doing something a little more involved than hitting a button or a knob once every ten minutes. That's not to say if you don't meet my "criteria" that you'd get no respect, far from it actually... I'm just giving out my own definition of what makes it LIVE for me, and that ain't necessarily what makes it good by any means....

Peace

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 71/79                 Date: 03-Jun-02  @  02:18 PM   -   RE: Define

99devils

Link?: Link

I can't tell you how nice it is to have people to bounce ideas like this off of..

I still may need to reorganize and break it down into smaller cases. I might be getting a new car with less trunk space soon and that 10-space monster won't fit anymore  

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 72/79                 Date: 03-Jun-02  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: Define

Maarten

Last Saturday I saw my first "live" act with laptops... urghhh *puke*, the two guys were standing stiff-still behind these 2 lappy's clicking on the mouse once in a while- I couldn't look... listened to the music but couldn't look t was disgracefull.

carry on

Message 73/79                 Date: 03-Jun-02  @  05:15 PM   -   RE: Define

Pongoid

Oh my Ford!, I'm so glad I don't have that Beta's job!

Ape

Message 74/79                 Date: 03-Jun-02  @  09:11 PM   -   RE: Define

knowa

I agree that watching people on laptops is usualy boring but I'm really into a glitchy sound right now (mille plateux, hobby industries) that I associate with laptops, bad posture, and vaguely library-like parties.

I'm saving/selling stuff towards a live-friendly set-up now and I'm curious about laptops.

does anyone know what s/w laptop users like Matmos or Geez'n'Gosh (aka Atom Heart) use? if it's just playback/muting that's corny, but often people talk about how much MORE control and imrov ability thay have since they dissed their mpc for the laptop...

Message 75/79                 Date: 03-Jun-02  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: Define

Protocol Droid

Link?:  No link

Or you could get an rm1x, which has 8 knobs (x2 functions) = 16 knobs to freely assign to anything. Good luck finding an affordable and stable external soundcard for the laptop. Those things are a pain in the ass to deal with. Just more crap to think about when dragging out a pc to play music live. I hear Ableton Live is pretty sweet, though. Anyone have any exp with it? Doesn't matter, I will continue to just cut loops out of my masters and string them together into a PA. Much easier that way, and I can focus the saved time on other things like creative knob assignments on lfo's and shit.

- Nick

- Nick

Message 76/79                 Date: 04-Jun-02  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: Define

Pongoid

Why not rewrite your live set from scratch? Why just recycle? I tried the recycling thing myself, and some liked the fact that they could recognize versions of tracks I had up, but it didn't feel nearly as fresh in playing as the stuff that was written specifically for the gig, and the stuff that was created on the spot, inspired by the moment. Not just little param tweaks, but new synth patches cooked up at the venue just before I played, new sequences programmed during the gig, (yes I went through all my seqs on one gig, while playing with a friend, so we just desync'd, he kept playing, and I programmed a couple sets of seqs and put together a couple sample presets, grabbed some unused synth patches, all of this in about two minutes or less, and just resync'd, restarted the clock, and busted back into the set) all really added up to a fresh, original, unique set. That's what live is. It's not the stuff in the studio. It's on the stage. You get the tools ready, but live should be live. That doesn't mean you shouldn't rehearse your stuff, but damn! If you're gonna say it's live, PLAY your gear, don't just preset it out.

Ape

Message 77/79                 Date: 04-Jun-02  @  06:00 PM   -   RE: Define

Pongoid

Laptops are not super conducive, on their own, to heavy amounts of live interaction. Ableton seems like it might be ok, but I haven't used it enough to say for sure. Most of these proggies are not geared for live sets. they are geared for intricate tweaks and pretty screens to keep ou interested in playing on them in the studio. How many folks like working in BUZZ?

Ape

Message 78/79                 Date: 04-Jun-02  @  06:54 PM   -   RE: Define

knowa

almost sure I'll end up with an RS7K nick, just curious to hear a pro-laptop voice. I've made some bad gear decisions in the past and I'm trying to do my homework on this one. I want a h/w version of NI battery b/c I love those loop fx and mapping loop parameters to controllers. can the synth-like Emu's do that?

pongoid--what seq do you use to slip in and out of record mode live? that's "live" by my definition. regardless of the philosphical question, it just doesen't seem fun if you can't add parts live!

Message 79/79                 Date: 04-Jun-02  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: Define

Pongoid

cubase 2.8, or in the last cae, my mmt8, but if you read and I explained correctly, I dropped out, and stopped my clock, recorded, then resync'd and restarted, while my buddy kept playing.

Ape

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 79 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum