0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: my top 5 albums of 2005

Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Original Message                 Date: 06-Dec-05  @  04:27 PM   -   my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

In order. MY top5.

1. Gorillaz - Demon Days
2. Beck - Guero
3. Nouvelle Vauge - Nouvelle Vauge
4. The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightening, Strike
5. Z - My Morning Jacket

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 61/105                 Date: 19-Dec-05  @  10:14 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

this a cool thread- anyone else got studio experiences with pros and any tips they would like to share- definitly gives you ideas for experimentation

greg

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 62/105                 Date: 19-Dec-05  @  11:31 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

yer, use a Roland Dimension D on your basslines. Best chorus in the world ever?

Message 63/105                 Date: 19-Dec-05  @  12:16 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

Link?: Link

heh... just what i need... after minimising my hardware studio setup get a huge box to take all the free space again.

mind you... those old roland boxes are totaly affordable nowadays, keep seeing space echos and such in small ads.

Message 64/105                 Date: 19-Dec-05  @  12:35 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

I heard that those UAD bods are doing a plug-in version of the Dimension D.

Message 65/105                 Date: 19-Dec-05  @  01:01 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

chorus on basslines? worth a go i guess....

greg

Message 66/105                 Date: 19-Dec-05  @  01:25 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

What I would like to know is if anyones got good programmed drums tips and tricks. I modulate pitch, attack and release via velocity. Is there anything else I could modulate (apart from cutoff and res) via velocity on drums in the exs24?

Over my drums, I have in this order:-

Logic Compressor
Logic lo cut eq
Sonic Maximiser
Autofilter (on a 12db filter) - cutoff to taste anything from 65% on kicks through to 95% on hats
Vintage Warmer

What other plug-ins are good over drums? Do you use overdrive and/or bitcrusher? Do you automate the parameteres depending on if you're in the verse or chorus? Do you put a bit of flange on your hi-hats? Do you like automating the modulation delay over percussion? What plug do you use on shakers to make them shakey?

Come on share the wealth?

Message 67/105                 Date: 19-Dec-05  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

dude... i think you're overdoing... no wonder you never finish anything with all those parameters to tweak/automate!  

i dont modulate anything in exs because then i'd need a channel for each *single* sample i use... if i need it i use battery. plugs? logic comp, waves red4 eq. i like bluetubes overdrive for distortion with its post drive hi/lo-pass filters. sounds kinda "warm" to me. maybe i use a gate for triggering a reverb on loudest hits only or whatever... dont use autofilter on anything cause i can never find a setting that sweeps the way i want it to. i started using logic exciter on NSkit because i like the in-your-face sound, like yer standig in front of a kit  

why are we talking about drums in this thread again?

Message 68/105                 Date: 19-Dec-05  @  03:39 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

most of the tricks i have utilse the mpc in that my sound comes more from layering/ reeveloping than any real effect...of course compression, eq, repitching are all key but all things your probably used to doing- the only thing i could offer that i sometimes do but you haven't mentioned is modulate the sample start point with velocity- this (if setup corrrectly) helps the quiter drum hits sound softer by starting the sample after the initial attack phase so is sometimes better for softer hits than using attack->velocity...

what is the auto-filter by the way? i once heard a cool tip using logic in that you cut the very lows of your bass and then used the autofilter to bring a more transparent low frequency in...but they said you had to sue auto-filter for it to work so wonder how the auto-filter differs to a normal lpass

greg
so i'd like effects tips too- i rarely run a whole beat through an effect as i lose bottom end and definition.....

Message 69/105                 Date: 19-Dec-05  @  04:14 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

mcc>

i agree the exciter plug-in in logic can be very nice.
the fact you hardly need to think about it is definitely a plus.

Message 70/105                 Date: 19-Dec-05  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

mcc>

and not that i'd ever try to achieve such a sound....but does anybody have any idea how PIL got that drum-sound on body?
that's a landmark achievement in terms of rock drums.
that album still shakes to this day every time i hear it.
a bit like led zeppelin with a brain.

Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

There are 105 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum