0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Vocal samples?

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Original Message                 Date: 14-Jun-00  @  11:41 PM   -   Vocal samples?

nickdej

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Anybody know of any sites that have vocal samples(whole songs) on them? I currently need some lyrics to mix with a song.

~n

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 61/84                 Date: 21-Jul-00  @  01:35 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

casparproject

Link?: Link

Alright, I guess its time for me to jump in here. As much as I feel art and music as an individual creative endeavour is worthwhile, I think theres one problem with art for the sake of public consumption that can be seen over the course of the 20'th century.

Fist of all, I want to emphasize that commercialization CREATED the act of plagiarism in art and music. Before the commercialization, it was common practice to work off of other peoples music, art etc, in order to learn and of course recontexturalize others ideas.

The problem with todays "plagiarism", however, is that it has taken the learning process out of the loop, it is now all about recontexturalizing that which is considered "profitable" you can see this very clearly in Warhol's art, (but because he was doing it intellectually, I see the intent behind his work as the thing that defines it as art).

You see, most DJ's are not playing records in order to learn from the great masters of techno. They aren't even doing it while intellectualising about the fact that they are the true representatives of this culture, yet they are not producers, they are consumers. They are doing it to profit from their use of other peoples work.

The same as boy bands who recycle each others same popular chord progressions over and over again so they can quadruple the record companies returns, most DJ's are choosing the music that they feel will get them a gig at that club downtown.

IMHO "art", at this point in time is no longer a creative venture. Art has really been an intellectual and political thing that started with the Dadaists in the visual domain and the Serialists in the musical domain at the turn of the century. Since that point, art and music moved further and further from the audience, and deeper into the recesses of the mind. The most recent being the minimalist movement. To be honest, I sometimes wonder whether western music and art has died with the minimalists, and thus techno is the last dying breath of the western minimalist musical movement. The next logical step, therefore, is to dive back into visual and sonic chaos, and pull out some new languages. DJ's are not artists, they are far from it, they are just consumers like any old lady buying a sinatra record and puttin it on her old victrola.

Peaceout,

Peter

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 62/84                 Date: 21-Jul-00  @  03:49 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

jj

Well, we can hardly say that we entered into a "debate" here. Doubt thats possible. And arrogance, more like distaste for an attitude of ignorance, so ubiquitous and toxic, from which I don't see you deveating much, pict. Our differences are too fundamental to debate coffee. But I must say that the above mentioned ubiquitous and toxic attitude of ignornace (utai) is a contemporary invention. You ask for a return to "age old values", but that concept is a marketing scheme, and you should know better.

Caspar, I don't think you can make the distinction between consumer and producer so easily. Everything in the universe has a mouth and an asshole, eternally linked by the most fundamental design elements of CREATION (CREATIon... CREAtion... Creation... creation <-fading reverbed out echo). Just so happens that Dj's are assholes... who cares, life without an asshole is a bitch, just go ask pict. See, that was uncalled for, and I apologize Pict, I just couldn't keep a straight face any longer.

Message 63/84                 Date: 21-Jul-00  @  08:40 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

nobody

Link?:  Link

Warhol coined the term Superstar.

noise is music.

hey, i'm still reading :]

Message 64/84                 Date: 21-Jul-00  @  08:52 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

pict

JJ it sounds to me like you need a few more "assholes" in your body to help expel some of that shit you're full of if you want to get into shit slinging take it to the slaggit room I'll be glad to bandy expletives with you there.

Message 65/84                 Date: 23-Jul-00  @  06:52 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

k

all i can say is - no politic's please.. but just from a logistical point of view... if U use a vocalist they'll do what you want.. and you get all those juyicy samples.. i've got samples of vocalists i paid for that have lasted me years and ive been able to use them again and again, and they are MINE... so you can create vocals unique to yourself... just call the MU, get a list of vocalists in the style you want in you're locality, and hire one... pay them an hour to come down and just sing endless phrases which you dat or tape etc.. pay them their hour wages, and off they go... most of them can send tapes of their work so you can pick the one you want at your leisure..

just get everything ready for the session and be proffessional, and for the hour rate you'll get hundreds of unique vocal parts copyright to yourself which you can use again and again... superb!!!

Message 66/84                 Date: 24-Jul-00  @  03:00 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

jj

Some really good advice, at last!

Pict, beautiful, you've very wisely gathered that I take in more than I put out, very sharp.

Message 67/84                 Date: 24-Jul-00  @  11:49 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

casparproject

Link?: Link

My gecko's breath smells like crickets.

Message 68/84                 Date: 24-Jul-00  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

k

think about, and plan the session... have 4 or 5 or whatever tempo's, and under that a simple bassline to set the key... layout some keys ready to go... then get her/him to sing each tempo and key for the phrases you want, then you can also use timestretch/pitchstretch etc to further fine-tune your basic samples in the future

Message 69/84                 Date: 24-Jul-00  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

swanofnever

hey, i realize this may come a bit late, and perhaps you're looking for something else, but i just ran across this page and couldn't help remembering this post:

http://www.maz-sound.com/products/_vocal-construction-kit/english.html

(just download the "demo sounds")... don't know if this helps, haven't heard any of them, just thought i'd try to help...

Message 70/84                 Date: 30-Jul-00  @  07:36 AM   -   RE: Vocal samples?

r-tek

this whole thread is just ridiculous. Stop thinking about all this as "art", for most of us its about making people dance. Dancefloors - y`all remember? Why we all got into this in the 1st place? When in our naive state of mind we actually thought this was all about FUN. Thats it people, FUN. Enjoying youself, smiling for once, forgetting about how shit things can sometimes be by going out and a Friday night and dancing and having a laugh. If matey wants to lift some tired and overused vox in his pursuit of "art", then let him, thats no concern of anybody else. Just cut the pretentious, holier than thou crap and hell! Go make some music or summing outrageous like that, eh?

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

There are 84 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum