0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: why i am happy about the elections

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 13

Original Message                 Date: 06-Nov-02  @  01:21 PM   -   why i am happy about the elections

formant

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

this probably fits into the category K doesn't want posted here.

so fair warning... if you are offended by the topic of abortion quit reading. and take this point: i am not telling you what to believe, i am telling you what i believe so take it for what it is, an opinion.

ok i think that the republicans gaining control of the senate is the absolute most important thing to ever happen in the past 30 years.

this means that bush gets to appoint judges without having them blocked left and right. so just as clinton did before him, bush can put people into positions of power who are anti-abortion.

i think that abortion is the biggest travesty against human life in america since slavery.

just as the white slave owners of the blacks said that they were not human and thereby justified thier actions in pursuit of wealth i see the same thing happening today.

then it was 'these slaves are not humans therefore to gain wealth and happiness we will abuse them and do as we please with them... since they are not humans they have no rights'

today i see people saying the same thing:

'it doesn't matter that i have created a baby because it isn't a human being. i need to go to college/work/whatever so that i can be happy and prosperous. i will therefore do what i like with this nonhuman so that i can persue wealth and an easy life unhindered'

what exactly is the difference between the slave owners and the current people who choose to take human life in order to serve themselves?

i believe that *should* roe v wade get overturned in this country it will be a great stride forward for all humanity.

extremely inflammatory comment here: if bush gets abortion outlawed or at a minimum pushed back to a states right to choose america will be standing in defense of the helpless and needy.

i am aware many do not agree with me but that is fine. many people were against lincoln when he tried to abolish slavery, afterall they weren't humans.

you guys can slam me if you want (used to it) but this has to be the most important civil rights issue since the MLK days and it affects people of all colors and nationalities indiscriminately.

i hope that justice comes for the innocent lives that are lost every day in the name of greed and selfishness.

jamey

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 61/122                 Date: 07-Nov-02  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

formant

cuz i am honestly not up to debating 40 people at once...

jamey

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 62/122                 Date: 07-Nov-02  @  06:53 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

k

hey - I already replied above - My take on it is it's down to education as usual, the LAST thing any rampant capitalist society wants to fund. They prefer arueing and fighting and trying to get someone else to pay for the danmage afterwards.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 63/122                 Date: 07-Nov-02  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

bedwyr

Link?: Link

then why the hell did you post this in the first place jamey?

Message 64/122                 Date: 07-Nov-02  @  08:04 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

formant

i was up to it prior to the ass kicking i was given... now it just doesn't seem worth the effort...

jamey

Message 65/122                 Date: 07-Nov-02  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

nomad

http://www.silentscream.org/silent_e.htm

i think if we are going to talk about it, we should know a little about what it is. that is a description of abortion by bernard nathanson, one of the founders of NARAL and who ran the largest abortion clinic in the country for two years. he is now a pro-life advocate.

Message 66/122                 Date: 07-Nov-02  @  08:46 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

errata

Link?:  No link

That's not the point of this debate...

His coments are loaded and aimed at eliciting responses from the rest of us that he has predetermined answers for.

There's no closed mindedness here on my part. Just a general weariness... sorry.

e

Message 67/122                 Date: 07-Nov-02  @  08:50 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

bedwyr

it never is worth debating online with so many people, imo. there's no moderation and it always ends up in a big slanging match where not much is resolved. except some people resolving never to get involved in these sort of things again.  

Message 68/122                 Date: 07-Nov-02  @  08:59 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Mindspawn

psylichon, you're right. My apologies to you and jamey, and anyone else for "going off" without justification.

As for belief in the "soul," seems like a construct. I dunno. As to what I believe about the soul, I don't. I figure we're born, we live, we die, we rot. What we have is right here, right now. If you spend all your time acting in xyz way for the purpose of a better afterlife, you might just miss your one opportunity... you might not. I've never been dead so I couldna say.

I do think at the moment of death, our brains do everything they can to help us deal with it, namely conjuring up our best memeories and fantasies, so that when we go into the void, that last instant, which becomes our eternity, we go where we want based on what we believe and what means the most to us... So those that believe in heaven, assume they'll be with their families, etc., that's what happens for the them and so on. It allows for all religions, creeds, or lack thereof....

Just a couple of pesos from the tentacled one....

Message 69/122                 Date: 07-Nov-02  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Ghost

...or it also could be that we never die. we can't experience our own death, so we can never die.

consciousness, like the energy in the universe, is preserved.... our presence in the universe becomes less "likely" as we live out our lives... so as we live, we experience a universe that is less and less likely for us to be in it.... so, take that to the extreme future and what do you get? very, very "unlikely" and bizarre universes where we still continue to exist....

what does this look like to me, the observer? a universe that gets progressively weirder and weirder, but with me still in it somehow, some way....

one possible scenario is that I may die physically one day, only to be be reawakened by an alien race at a far future date to serve as a slave, or as food for their young... this event, though extremely unlikely, must take place since it is the only way to preserve my consciousness.....

I hope my new masters are insectile.

no wait, I'm stoned. nevermind!

Message 70/122                 Date: 07-Nov-02  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

errata

Link?:  No link

I think we live countless lifetimes. And therefore death does us no harm but the confusion born of the radical change in our perspective.

The harm in killing is the damage it does to the killer!

e

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 13

There are 122 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum